Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Switching OS SSD

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 5star_pundit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
Master Member

Switching OS SSD

Hi guys, I know something of hardware, but software is still a mystery in most part to me. My present system has a 128GB SSD which contains my 64bit Win10 plus a few other relevant programs, it now has about 31GB of free space, used to be more but has shrunk thru the years. I'd like to transfer (create an image?) of the OS and other programs and transfer to a 256GB (or bigger) SSD. How do I go about achieving this? Thanks in advance for answers and tips....
Gaminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Hi guys, I know something of hardware, but software is still a mystery in most part to me. My present system has a 128GB SSD which contains my 64bit Win10 plus a few other relevant programs, it now has about 31GB of free space, used to be more but has shrunk thru the years. I'd like to transfer (create an image?) of the OS and other programs and transfer to a 256GB (or bigger) SSD. How do I go about achieving this? Thanks in advance for answers and tips....
For me i use MiniTool Partition Wizard to copy partition from internal drive OS to new external USB SSD, and able to resize the partition.

First i need to create a bootable USB thumb drive with
(1) MiniTool Partition Wizards CD-image by using (2) Rufus

Once completed i boot the system using this thumb drive with MiniTool Partition Wizard (MTPW) and before the MTPW start is to ensure the new external SSD is connected.
This MTPW is quite easy to use as to ensure that the new SSD OS partition is selected and mark Active & Primary paritition + resize before operation start.
Just a simple guide and decision is up to you.

There are many other methods available as in this thread > Help! How to transfer my OS/drive C to SSD

Maybe if you do post in the other Forum section > Hardware Clinic
There have more experts in that Hardware Clinic.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
Banned

you need this upgrade kit

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...grade_kit.html
eric3743 likes this.
5star_pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.