Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By it_geek
  • 1 Post By _dXter
  • 1 Post By jas1701
  • 1 Post By it_geek

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2018, 01:23 AM   #1

windows 10 pro activation issue with 2 machines

I have a desktop running windows 10 that is linked to my MS acc, i.e. i always log into the desktop using the MS acc.

everything is OK.

then recently i thought a dell notebook. On running the dell notebook for the first time, I too provided my MS acc and now I also log into my dell notebook using the same MS acc.

Now this is where problems surface.

All of a sudden, when i logged into my desktop, I was asked to activate my windows. On going to Settings > Updates > Activation , i was asked to activate windows on the below device --- which listed my dell notebook!!!!!
What the heck is this! I was using my desktop!

Is it because i can't use the same MS acc for log in on both my notebook and desktop?

pls help.

Note: the key for both the notebook and desktop are different. The notebook is using a dell-provided windows 10 pro key while the desktop is using a windows 8 pro key upgraded to windows 10 pro. So I am not using a single OS key on 2 machines.
xthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:30 AM   #2

very funny, this morning i i started my desktop and everything is fine --- no activation message to be seen ... weird. everything back to normal
Old 09-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #3

Microsoft thought you were trying to import the activation key into the new dell.

But then they realised why the fk would you want to override your already valid licence, so I think the licensing issue auto fixed.
xthene likes this.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
Master Member

But 1 thing is why you need to login your MS Acct when you are using your desktop. If is home PC, once poweron it will boot to desktop already.
jas1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

http://www.tweakguides.com/

Windows 10 Activation Issue
9 November 2018

There are widespread reports that legitimate Windows 10 Professional installs are suddenly reporting as not being activated. When attempting to resolve this issue, users are told by the Activation troubleshooter that they are only licensed for Windows 10 Home. Microsoft has indirectly acknowledged via an MVP in their community forum that this is a fault with Microsoft's activation servers, and users are advised to ignore the activation prompt and wait for a fix over the coming days.

Note: I too am affected by this issue, this is the message that suddenly appeared in the lower right corner of my Windows 10 Pro 1809 desktop a short while ago. The fault appears to primarily affect those who upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period.

Update: It appears Microsoft has fixed the fault. This issue can now be resolved properly by activating Windows using the Activation troubleshooter, found under Settings>Update & Security>Activation.
xthene likes this.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #6

But 1 thing is why you need to login your MS Acct when you are using your desktop. If is home PC, once poweron it will boot to desktop already.
if i remember correctly, at the point of Windows 10 installation, I was asked to create a local login user acc OR using a current MS acc.

Out of convenience, I just link my login user acc with my MS acc.

So now the moment i power up my desktop, i need to log into my MS acc, i.e. my MS acc is also my windows login acc.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #7
Master Member

if i remember correctly, at the point of Windows 10 installation, I was asked to create a local login user acc OR using a current MS acc.

Out of convenience, I just link my login user acc with my MS acc.

So now the moment i power up my desktop, i need to log into my MS acc, i.e. my MS acc is also my windows login acc.
Actually you can bypass the acct creation. Now not sure if you can remove it.
What if 1 day MS acct servers got problem, how you login to your desktop.
xthene likes this.
jas1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #8

Actually you can bypass the acct creation. Now not sure if you can remove it.
What if 1 day MS acct servers got problem, how you login to your desktop.
You are actually very right.
though the advantages of using a single MS acc allows me to sync data and settings on multiple machines, it may not be very safe.

I did some google. yes, there is a way to remove ms acc and change to local login. maybe i would do that one of these days.

And thanks.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #9

When you boot into Windows for the first time, create a local admin first.

Then create a 2nd admin. Link this to your microsoft acc and never login to that again.

Use the 1st admin account to enable the built in admin account, set a strong password and then disable it again.

Now you are good to go.
xthene likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.