HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone trying out windows 8?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #16

Actually I installed Win8 on a HP TM2 laptop with i3 processor (x86 hardware). The touch interface (Metro) was excellent.

Win8 is meant to move toward touch interface, just too bad if you are using mouse.
I believe windows tablet pc user will be happy than ever to have windows 8. It kinda "reborn" the tablet pc.

But to a laptop/desktop user, metro is a pain in the ass.
why would I want to have metro app on my pc? Metro app are touch friendly but not mouse friendly.
Whenever I want to see more contents in metro app, I have to move my cursor all the way to bottom to scroll. The same applied in order to see in-app option.

Why charms bar on my pc?
I don't understand why I have move my cursor to extreme right of the screen just to access to change my some settings or to shut down my pc.

start screen is disturbing.
Without the start menu, I must goes through the start screen in order to launch desktop programs. It will cause many distraction if the user want to do some serious works in desktop mode. So example if I want to launch word ,powerpoint and photoshop, I have go to the start screen then switch back to desktop for 3 times.

I know what microsoft is trying to do here but it's not the right time(or right UI) yet.

Last edited by JuXn5566; 03-03-2012 at 07:46 PM..
JuXn5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #17

at the lower right corner there is a setting button. That setting button is actually a stand alone config for every application. At 1st it is quite confusing as i thought the setting is only for system and metro.
Thanks for the info! I oso thought the setting is only for Metro. I was hunting high and low for the setting when I was in Desktop mode too.

Now the weather in celcius liao.

Using a non-touch PC, I find that Windows 8 is very keyboard and corners dependent. There is definitely a learning curve but it is something you get used to quite quickly since the switching is very fluid. Still a bit jarring at times though.

And I miss the Accessories folder and my command prompt in desktop mode. For those new to Windows 8, they will find a lot of things missing when they are actually hidden. And why can't I pin All Apps to my Start! Must right click on a blank space in Metro before I can click on it! 2 steps instead of one. Not very obvious some more.

Last edited by Masz; 03-03-2012 at 08:32 PM..
Masz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
High Supremacy Member

Metro style is indeed more for touch pc/tablets not desktop/laptop.
I already send a email to the Windows 8 team about this but seems
like they have no comments on this.
techidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #19

I like what this article said about windows 8
Metro breakdown! Windows 8 UI is little gain for lots of pain ? The Register
JuXn5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #20

i have been using W8 on a Virtual Box and on an older laptop. I guess you need to get used to:
1) The charm bar is the new menu bar for all metro apps. That means settings, printing, sharing, etc are done for all metro apps through the charm bar
2) The 2 left corners manage the running apps and start menu
3) Right corners brings up charm bar
4) The "old" desktop is now an app. Within this app, you can still install all your non-metro programs (games, utilities, etc). Pin them to your task bar or create a sea of icons on the desktop and basically you have what you had in Win7. I can stay in this desktop to do nearly all the stuff I do in Win7 (play games, surf, listen to music, chat).

Not sure why the loss of the old start button is being treated like the end of the world by some people. Just hit start and type away and you see list of apps, settings, files matching your search.

I guess if you want your old start menu back, just pin your fav programs, control panel, etc to the new start menu and you are good to go. Instead of icons and words, you now have tiles.

Anyways, I enjoyed using W8. I have to agree that the metro UI is more suited to tablets (especially the use of thumbs to trigger the left and right screen options). But I don't see what I am missing out on using mouse/keyboard in W8 when the old desktop is there for me to use as an app that I dont have to exit out from until I choose to.

I have seen what bad UI (example Unity on Ubuntu) can do to screw up your work flow. But it looks like Metro is getting a bad rap way too soon.
jtjagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #21

Window = metro
Window + C = charm bar
alt - enter = old sch cycle

really need to get use of these. lol..
Desaturated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #22

If Metro is really the way forward I don't mind having to relearn how to navigate the UI. Heck, even Linux seems to be hopping on the 'touch' trend with the new Gnome 3 DE and to a lesser extent, Canonical's Unity UI for Ubuntu.

What I refuse to accept is the intrusive, annoying-as-hell behavior of sliding the desktop UI and the Metro UI in and out non-stop. Either find some way to make the switching less in-the-way or completely drop the desktop UI in Windows 8, period.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #23

I've always liked the Metro UI so by extension I like Windows 8. While there are some stuff you would want fixed, it's mostly fine once you get used to it.

Anyone knows of an easy way to get your programs running normally if you installed on another partition?
phazer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #24

Further to my moan about selecting emails in the email app...

You can select multiple emails. To do that, you slide the email slightly to the right, and that will select and hold it, while you slide even more emails. Then delete/move in one go. Much better, same as Windows Phone (but slide instead of tap).
Twisticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #25
Arch-Supremacy Member

Microsoft should allow end users to select whether they want Metro UI or the Classic Windows interface.

Forcing users to go straight to Metro UI is really unacceptable. ultimately we are paying for your product. we should have the ease of switching rather than i haf to LLST and learn it all over again.

U have to tink for the generation that stuck with MS interface for close to 18yrs.
Mclairs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #26
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm using dev preview for quite some time. If I want to upgrade to CP, can I just pop in the dvd and choose upgrade? Or must I format and reisntall all my apps?
quekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #27

Further to my moan about selecting emails in the email app...

You can select multiple emails. To do that, you slide the email slightly to the right, and that will select and hold it, while you slide even more emails. Then delete/move in one go. Much better, same as Windows Phone (but slide instead of tap).
one thing about the mail and messaging app. Anyone have any idea how to delete the hotmail account?
Desaturated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #28

Microsoft should allow end users to select whether they want Metro UI or the Classic Windows interface.

Forcing users to go straight to Metro UI is really unacceptable. ultimately we are paying for your product. we should have the ease of switching rather than i haf to LLST and learn it all over again.

U have to tink for the generation that stuck with MS interface for close to 18yrs.
I call BS on the bolded text. Last I checked, less than 4 in a group of 10 people actually paid the $ for a legit copy of Windows 7. And users of pirated Windows copies have NO (read: zero) right to tell Microsoft what they should put on their upcoming operating system.

And clinging on to those 18-yr-old customers is not going to help Microsoft grow its customer base, especially when their market share has dipped below 80% already. It's common business sense that the payoffs involved in winning over new younger consumers are much greater than pleasing a group of old foggies where looking ahead is concerned.

Last edited by Rock-kun; 04-03-2012 at 10:55 PM..
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #29

Well I don't think we should be pampering to luddites either, they just hold the rest of the world back.

With Win8, MS is forward thinking...2011 saw tablet (mostly iPad) sales out-strip PC sales for the first time. The future is tablet computing. Most people will be using Win8 on a touch-screen tablet - thus the desktop comes in second place.

Sure, there is still a place for it, and I *do* think there should be a default desktop like Win7, for those that want to run that way.

But Metro is designed for the next generation of users, not those from Win3.1 era...and they use their fingers.

Win8's strength is that it brings FULL PC capability to a finger-friendly form factor. This is going to kill in the corporate world, for workers on-site and road warriors.
Twisticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #30

Win8's strength is that it brings FULL PC capability to a finger-friendly form factor. This is going to kill in the corporate world, for workers on-site and road warriors.
Urm...no?

For starters, accessing the file system in Windows 8 is a very tacky affair: you first select the My Computer button in Metro (i forgot what the button is really called), and then Metro slides out to reveal the Desktop interface, upon which it brings up a window of the selected directory / filesystem.

That's not what I would call 'full PC functionality' in a tablet, but a 'half-baked attempt to put the PC into the tablet'. And let's face it, Metro was originally designed for smartphones, which implies 'few applications and zero mucking around the Windows file hierarchy'.

A work-centred Windows installation that does not let you muck around the file system and hierarchy? That is seriously not going to sit well with IT and systems administrators in any organization thinking of introducing Win 8-powered slates into the environment.

Besides, playing with Windows 8 for a while gives me the feeling that the 'Settings' option in Metro and the 'Control Panel' in the Desktop interface only handle their own settings respectively, and do not manipulate any universal settings across the operating system, ie: cobbled on together with Desktop interface being the left hand, and Metro being the right hand, in a classic case of the brain not knowing what either hand is up to.

Again, if Metro is going to be Microsoft's baby, they better do something about it fast. It's an excellent UI for smartphones, and I'll concede that it might be a good UI for tablets. But the switching between Metro and Desktop must be made less intrusive; that, or ditch Desktop completely and port all its functionality into Metro somehow.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.