Windows 7 compatibility with Skylake processors

xiaonix

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting an aftershock laptop soon, and I have a spare Win 7 professional key lying around, and I think I'm deciding to use it for my aftershock sm-15 laptop 6th gen processor.

However, I'm being told that it is not compatible and i'll have issues with drivers such as USB drivers.. So should I still go ahead and boot it up with Win 7, because my plan is to activate a Windows 7 professional key and upgrade to free Windows 10 if the "issue" persist. Because as of now, I haven't receive my laptop so I do not know what will happen if I do so..

So, anyone got any idea that if I should go ahead with it ? Or just get windows 10 ?

Lastly, if i install windows 7 now, am I still entitled to the free windows 10 upgrade ?

Kapish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
free upgrade to windows 10 is available until 29th July this year.

Bardiel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
fresh install win 7

go force upgrade to win 10 (bcos u aint gonna like waiting for win update for win 10)

but be prepared for the etc drivers

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go check if there are Windows 10 drivers for your notebook first. If there aren't any or are known to be buggy, it's better to stay on Windows 7.

If you are still going ahead, check this link for how to clean install:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Last edited:

muddle

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I doubt there aren't any win10 drivers for a current gen skylake laptop.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The issue is only with USB - Skylake stopped having USB 2 controller, while Windows 7 didn't have USB 3 drivers.

Anything newer than 7 would have.

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
The issue is only with USB - Skylake stopped having USB 2 controller, while Windows 7 didn't have USB 3 drivers.

Anything newer than 7 would have.

Need the motherboard maker utility to slip stream the driver onto the install media?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.