HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone trying out windows 8?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #31

I think microsoft should give user an option to use Metro UI or the old Windows start menu.
sadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #32

Sry for this stupid question, but how do I use IE10? Every time I click Internet explorer in the metro app section it will take me to the old IE. What should I do?
amiWul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #33
Arch-Supremacy Member

I decided to format everything and install CP brand new

but now whatever I click inside the metro, it tells me my screen is too small :banghead:

cant even launch store or IE! end up back to the old interface, then what's the point of giving me metro by default?
quekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #34

omg after a few restarting, win8 is booting surprisingly fast! it only took 6sec and i am using HDD
Desaturated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #35

omg after a few restarting, win8 is booting surprisingly fast! it only took 6sec and i am using HDD
Well I am running on a W500 with crappy AMD C-50 processor and 2GB RAM...and it is BLAZINGLY fast. MS have done so much work on optimisation its incredible.

Same as Windows Phone runs on simple single cores and can achieve common tasks faster than Android and Apple devices, I can see that MS has really given thought to the user in Win8.

And that six seconds...that is *start up* not *wake up*!!!
Twisticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #36
Windows 8 sub-forum in Software Clinic only

when the official w8 cum out?
Hi enrell69,

We have no information yet when Windows 8 will be released in the market for full version of course. Stay tuned! Also you can follow our twitter on @Microsoft_SG and Microsoft Singapore.
Old 13-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #37

is Windows To Go possible for consumer preview?
ashhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #38
Arch-Supremacy Member

I call BS on the bolded text. Last I checked, less than 4 in a group of 10 people actually paid the $ for a legit copy of Windows 7. And users of pirated Windows copies have NO (read: zero) right to tell Microsoft what they should put on their upcoming operating system.

And clinging on to those 18-yr-old customers is not going to help Microsoft grow its customer base, especially when their market share has dipped below 80% already. It's common business sense that the payoffs involved in winning over new younger consumers are much greater than pleasing a group of old foggies where looking ahead is concerned.
Read my post carefully before u comment anything. If you can't catch it, let me make bigger for you

I said, Microsoft should ALLOW end users to choose between classic and Metro UI interface. By allowing end users to choose between them, make a plus point for Microsoft as well..

And lets not go towards to whether end users is using pirated version or not.

Last edited by Mclairs83; 13-03-2012 at 09:20 AM..
Mclairs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #39
Arch-Supremacy Member

Well I don't think we should be pampering to luddites either, they just hold the rest of the world back.

With Win8, MS is forward thinking...2011 saw tablet (mostly iPad) sales out-strip PC sales for the first time. The future is tablet computing. Most people will be using Win8 on a touch-screen tablet - thus the desktop comes in second place.

Sure, there is still a place for it, and I *do* think there should be a default desktop like Win7, for those that want to run that way.

But Metro is designed for the next generation of users, not those from Win3.1 era...and they use their fingers.

Win8's strength is that it brings FULL PC capability to a finger-friendly form factor. This is going to kill in the corporate world, for workers on-site and road warriors.
No problem, if Microsoft is heading tat direction by forcing end users to go for Metro UI, i would gladly dump Windows for good, and head towards Apple anytime. I will just convert my Windows to VM just in case i need to use any applications tat is not available for MacOSX.

End consumers haf the rights to choose what platform they want to use anyway, plus its becoming more easier to do hackintosh nowadays.
Old 13-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #40

No problem, if Microsoft is heading tat direction by forcing end users to go for Metro UI, i would gladly dump Windows for good, and head towards Apple anytime. I will just convert my Windows to VM just in case i need to use any applications tat is not available for MacOSX.

End consumers haf the rights to choose what platform they want to use anyway, plus its becoming more easier to do hackintosh nowadays.
Sure you can do that...but you can't do it on a tablet. MacOSX is laptop/desktop only.

So if you want a tablet with full PC capability, then Win8 is still the only viable option in development.

And I truly believe that consumers have the rights to choose, and I am sure they already are; tablet sales have far exceeded netbook sales already, Apple has sold more iPads than any other PC manufacturer alone has sold laptops in the last quarter. It's likely that in the next couple of years that tablet sales will outstrip PC sales altogether.

We're moving into a post-PC era, where the traditional keyboard/mouse will remain the domain of geeks and industry-sepcific applications, and where tablets or tablet convertibles will be the format of choice for consumers and office workers. And no doubt even laptops will have touch screens that require a finger friendly interface.

The people complaining about Win8 now remind me of my Granny who bemoaned the move from typewriters to word processors...just because she personally didn't agree with it, doesn't mean that the next generation won't embrace such things whole heartedly.

THe revolution is coming people, fight it or go with it
Old 13-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #41

Sure you can do that...but you can't do it on a tablet. MacOSX is laptop/desktop only.

So if you want a tablet with full PC capability, then Win8 is still the only viable option in development.

And I truly believe that consumers have the rights to choose, and I am sure they already are; tablet sales have far exceeded netbook sales already, Apple has sold more iPads than any other PC manufacturer alone has sold laptops in the last quarter. It's likely that in the next couple of years that tablet sales will outstrip PC sales altogether.

We're moving into a post-PC era, where the traditional keyboard/mouse will remain the domain of geeks and industry-sepcific applications, and where tablets or tablet convertibles will be the format of choice for consumers and office workers. And no doubt even laptops will have touch screens that require a finger friendly interface.

The people complaining about Win8 now remind me of my Granny who bemoaned the move from typewriters to word processors...just because she personally didn't agree with it, doesn't mean that the next generation won't embrace such things whole heartedly.

THe revolution is coming people, fight it or go with it
I get you on win8 is going forward. but...
since there's no way to turn laptop/desktop into tablet then why force user to use metro interface?
tablet with full pc capability? metro is full pc capability? metro apps look no different from other tablet OS apps.
Daihenka likes this.

Last edited by JuXn5566; 13-03-2012 at 11:18 PM..
JuXn5566 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #42

I get you on win8 is going forward. but...
since there's no way to turn laptop/desktop into tablet then why force user to use metro interface?
tablet with full pc capability? metro is full pc capability? metro apps look no different from other tablet OS apps.
win8 is out?
Daihenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #43

win8 is out?
Beta aka consumer preview only.
Windows 8 Consumer Preview
Old 13-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #44

I
No, Win8 is full PC capability. I am using it on my W500 Iconia right now. If I want to use tablet only for surfing or watching streamed movies in bed, I can.
If I want to review excel sheets in a full office version of excel, I can also.

Sure metro apps are great for walking with fingers, but the killer thing about Win8 and what sets it apart from iPad or Android is that you can use all those FULL programs also.

In real life, Win8 makes a lot of sense when you get over the "need" for a taskbar, and realize that screen real estate is better managed with the side menus. Flipping between apps and programs is of course more tablet style than PC style, but that is human/device interaction protocol that is increasingly common and more importantly, totally expected by the new generation of computer users. You have to remember, from here on in most computer users will get introduced to computing in a tablet or smartphone environment...to them it makes no sense to then sit at a desktop and use entirely different conventions to the ones they are used to.

We heard all the same protests and end-of-the-world predictions when MS got rid of the DOS prompt...but I bet half the people on these boards don't even know what a DOS prompt is, and the other half can do what they need to do with the Run command. See, we humans are pretty good at adapting ;0
Old 14-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #45

No, Win8 is full PC capability. I am using it on my W500 Iconia right now. If I want to use tablet only for surfing or watching streamed movies in bed, I can.
If I want to review excel sheets in a full office version of excel, I can also.

Sure metro apps are great for walking with fingers, but the killer thing about Win8 and what sets it apart from iPad or Android is that you can use all those FULL programs also.

In real life, Win8 makes a lot of sense when you get over the "need" for a taskbar, and realize that screen real estate is better managed with the side menus. Flipping between apps and programs is of course more tablet style than PC style, but that is human/device interaction protocol that is increasingly common and more importantly, totally expected by the new generation of computer users. You have to remember, from here on in most computer users will get introduced to computing in a tablet or smartphone environment...to them it makes no sense to then sit at a desktop and use entirely different conventions to the ones they are used to.

We heard all the same protests and end-of-the-world predictions when MS got rid of the DOS prompt...but I bet half the people on these boards don't even know what a DOS prompt is, and the other half can do what they need to do with the Run command. See, we humans are pretty good at adapting ;0
I see. But I think the mainstream Win8 tablet will be ARM based, x86 app will not run on it. Also, having a desktop UI in a ARM based tablet is completely unnecessary. As for x86 tablet, I think the current UI worked very well.
I like many improvements that microsoft have made in Win8 but it always annoyed me when I had to go through metro start screen in order to launch app/program. Metro can remain in laptop/desktop but they should at least add option of changing back to old start menu. So that it will a smoother learning curve for most windows user.

Want to share an interesting windows 8 user video here.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.