Pros and Cons of upgrading to windows 10?

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
As stated in title, the free upgrade expires after 29 of this month which is really soon.. i need to make my decision soon. Please bros out here, help me with it, thanks in advance.

eddy2099sg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You could always upgrade and downgrade if you dont like it. No harm done.

Jurchen King

Master Member
Reaction score
As stated in title, the free upgrade expires after 29 of this month which is really soon.. i need to make my decision soon. Please bros out here, help me with it, thanks in advance.

From my personal experience:

PROS
  • Future Proof. New applications, games and programs will be developed and optimized for Windows 10. Support for older versions will eventually die out.

CONS
  • Slower bootup and loading times. Using a 7,200rpm HDD, Windows 7 took only 15 seconds to load. A quick flash of the Windows logo, then BAM! I'm already at the desktop screen. Now Windows 10 takes 1 minute 25 seconds to load. There is kind of lag from BIOS screen to stationary Windows logo, then black screen for a while, then the circling dots before the Welcome Screen. And some time before the Welcome Screen changes to desktop screen. A minor annoyance but I can bear with it. After turning on PC, I just do something else for 2 minutes before returning to my PC. However, once loaded, navigation is fast and smooth for me. Doesn't justify changing to SSD just for faster loading times yet.
  • Forced Windows updates for Home versions. My gripe is with update failures. In Windows 7, if an update process failed, system will still boot and load without ramifications. The installed history log will just show update failed. But in Windows 10, failed updates will result in undoing changes during forced reboot. Depending on your system, it really takes a long time. And unless you clear the Windows Update cache, system will attempt to install the same failed update again resulting in a forced rebooting/undoing changes loop.

Decision Factors
  • What is your usage? If you're satisfied with existing programs and don't intend to install newer programs in the future, then don't upgrade. If you intend to play new games being developed now and in the future, you're forced to upgrade when these games switch to Direct X 12 to optimize performance and new features.
  • Hardware Specs. Although people say Windows 10 has low hardware requirements, I beg to differ. I upgraded my i7 desktop with 16GB RAM because I know my hardware can handle it. But I didn't and won't upgrade my old first gen i3 laptop with 4 GB RAM because I don't think it can make it. It's not worth the risk of worse performance and lag.
  • Legacy Peripherals. How many of your installed and connected peripherals have a Windows 10 driver available for download? If yes, go ahead and upgrade because the new drivers will ensure full compatibility with Windows 10. But if you have lots of peripherals without official Windows 10 support, then don't upgrade. Because the existing Windows 7/8/8.1 drivers might cause software compatibility issues with Windows 10. Then you will often get blue screen of error and forced system reboots.

So did I regret upgrading to Windows 10? In hindsight, sort of regret because I gave up a super fast loading and stable OS in return for a slower loading OS. So far it's stable for me. There're lots of tweaking to do after initial upgrade because you'll hate it. Super slow, blue screen of error, forced reboots, system undoing updates, forced driver updates etc. But once you tweak the appropriate settings, you should get it to function at acceptable speed provided your hardware is good enough.

I also had to learn to navigate a new UI, coming straight from Windows 7. I'm getting used to it.

But all complaints are in hindsight. I'm comparing current "downgraded" Windows 10 feeling with halcyon nostalgia of perfect Windows 7. There are new Windows 10 updates to come, which will hopefully fix existing bugs and improve loading performance. And I don't know what the future beckons. Maybe when new applications and games utilizing exclusive Windows 10 features come along, I will enjoy it and forget the current feeling of regret.

Whatever it is, there's no turning back for me. I choose to stick with Windows 10 and have already deleted my old Windows 7 installation.

It's really a $100+ decision. If you choose to postpone upgrade until you feel ready in the future, just pay the $100+ for an OEM copy of Windows 10 later. If you wanna save the money and feel your system can handle the upgrade changes and impact, then upgrade.

Last edited:

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just sharing my experience with Window XP. Bought a retail XP pro for $500+. I was thinking this OS is it. If my hardware died, I could reuse the OS. What happen now ? New motherboards don't support XP. :( Windows 10 will not last forever. :s8:

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Just sharing my experience with Window XP. Bought a retail XP pro for $500+. I was thinking this OS is it. If my hardware died, I could reuse the OS. What happen now ? New motherboards don't support XP. :( Windows 10 will not last forever. :s8:

According to plan, Windows 10 is supposed to last forever: it will be renamed to simply Windows and there won't be major upgrade in versioning every few years anymore. Microsoft will continue to issue new features and patches like continuous development.

However, since it is always cutting edge and up-to-date with the latest generation of technology, Microsoft can decide to only support it on recent hardware counting back 2 or 3 generations. Support for anything older is to up to Microsoft's discretion. As a home user, you cannot stop or pause your Windows updates to allow your old hardware to continue running. Basically, you have no control.

How Microsoft will make money from Windows itself is unknown for home users presently. It may decide to live off from apps revenue on Windows Store, and maybe sales of Microsoft branded devices running Windows. For enterprise users, Microsoft will charge a monthly subscription per user.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I think it's good to upgrade to Windows 10.

Do make sure to prepare to reinstall Windows 10 on a clean system in the event it works slowly for u after running the upgrade program on the earlier Windows versions which keep your existing programs and files. I find that it doesn't always work fine for all systems, but a reinstall almost always works fine, just that u will need to reinstall your programs.

Part of the reason why I tend to use less installed programs and more on portable programs that do not write to the registry.

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@ykgoh,
....and you trust what Microsoft said ? :eek:
If the OS comes with hardware, the hardware would become a clunker in 5 years. You can't port the OEM OS to the new hardware. You need a new copy. IF you own a Windows 10 retail copy and IF Microsoft will perpetually support Windows 10 and IF Intel's hardware will perpetually support Windows 10... then by all means. I was fooled once in XP. MSFT already testing water on pay per use i.e. fee based for Enterprise. Just like office 365. That's a sound of cash register... cha-ching! :eek:

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
@ykgoh,
....and you trust what Microsoft said ? :eek:

I take care not to misquote anyone, spread any wrong information or add my own speculations without valid sources regarding Microsoft's policy on Windows 10. I only share information as they are to the best of my understanding. I could have missed out on certain developments though, since Microsoft sometimes backtrack on certain decisions after getting feedbacks from their customers. And I do not spend all my time monitoring Microsoft's announcements.

If the OS comes with hardware, the hardware would become a clunker in 5 years. You can't port the OEM OS to the new hardware. You need a new copy.

It's the same today with Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8. An OEM license while cheaper is locked to a particular device or machine once used; we cannot transfer it to another device or machine. This has been the case all along.

IF you own a Windows 10 retail copy and IF Microsoft will perpetually support Windows 10 and IF Intel's hardware will perpetually support Windows 10... then by all means.

For Windows 10, I am not sure how it will deal with a retail license. It will probably be able to transfer to one machine at any one time for 1 license key.

But each time you buy a new laptop, gaming console, phone, or whatever devices running Windows, your device manufacturers would have paid upfront for the OEM license for that device. You would almost never need to transfer a Windows retail license yourself.

My understanding is that moving forward, I expect it to come pre-installed by a hardware device manufacturer. End users and consumers would almost never need to buy Windows as a software itself on a DVD or Internet download, except for DIY PC builders. That is if DIY PC continues to exist into the future. Pretty much like OS for embedded devices, and how OS X and iOS come on Apple's products. Users generally do not have to buy them separately as a software product.

I was fooled once in XP. MSFT already testing water on pay per use i.e. fee based for Enterprise. Just like office 365. That's a sound of cash register... cha-ching! :eek:

Well, we cannot expect to pay once for lifetime usage? No business would offer that. Those that claim they do have terms and conditions in fine prints somewhere or they close shop eventually.

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still using XP. No intention to upgrade.

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@ykgoh,
It's everyone's choice whether to upgrade to windows 10 or not. MSFT is giving free upgrade to achieve their business objective. With each succession of windows, MSFT has more control. As with any new tech, new has more features for users. So, users have to weight the trade off. :o

With 10, MSFT can ding business users $7 per month. :D
MSFT is going UP! :s12:
chart.ashx

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
@ykgoh,
It's everyone's choice whether to upgrade to windows 10 or not. MSFT is giving free upgrade to achieve their business objective. With each succession of windows, MSFT has more control. As with any new tech, new has more features for users. So, users have to weight the trade off. :o

With 10, MSFT can ding business users $7 per month. :D
MSFT is going UP! :s12:
chart.ashx

All businesses exists to make money, that's understandable. However, it's about whether the price is right in return for the value delivered, and customers will respond accordingly.

I am confident that Windows 10 delivers far more value than what we're actually paying for. It's already a steal -- an incredible deal -- in my opinion.

Let's be honest here. To put things into perspective, the monthly subscription is only for enterprise users currently. Even if it is extended to home users, US$7 (~S$9.50) a month is but a fraction of our monthly mobile and broadband subscription. If people can afford to pay Singtel, Starhub and M1 every month willingly, I see no reason why US$7/month for Windows is considered expensive. For drivers used to paying ERP charges and parking, US$7/month is nothing. And the majority of Singaporeans are paying more than $100/month on average for public transports.

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All businesses exists to make money, that's understandable. However, it's about whether the price is right in return for the value delivered, and customers will respond accordingly.

I am confident that Windows 10 delivers far more value than what we're actually paying for. It's already a steal -- an incredible deal -- in my opinion.

Let's be honest here. To put things into perspective, the monthly subscription is only for enterprise users currently. Even if it is extended to home users, US$7 (~S$9.50) a month is but a fraction of our monthly mobile and broadband subscription. If people can afford to pay Singtel, Starhub and M1 every month willingly, I see no reason why US$7/month for Windows is considered expensive. For drivers used to paying ERP charges and parking, US$7/month is nothing. And the majority of Singaporeans are paying more than $100/month on average for public transports.

:eek: Putting buy order for MSFT now !
So exciting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edN4o8F9_P4

Last edited:

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
:eek: Putting buy order for MSFT now !
So exciting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edN4o8F9_P4

That guy (Steve Ballmer) stepped down since 2013 after he botched Windows 8. :vijayadmin: Learning from the disastrous failure and mistakes of Windows 8, Windows 10 promises to be a major overhaul and redesign of everything that was wrong.

Here's a short video introducing the new features of Windows 10.

Only 6 days left to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. :eek: Mai tu liao!

:s12: » Install Windows 10 for free* now! « :s12:

* Only valid for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.