HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Windows update how to stop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2018, 10:38 PM   #1

Windows update how to stop

Apparently windows update screw up my pc on the last windows update cannot even boot to windows halfway through the updating process. A message prompt showing "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation." After rebooting it will come back to this message again and again and its stuck.

Search around the net and apparently its due to a corrupted windows update installation file. Had to reinstall a fresh copy of windows 10 build 1511.

Had enough and decided to stop windows 10 update from running by disabling the windows update service. And also stop the service, under recovery tab also set to no action taken if failed to start.

Apparently this did the trick windows no longer update but here is the problem. After I restart my pc or when I switch on my pc the next day the windows update service STARTS again and was set to manual again despite me already setting to disabled. After a while windows 10 starts to install the windows 10 upgrade assistant and proceed to download windows 10 anniversary update. Had to end the windows 10 upgrade assistant process and deleting the folder windows upgrade folder to stop it from updating.

Anyone knows how to permanently disabled the irritating windows update service permanently?

Last edited by undead102; 25-01-2018 at 10:48 PM..
undead102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Not sure if 1511 has the options as I'm running on 1607.

Edit Group Policy > Computer Config > Admin Templates > Win Components > Win Update > Defer Win Update. Check "Pause xxx updates" for both policies.
Ark Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

Go to services, stop Windows Update Service, change it to disable or manual.
chengsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 11:40 PM   #4

Go to services, stop Windows Update Service, change it to disable or manual.
Already stop windows update service and set to disabled. On the next restart or next day switch on pc the service starts itself up again and it was set to manual again.

Not sure if 1511 has the options as I'm running on 1607.

Edit Group Policy > Computer Config > Admin Templates > Win Components > Win Update > Defer Win Update. Check "Pause xxx updates" for both policies.

Thanks. Will try it out if cannot find other solution.
undead102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 11:58 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

disable service no use 1
only way is group policy, u google u know alr
Old 26-01-2018, 12:01 AM   #6
High Supremacy Member

disable service no use 1
only way is group policy, u google u know alr
For a moment i see your last post status outside this thread i thought you will recommend to buy new PC.
MoneyFace =p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 05:38 AM   #7
Supremacy Member

set network as metered mode.
anyway you should at least use build 1703
Old 26-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #8

This is 1 question i had been wanting to ask too. Hate the update. Window 10 seems unable to do so.
Jamesyk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #9

This is 1 question i had been wanting to ask too. Hate the update. Window 10 seems unable to do so.
set ur home internet as metered connection.
Hailgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

Re

Apparently windows update screw up my pc on the last windows update cannot even boot to windows halfway through the updating process. A message prompt showing "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation." After rebooting it will come back to this message again and again and its stuck.

Search around the net and apparently its due to a corrupted windows update installation file. Had to reinstall a fresh copy of windows 10 build 1511.

Had enough and decided to stop windows 10 update from running by disabling the windows update service. And also stop the service, under recovery tab also set to no action taken if failed to start.

Apparently this did the trick windows no longer update but here is the problem. After I restart my pc or when I switch on my pc the next day the windows update service STARTS again and was set to manual again despite me already setting to disabled. After a while windows 10 starts to install the windows 10 upgrade assistant and proceed to download windows 10 anniversary update. Had to end the windows 10 upgrade assistant process and deleting the folder windows upgrade folder to stop it from updating.

Anyone knows how to permanently disabled the irritating windows update service permanently?
Get the software, NoVirusThanks Win Update Stop v1.0, here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...p-v1-0.399814/
Apparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #11

Set your internet connection as a metered connection. This will stop the windows update service actually downloading updates.
SiaoAngMoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.