HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Use windows server 2016 as desktop os?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #1

Use windows server 2016 as desktop os?

I have only run windows windows server virtualized. Is there any issue running it as the main os for hyper-V practice and occasional desktop use?
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

I have only run windows windows server virtualized. Is there any issue running it as the main os for hyper-V practice and occasional desktop use?
Windows 10 comes with Hyper-V role.
Mclairs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #3

Windows 10 comes with Hyper-V role.
Windows server 2016 comes with a free trial that can be extended and I don't want to buy a windows license just for testing

Last edited by dryteletubby; 15-05-2018 at 07:05 PM..
Old 16-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #4

Installed Windows server 2016 on my laptop. Activated it as a trial. Seems to be able to use as a normal desktop os (standard desktop software works)

well tried out hyper-v for a few days. somehow I can only run 2 windows VMs without my pc being unusable unlike under proxmox with 6-8 linux VMs running...

how do you people tolerate windows lol?

Last edited by dryteletubby; 19-05-2018 at 08:37 AM..
Old 06-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #5

Lightbulb

Just an hour or two ago I was running Microsoft Windows 2019 Server Insider Preview setup. There's no issue running 2019 as a main operating system even in legacy BIOS mode though I recall UEFI installation too is a breeze. There are two options, either the standard or with a GUI environment. I chose the latter and viola everything worked seemlessly. I strongly recommend if you are learning, skip 2016 and go straight for 2019 IP because you get to use it free six months. The only concern I have is because 2019 is that strict, I have difficulty browsing the internet with enhanced security turned on.

how do you people tolerate windows lol?
In my case every now and then I fall back to Linux like right now my laptop is on Debian 9?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.