Start Menu not working on Windows 10

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately did not encouter this problem so far.
You may wanna try create a new profile and see if problem persist.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I have the same problems too.

Tried "SFC /SCANNOW" and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" too, to no avail. For the latter one, I can't seem to get it to recognise the install.esd file on the Windows 10 disc.

astrorion

Reaction score
Me too, start menu not working. I did the scan, the restore and all others stuff still not able to work. I even got sometime black screen with a mouse cursor. I solution....temporary fix is to press CTRL+ALT+DEL, LOGOFF and relogin again.

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score
Got this 'solution' from another forum which worked on Build 10162, you may want to try it :

If neither of clicking the "Start" nor pressing "Windows key" on your keyboard works, try the following.

1) Create a backup or "System Protection" just in case.
Right clicking "Start" - System - Advanced system settings - System Protection

2) Open up the command prompt as an administrator.
Right click the cmd.exe(C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe) and select "Run as administrator."

3) Type "powershell" without the quotes and hit "Enter."

4) Copy and paste the following code and hit "Enter."

Code:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

5) Wait for the process to be finished and then restart your computer.

Hope it work for you...

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Got this 'solution' from another forum which worked on Build 10162, you may want to try it :

If neither of clicking the "Start" nor pressing "Windows key" on your keyboard works, try the following.

1) Create a backup or "System Protection" just in case.
Right clicking "Start" - System - Advanced system settings - System Protection

2) Open up the command prompt as an administrator.
Right click the cmd.exe(C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe) and select "Run as administrator."

3) Type "powershell" without the quotes and hit "Enter."

4) Copy and paste the following code and hit "Enter."

Code:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

5) Wait for the process to be finished and then restart your computer.

Hope it work for you...

Does not seem to work for me. Build is 10586.104.

mocax

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I get this at random... seems like some programs caused the start menu to crash... :(

usually happens a few hours into using the computer... but by then already ran several programs and games, so very hard to pinpoint.... :(

I suspect it's the task bar "launcher" problem... because the other programs launched by task bar (settings, notifications, datetime etc) also failed to launch... :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.