final release 8.1

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
i went to look at the 635 over the weekends and looking at the its release 8.1 version, i noticed its build version was : 8.10.12382.878

i compared this with the build version on my 1520 with the latest 8.1 developer update and the version was : 8.10.12397.895

Its seems that we are getting a newer version than the final release? or is there a different build for different devices?

i also checked the cyan update on the 635 and looking at its components (accessories agent, nokia share etc), some are of a lower version compared to those for black on the 1520

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
The developer preview comes with a later version of Windows Phone 8.1.

630 is lower because of the time constrain, since it started to go on sale nearly a month back.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought the released version will be the final tested version? That means the retail units r getting the 8.1 preview also? I am only asking because the preview version being a beta might have some bugs and the final version should be bug free. :0

xtrememanix

Master Member
Reaction score
I thought the released version will be the final tested version? That means the retail units r getting the 8.1 preview also? I am only asking because the preview version being a beta might have some bugs and the final version should be bug free. :0

well even the retail version will have some bugsss . just that the retail version would comes with the cyan firmware updates which makes it less buggy.

with the developer preview, you need the cyan firmware update to make it less buggy.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well even the retail version will have some bugsss . just that the retail version would comes with the cyan firmware updates which makes it less buggy.

with the developer preview, you need the cyan firmware update to make it less buggy.
Yah, I know no software is perfect but final release more peace of mind mah. Small things are livable but once a while you get funny things on the 8.1 especially with the apps.

Hopefully they push out the final version soon.

xtrememanix

Master Member
Reaction score
Yah, I know no software is perfect but final release more peace of mind mah. Small things are livable but once a while you get funny things on the 8.1 especially with the apps.

Hopefully they push out the final version soon.

i have been using the DP on my 1020 and 1520 so far . and no major issues or whatever . and definitely wont want to roll back to 8 . its that good and stable .

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
OK, there's a possibility that non-developers don't know about. Debug-build & Release-build.

Debug build means that the software has a lot of debugging code used to troubleshoot software while it's in development. It's how we system programmers trace stuff that we can't set a break-point on. Devs will know what I mean. Anyway, this means the code is slower & much bigger than the Release-build. The debugging code themselves can also add unintended code which crashes the software from time to time.

Release build are stripped of all these debug code & symbols + they're optimized for the specific CPU so they run faster, use less RAM & less space. WP8.1DP takes 3.9GB of ROM space. If the Lumia 630 System usage is less than 3GB, then my theory is correct. WP8.0 uses only 2.3GB or so.

Now, for MS to release WP8.1 on L630, they may have reduced some of the functions to ensure the L630 is at least stable when running WP8/8.1 apps. But for other devices without the firmware like my Lumia 1020, there's still a lot of performance issues.

Maybe because my contact & app list is huge, day-to-day running can slow to a grind then speed up after the OS has finished doing whatever it's doing in the background, but unlike Windows 8.1 where I can just open Task Manager or Resource Manager to see what the OS is doing, I can't with WP so I can only guess why my file system would suddenly slow down or memory to leak causing apps to crash.

I find that the only way to make my Lumia 1020 run reasonably fast is to open all my system apps one by one for all the stuff to load into cache. Then battery usage will level off & apps become more stable. The worst app in this regard is Whatsapp, second Nokia Camera, third is WP Store.

For day to day usage, it's bearable but as Cyan gets closer to reality, I really hope to get it sooner than later. Unlike the last DP, WP8.1 changes a lot more things which I REALLY appreciate, but MS must get everything stablised soon by releasing Cyan ASAP.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lumia 930 cyan

Just read an article on wpcentral that lists the new features which cAme with the cyan update on the 930.

Firstly the 8.1 build is 12397 which is what we already have on our developer preview 8.1, assuming you have the latest version hence we have the final 8.1 build? This is interesting because the 630 has a lower 8.1 build upon release ( see my initial post). Does that mean there is a different 8.1 for diff devices?

Also it seems the cyan update will be different for different devices depending on the hardware capability of the models. Hence not all features are available on all phones

Article still never mention when it will be released though. Cannot post it here but hop on to wpcentral to see the list of features that come with cyan based on the 930. :)

xtrememanix

Master Member
Reaction score
The 635 now has an update to bring the os version up to the same as the developer preview . There is no diff os version for different phones . Just that the 635 is released earlier hence it wasn't updated to the latest version . But now the update is out .
Just read an article on wpcentral that lists the new features which cAme with the cyan update on the 930.

Firstly the 8.1 build is 12397 which is what we already have on our developer preview 8.1, assuming you have the latest version hence we have the final 8.1 build? This is interesting because the 630 has a lower 8.1 build upon release ( see my initial post). Does that mean there is a different 8.1 for diff devices?

Also it seems the cyan update will be different for different devices depending on the hardware capability of the models. Hence not all features are available on all phones

Article still never mention when it will be released though. Cannot post it here but hop on to wpcentral to see the list of features that come with cyan based on the 930. :)

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The 635 now has an update to bring the os version up to the same as the developer preview . There is no diff os version for different phones . Just that the 635 is released earlier hence it wasn't updated to the latest version . But now the update is out .
Thanks for clarifying, so only the cyan update will be phone specific then

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup . Only the cyan update from Nokia is device specific. No worries !

My 1520 suddenly hang and restarted. Are such problems due to firmware or software? Will be worrying if it's software as the 8.1 dp we have seems to be the final version 😢

Rickosw

Reaction score
My 1520 suddenly hang and restarted. Are such problems due to firmware or software? Will be worrying if it's software as the 8.1 dp we have seems to be the final version ******************

Relax, my 1020 is also behaving CRAZY lately (past 1-2 weeks ) confirmed with several other HWZ members they also kena same issue ... have reported liao ...

hopefully, the official WP 8.1 with Cyan update will fix up all these software bugs ...

Last edited:

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing 2GB RAM (1520, 1020) devices having problems with WP8.1DP. How about normal devices?

xtrememanix

Master Member
Reaction score
My 1520 suddenly hang and restarted. Are such problems due to firmware or software? Will be worrying if it's software as the 8.1 dp we have seems to be the final version 😢

its probably the firmware and software not being optimized to work together properly.

the cyan brings about the firmware updates that will make the hardware compatible with the software

Rickosw

Reaction score
I'm hearing 2GB RAM (1520, 1020) devices having problems with WP8.1DP. How about normal devices?

my mum's L635, so far "ok" ... nothing "funky" has happened ... least for the past 1 week ...

as for L930, only have it since thurs ... so far very stable, will continue to monitor and report if I see anything "unusual" ...

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score

me too... stuck at lock screen with unresponsive touch for the past 1 week. Same for my mum's 1020.

It isn't there before..

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
Now thinking hard if i should row back to wp8 black...

Its most likely a Nokia apps update via the store since we didn't have any Windows update recently... wait for a fix :)
I am sure they are aware of it since it happens for all of the 8.1 2GB device on my end..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.