naked123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Great Supremacy Member

Me downloaded, go home then try in vm
Mach3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Windows 8 sub-forum in Software Clinic only

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the TS to brought this thread to the forum. We would like to gather your opinion regarding this Windows 8 Consumer Preview. What do you think about Windows 8? Any comments are welcome.

Thank you and hope to see more reply here.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #4

I was running Dev Preview and now Consumer Preview on Acer Iconia W500.

Wow - the consumer preview is miles ahead of the previous version. Lots more features and functionality.

ON a clean install, the W500 needs g-sensor and bluetooth drivers from Acer website or install disc, and lets face it the C-50 is a crappy processor... I would also like the blue logo key to be dimmable, its very bright in a dark room surfing in bed

But even so, Win8 flies along, never feels sluggish. This is a very sleak and streamlined OS.

You can see much closer styling, similar to Windows Phone. Apps like the Photo App now aggregates photos from all your sources, like local drive, sky drive, facebook, flickr etc, just like on WP. Very cool. Now your settings, documents, pix, music, vids etc can be synched across PC, tablet, phone quite easily, much better than iCloud or Live Mesh was. Contacts too, from Facebook, Local, LinkedIn, Live/Hotmail are all available in the People app - just need to logon with Microsoft Account (Live/Hotmail) to enable all the syncing. Although, at the moment the "whats new" section wastes a lot of space as each new item has its own box and thus a lot of side scrolling.
ALso messaging, all aggregated from your social networks into one app. These are very neat features and that WIndows Phone feel really works well in tablet environment.

Some of the deeper menus are still not very finger friendly - try changing the time and you get a small box and two up/down arrows...such input fields should pop up the big scroll wheel same as WP, much better for fingers. Accessing settings is hit n miss...the metro settings menu is pretty basic, and the old control panel is trickier to find.

I don't know what we can't have a key for programs in the desktop mode...often used programs can be pinned to taskbar (or metro screen) but when you're looking for something its a weird mash of metro/desktop switching.

The W500 has limited resoltion of 1280X800, so cannot snap windows to quarter or half screen as you can on higher-res screens. Thus, you spend a lot of time swiping from the left to bring up all the open apps to switch between. A bit annoying if you are trying to hold a messenger conversation while surfing, coz you have to switch the full app...the windows arent windows any more, just different screens to select from.

One thing on WP is that in most native apps, three little dots will usually take you to setting relevant to that app. I wish there was more of this on Win8, but this is still preview I guess.

What I truly dont understand is running two versions of IE on the same tablet...sure one is metro (simple, fast, effificent) and one is desktop version (same same) but the desktop version will do flash, and the metro one won't...so some sites I have to copy/paste the web address across to the other version just to see flash - annoying.

ALso, right click (press n hold) is too slow. Surely we should be looking at two finger click to some action for right-click by now? And when menus do pop up, they are Win7 style...why not have a little grid of boxes like the rest of the metro interface, or at least use the same font consistently across the desktop mode as well as Metro mode. Cut n Paste needs work too...its a bit hit and miss if you are in desktop mode or trying to copy a web address in metro m

Last edited by Twisticles; 02-03-2012 at 04:52 PM..
Twisticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #5

And while the weather app is cool, I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the temperatures to celsius instead of farenheit
Old 02-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #6

This might help people understand the philosphy behind Win8, and some of the neat features
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Quite a good installation procedure. Windows recognized all my drivers, and i only have to install the driver for graphics card(though support for native resolution was present).

Took me a while to get used to the lack of Start button as well as finding the shutdown button

An oddity/bug which I noticed is that when dual booting W7/W8, sometime i will have the new blue bootscreen and sometime its the classic text-only black bootscreen. Anyone facing this too?

Last edited by ceecookie; 02-03-2012 at 07:10 PM..
ceecookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
Master Member

next time use vmware and test the os.

connect edmw.no-ip.org
naked123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:50 AM   #9

when the official w8 cum out?
enrell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #10

And while the weather app is cool, I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the temperatures to celsius instead of farenheit
Let me know if you found out how! Ahaha
Masz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #11

I was running Dev Preview and now Consumer Preview on Acer Iconia W500.

Wow - the consumer preview is miles ahead of the previous version. Lots more features and functionality.

ON a clean install, the W500 needs g-sensor and bluetooth drivers from Acer website or install disc, and lets face it the C-50 is a crappy processor... I would also like the blue logo key to be dimmable, its very bright in a dark room surfing in bed

But even so, Win8 flies along, never feels sluggish. This is a very sleak and streamlined OS.

You can see much closer styling, similar to Windows Phone. Apps like the Photo App now aggregates photos from all your sources, like local drive, sky drive, facebook, flickr etc, just like on WP. Very cool. Now your settings, documents, pix, music, vids etc can be synched across PC, tablet, phone quite easily, much better than iCloud or Live Mesh was. Contacts too, from Facebook, Local, LinkedIn, Live/Hotmail are all available in the People app - just need to logon with Microsoft Account (Live/Hotmail) to enable all the syncing. Although, at the moment the "whats new" section wastes a lot of space as each new item has its own box and thus a lot of side scrolling.
ALso messaging, all aggregated from your social networks into one app. These are very neat features and that WIndows Phone feel really works well in tablet environment.

Some of the deeper menus are still not very finger friendly - try changing the time and you get a small box and two up/down arrows...such input fields should pop up the big scroll wheel same as WP, much better for fingers. Accessing settings is hit n miss...the metro settings menu is pretty basic, and the old control panel is trickier to find.

I don't know what we can't have a key for programs in the desktop mode...often used programs can be pinned to taskbar (or metro screen) but when you're looking for something its a weird mash of metro/desktop switching.

The W500 has limited resoltion of 1280X800, so cannot snap windows to quarter or half screen as you can on higher-res screens. Thus, you spend a lot of time swiping from the left to bring up all the open apps to switch between. A bit annoying if you are trying to hold a messenger conversation while surfing, coz you have to switch the full app...the windows arent windows any more, just different screens to select from.

One thing on WP is that in most native apps, three little dots will usually take you to setting relevant to that app. I wish there was more of this on Win8, but this is still preview I guess.

What I truly dont understand is running two versions of IE on the same tablet...sure one is metro (simple, fast, effificent) and one is desktop version (same same) but the desktop version will do flash, and the metro one won't...so some sites I have to copy/paste the web address across to the other version just to see flash - annoying.

ALso, right click (press n hold) is too slow. Surely we should be looking at two finger click to some action for right-click by now? And when menus do pop up, they are Win7 style...why not have a little grid of boxes like the rest of the metro interface, or at least use the same font consistently across the desktop mode as well as Metro mode. Cut n Paste needs work too...its a bit hit and miss if you are in desktop mode or trying to copy a web address in metro m
I'm thinking of getting the Acer Iconia W500 to run Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Is it recommended? Is everything working?

Last edited by Masz; 03-03-2012 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Masz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
High Supremacy Member

I'm thinking of getting the Acer Iconia W500 to run Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Is it recommended? Is everything working?
Only thing u need to take note is the driver, I only know
windows 8 have the driver for the graphic card but the rest
u will need to look.
techidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #13

Seriously, fix the slide-in-slide-out behavior between Metro and the desktop interface when the 'Start' panel is selected. It's annoying as hell.

And set a switch within the installation that automatically loads the desktop interface and disables Metro if it detects x86 hardware, and vice versa on ARM hardware. A desktop / notebook / netbook does not need a bloody phone interface.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

Seriously, fix the slide-in-slide-out behavior between Metro and the desktop interface when the 'Start' panel is selected. It's annoying as hell.

And set a switch within the installation that automatically loads the desktop interface and disables Metro if it detects x86 hardware, and vice versa on ARM hardware. A desktop / notebook / netbook does not need a bloody phone interface.
Actually I installed Win8 on a HP TM2 laptop with i3 processor (x86 hardware). The touch interface (Metro) was excellent.

Win8 is meant to move toward touch interface, just too bad if you are using mouse.
michael_thm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #15

at the lower right corner there is a setting button. That setting button is actually a stand alone config for every application. At 1st it is quite confusing as i thought the setting is only for system and metro.
Desaturated is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.