HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Win 10 Enterprise Local Administrator account screwed up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2018, 10:39 PM   #1

Win 10 Enterprise Local Administrator account screwed up

Hi guys,

The system in question is a Dell Latitude E7450 Windows 10 Enterprise Build 1803. The problem started after i installed Dellís Support Assist.

Basically my user account which is configured as a Local Administrator account was stripped of its administrator privileges and i keep getting annoying UAC prompts.

I have did a search online and there is veritable proof that Dell Support Assist is the culprit. My IT Support has also confirmed this as well.

Problem is, in order to remedy this, one has to login using the Administrator account and uninstall the software. My Win 10 installation has had the Administrator account disable from day one as part of my organisationís IT policy so there is no recourse trying to use the uninstallation method.

System Restore was also not enabled since day one. I have tried to see if i could force a Win 10 PC reset but this is not possible since the Administrator account is disabled.

The official reply from both Dell and my IT support is that reinstallation of Win 10 is inevitable.

I just wish to check with the experts here whether there is anymore thing i could try before i nuke my OS.

Is there any means for me to force enable the Administrator account??
happily1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Dell support assistant is for certain Dell update app to work
like driver support and etc.
It is left there usually as it doesn't impact or create problem.

Not sure what problem you face.
If your admin rights is strip than you have to ask your IT support
to reinstate it but provided on coy policy especially if you are
not a IT.

FYI Admin rights privilege removed are due to either IT support
or AD management that is why they removed it.
It is not because of certain software that you lose your admin
rights if that is you are asking.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #3

Though you are stripped of the Admin Rights, shouldn't your organisation IT Support have the admin rights to do the job ?

Reinstallation of Windows 10 should be use as a last resort.

Btw have your tried this method, see post #3 (jbilinski) from here : https://www.dell.com/community/Suppo...4507429/page/2

Hi guys,

The system in question is a Dell Latitude E7450 Windows 10 Enterprise Build 1803. The problem started after i installed Dellís Support Assist.

Basically my user account which is configured as a Local Administrator account was stripped of its administrator privileges and i keep getting annoying UAC prompts.

I have did a search online and there is veritable proof that Dell Support Assist is the culprit. My IT Support has also confirmed this as well.

Problem is, in order to remedy this, one has to login using the Administrator account and uninstall the software. My Win 10 installation has had the Administrator account disable from day one as part of my organisationís IT policy so there is no recourse trying to use the uninstallation method.

System Restore was also not enabled since day one. I have tried to see if i could force a Win 10 PC reset but this is not possible since the Administrator account is disabled.

The official reply from both Dell and my IT support is that reinstallation of Win 10 is inevitable.

I just wish to check with the experts here whether there is anymore thing i could try before i nuke my OS.

Is there any means for me to force enable the Administrator account??
Old 04-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #4

Was this W 10 Enterprise unit connected to a domain?

Reconnect it to the domain network, logon as a Domain Admin (this overrides even the local admin). You can reinstate the local admin privileges onto the system.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #5

Though you are stripped of the Admin Rights, shouldn't your organisation IT Support have the admin rights to do the job ?

Reinstallation of Windows 10 should be use as a last resort.

Btw have your tried this method, see post #3 (jbilinski) from here : https://www.dell.com/community/Suppo...4507429/page/2
Hi Uncle Josh, appreciate your reply on this.

Yes i do not wish to nuke my Win OS installation unless i am really out of options.

I have tried the remedy in your link but i keep running into UAC prompts which blocks me from uninstalling the program and deleting the folders.

T-Systems (my IT support) told me that the Administrator account was disabled as an IT policy. I presume that in an ordinary situation, IT support should login using the Administrator account and do their thing.

this doesnt make sense at all to me as well.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #6

Was this W 10 Enterprise unit connected to a domain?

Reconnect it to the domain network, logon as a Domain Admin (this overrides even the local admin). You can reinstate the local admin privileges onto the system.
Hi it_geek,

This is a screenshot from lusrmgr detailing all the users that are available for my laptop. All the users that have a down black arrow in their respective icons are disabled.

The thing is when i IM my IT Support, they keep telling me they dont have an administrator account to help me.

Last edited by happily1986; 04-11-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Old 04-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #7

Hi it_geek,

This is a screenshot from lusrmgr detailing all the users that are available for my laptop. All the users that have a down black arrow in their respective icons are disabled.

The thing is when i IM my IT Support, they keep telling me they dont have an administrator account to help me.

Your IT support is really none the wiser... :facepalm:

You said that the local admin account is disabled. If you have got a second computer and an external hard drive casing, grab the hard disk out of the computer and perform a little registry hack.

If you can go into advanced boot mode and start a system level command prompt (OR if you can load a Windows 10 Installer image to boot into the command prompt), see this link.
No reinstallation required.

REMEMBER TO PROVISION THE ADMIN PRIVILEGES BEFORE UNINSTALLING THE SUPPORT AND ASSIST APP, or else you will dig yourself an even deeper hole!!!

Also, take note that you may have to uninstall whilst in safe mode.

Last edited by it_geek; 04-11-2018 at 11:45 AM..
it_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #8

Dell support assistant is for certain Dell update app to work
like driver support and etc.
It is left there usually as it doesn't impact or create problem.

Not sure what problem you face.
If your admin rights is strip than you have to ask your IT support
to reinstate it but provided on coy policy especially if you are
not a IT.

FYI Admin rights privilege removed are due to either IT support
or AD management that is why they removed it.
It is not because of certain software that you lose your admin
rights if that is you are asking.
Hi Techidiot,

all laptop owners in my organisation are issued win accounts that are accorded local admin rights. also, the administrator account is disable from day 1, that is an IT corporate decision.

I arrived at the conclusion that my account privileges was screwed by Dell's SupportAssist because my IT Support told me so as i am not the first one to suffer from this. Also, I have googled and found that other users with accounts connected to domain environments were also in a similar situation.

I just keep running into UAC prompts.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #9

You said that the local admin account is disabled. If you have got a second computer and an external hard drive casing, grab the hard disk out of the computer and perform a little registry hack.

If you can go into advanced boot mode and start a system level command prompt (OR if you can load a Windows 10 Installer image to boot into the command prompt), see this link.

REMEMBER TO PROVISION THE ADMIN PRIVILEGES BEFORE UNINSTALLING THE SUPPORT AND ASSIST APP, or else you will dig yourself an even deeper hole!!!

I was thinking of something similar too but this is a work laptop. If this is my own computer, i would have done this without thinking. My company don't even own the asset, they lease it from T Systems so i am hesitant to do this.

But i may want to ask T Systems whether they can do this on my behalf haha
Old 04-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #10

I was thinking of something similar too but this is a work laptop. If this is my own computer, i would have done this without thinking. My company don't even own the asset, they lease it from T Systems so i am hesitant to do this.

But i may want to ask T Systems whether they can do this on my behalf haha

if you are under a service contract with T systems, just pass to them and let them do it la...

On site service right? You paid for it, just use only...
Old 04-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #11

This have to be done by the IT Support (T-Systems) since your admin privilege is already gone.

Hi Uncle Josh, appreciate your reply on this.

Yes i do not wish to nuke my Win OS installation unless i am really out of options.

I have tried the remedy in your link but i keep running into UAC prompts which blocks me from uninstalling the program and deleting the folders.

T-Systems (my IT support) told me that the Administrator account was disabled as an IT policy. I presume that in an ordinary situation, IT support should login using the Administrator account and do their thing.

this doesn't make sense at all to me as well.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #12
High Supremacy Member

Hi Techidiot,

all laptop owners in my organisation are issued win accounts that are accorded local admin rights. also, the administrator account is disable from day 1, that is an IT corporate decision.

I arrived at the conclusion that my account privileges was screwed by Dell's SupportAssist because my IT Support told me so as i am not the first one to suffer from this. Also, I have googled and found that other users with accounts connected to domain environments were also in a similar situation.

I just keep running into UAC prompts.
Like others mention since you have a SI than ask them do it.
Such configuration also applies to most coy except special cases.
This is the first, I heard Admin rights was removed/affected
by certain software.

There are other ways to reset the Admin password:

https://www.top-password.com/knowled...-password.html

However ask SI first, if they don't know than do it.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #13

Thanks It Geek, i am able to enable the Administrator account using regedit. I do not see any accompanying instructions to set the password for the Administrator account though.

When i restarted the laptop, i attempted to logon as a Domain Administrator and got the prompt that the Netlogon service is not running so i went back to regedit and tried to set that as an Automatic service. However, it went back to manual after i restarted. Not sure why.

Last edited by happily1986; 04-11-2018 at 06:42 PM..
Old 04-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #14

Like others mention since you have a SI than ask them do it.
Such configuration also applies to most coy except special cases.
This is the first, I heard Admin rights was removed/affected
by certain software.

There are other ways to reset the Admin password:

https://www.top-password.com/knowled...-password.html

However ask SI first, if they don't know than do it.
Hey Techidiot, thanks for your tip!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #15

Thanks It Geek, i am able to enable the Administrator account using regedit. I do not see any accompanying instructions to set the password for the Administrator account though.

When i restarted the laptop, i attempted to logon as a Domain Administrator and got the prompt that the Netlogon service is not running so i went back to regedit and tried to set that as an Automatic service. However, it went back to manual after i restarted. Not sure why.

netlogon runs only when connected to the domain. it needs to be able to ping the domain controller.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.