HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Win 7's USB issues (why microsoft did not include the remedy in one of the updates?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #1

Question Win 7's USB issues (why microsoft did not include the remedy in one of the updates?)

hi guys.

i would like to get more feedbacks from win 7 users who have been using win 7 since 2009 and external 2.5" + 3.5" hdds.

I recently started using the netbook- win 7 and before that, i was using a pc with win XP professional.

It is my first time to have problems with 3.5" internal hdd which I used for external storage - 4 times' usage on the netbook. That hdd is now unusable due to motor issue.

I only got to find out about win 7's usb issue last night. -
In XP when you click safely remove, power goes off. Whereas in Vista and Windows 7, the power stays on. the usb drive is still spinning which is not good for the drive.

Therefore, i would like to know how you guys disconnect your external hdds safely.

1. shut down and then unplug the usb cable(however, "Shutting down the computer isn't a solution as it basically cuts the power from the USB ports and the heads hit again the disk's surface." quoted from one user online)

2. use safely remove and then unplug the usb cable (however, it does not stop usb hdd spinning)

3. amend registry - USB Port Remains Active for Disabled or Safely Removed USB Device ([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\usbhub\hubg]) .. use safely remove and unplug the usb cable (i do not know whether it is safe as Microsoft did not include it in one of the updates leh. i checked my netbook's registry and there is no sight of the amended registry subkey. )

thanks! before you tell me about shutting down or safely remove options, please check out the urls -

USB device (external hard drive) no power down /off when - Microsoft Answers

Safely remove usb device - Windows 7 Forums

How to turn off the power to a USB device when I click "eject"
purin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #2

interested to know this too, my USB drive also remain lighted up when I eject it to off.
Hafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #3

solution... but use at your own risk.

windows 7 do not turn off the power after safely removing a external device..

on windows xp they power off after safely removing the ext. device

1. here's the solution copy the below line to notepad RECOMMENDED (or if you are experienced user you can edit the registry and locating the given location and creating a new key "hubg")

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\usbhub\hubg]
"DisableOnSoftRemove"=dword:00000001

2 . save as (ex. power_off_usb_safely_remove.reg) without parenthesis

3. open the reg file you created and then click YES
4. restart your pc .. and boom its sucessfully power off the usb devices..
Hafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.