Partitions suggestions for Win 10 OS

Maserati

Reaction score
Hi any advise on what sort of partition layout for a Win 10 OS?

Last time I used to do for XP

Win XP
Data
Etc..

Currently I would format and install WIN10 any suggestions ?

Thanks

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi any advise on what sort of partition layout for a Win 10 OS?

Last time I used to do for XP

Win XP
Data
Etc..

Currently I would format and install WIN10 any suggestions ?

Thanks

For consumer, I don't see much value, and you won't see much performance doing that either, unless you have different physical storage to increase IOPS or split up access in the first place.

In NTFS, you can have your entire filesystem on the same disk initially. Once you hit certain capacity limit, you can make use of Volume Mount Points in NTFS to attach a totally different volume into the existing filesystem.

For example, over time you may start to hit 80% of your capacity. You realise most of your disk space are taken up by "C:\My Documents". What you can do is purchase another hard disk, initialise it as a volume and give it a drive first. *Move* everything in "C:\My Documents" to this new volume. Your "C:\My Documents" should be empty now, and hence your initial storage should have more free space. After that just mount the new volume under "C:\My Documents". From then onwards anything you store into "C:\My Documents" will be under the new storage, and the old storage for the rest of the filesystem. There is no "D" drive to manage either. This idea is exactly how Unices handle filesystem.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...ro/windows-2000-server/cc938934(v=technet.10)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...t/assign-a-mount-point-folder-path-to-a-drive

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.