HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft buys Nokia's Devices and Services Unit

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
E_T
Master Member

So the news 2 months ago that MS Nokia talks had collapsed was a red herring. Good business move. I always wondered why that news pop out of nowhere.

With HTC going down (sad) & Samsung disinterested in WP (I also bochap them) + plans for Tizen, now is the right time for MS to buy Nokia. No one will challenge this move.

And with the combined strength of Bing Maps + Here Maps + Foursquare POIs, Microsoft now have what's needed to take on Google Maps.

MS also licensed a huge treasure trove of Nokia IP, which has proven to be lucrative & effective in fighting off patent trolls unlike Moto's IP. They have also acquired an up & coming brand called Lumia. Nokia Asha & other feature-phones will most likely be wiped off the roadmap by 2014. I don't see MS as interested with fighting with China & India low-end phones.

Nokia will have access to MS (Pegatron) factories in China, MS will also acquire Nokia supply-chain management & manufacturing capabilities so there'll be no more USD$900m write-down.

Elop has proven to be a great person in reversing Nokia's diminishing fortunes but at the same time, conspiracy theorists will continue to accuse Ballmer of sending Elop to Nokia as an acquisition target some time in the future. The truth is probably in between, since MS has ALWAYS sent seed money & people to friends & frenemies alike.

This is part of Bill Gate's legacy. To have MS software everywhere whether they be thay friend or thay enemy because in business, everyone is a bit of both.

Last edited by E_T; 03-09-2013 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Corrections: MS license Nokia IP but didn't acquire it.
E_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
E_T
Master Member

So I think he will streamlined both Nokia tablets and phones, which at least it may do better than the current Surface. Perhaps things will not be bad after all.
Fun, multi-coloured, fruity & MOST IMPORTANTLY cheap Nokia tablets based on RT and made from plastics. However, stripping MS Office from RT may not be such a fantastic idea. I think they should sell it as an optional upgrade to keep base-price of RT low.

Serious but also multi-coloured Surface Pro for the Enterprise enthusiast markets. Like how they sell luxury sedans. More matured palettes but still in many colours.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #18

I am sad... I hope ms dun ruin nokia
JellyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
Master Member

I am sad... I hope ms dun ruin nokia
Nokia should hire me as their new CEO then ... sure won't be ruin one. *siams!*

Come come, petition for me to be the new CEO ok?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #20

This buyout is a good idea if MS allows Nokia to push their hardware/software innovation at the rate they've been doing it

If MS retards Lumia growth the way they're making us wait 8 months for something like a bloody FM radio, well I guess WP8 and Nokia are both screwed

Lumia's been the best thing that's happened to WP8, but let's be honest, OS adoption was happening way too slow. WAY too slow. Merging the WP and Lumia teams might yet be the best thing yet for the platform, assuming MS are going to iterate the OS far faster than the previous year.
LastBattle likes this.
bedlamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #21
High Supremacy Member

So moving forward, MS will in charge of the phone designs, software, and selling them, while Nokia continues with the mapping services, and perhaps camera technologies?

"Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will acquire substantially all of Nokia’s Devices and Services business, including the Mobile Phones and Smart Devices business units as well as an industry-leading design team, operations including all Nokia Devices & Services-related production facilities, Devices & Services-related sales and marketing activities, and related support functions. At closing, approximately 32,000 people are expected to transfer to Microsoft, including 4,700 people in Finland and 18,300 employees directly involved in manufacturing, assembly and packaging of products worldwide. The operations that are planned to be transferred to Microsoft generated an estimated EUR 14.9 billion, or almost 50 percent of Nokia’s net sales for the full year 2012."

Microsoft to acquire Nokia under TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT.

MS better not screw up with the Lumia series designs... I like what they are now....

Last edited by kopi22; 03-09-2013 at 03:43 PM..
kopi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #22

If MS are smart they'll leave marketing and design to the Lumia team, if there's anything the Surface and Xbox 1 have taught us it's that their messaging is shyte, regardless of how good the product is
bedlamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
Banned

If MS are smart they'll leave marketing and design to the Lumia team, if there's anything the Surface and Xbox 1 have taught us it's that their messaging is shyte, regardless of how good the product is
If baldmer is still in power, i can guarantee he will destroy lumia..
JellyMan and LastBattle like this.
adix_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #24
E_T
Master Member

Microsoft buys Nokia! … | My Thinking Out Loud!

Feel free to comment. I think the REAL beta-testing of WP is over as of now.

MS hasn't put in much resources (compared to other division) until now. Now, the full might of MS will be behind WP & Surface.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
Master Member

The problem is, Microsoft only have rights to 'Lumia' and 'Asha' brand. They CANNOT use the 'NOKIA', with the exception of feature phones.

I'm emotional I don't care who have the business.. I want that brand to stay and continue on.

--
Nokia shares have gone up close to 60% now, pre-market.. Is it wise to sell them off?
After shedding its device + service unit. NSN + HERE maps still worth a lot more than its current valuation when compared against Ericsson.

As expected.. Microsoft is down around 2%, like the Skype acquisition..

I see what you did there! LOL

Last edited by LastBattle; 03-09-2013 at 05:01 PM..
LastBattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #26
E_T
Master Member

Which is why Ballmer's retirement was announced before Nokia's acquisition. I sense there's A LOT of Bill Gate's way of doing thing here.

Don't be surprised if the new CEO is announced before the end of the year. & no it wouldn't be tomorrow because MS has hired an outside entity to vet through all potential candidates. These kind of things are only surprising & shocking to "outsiders".
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #27

Okay, noted
VertigoIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #28
Banned

Which is why Ballmer's retirement was announced before Nokia's acquisition. I sense there's A LOT of Bill Gate's way of doing thing here.

Don't be surprised if the new CEO is announced before the end of the year. & no it wouldn't be tomorrow because MS has hired an outside entity to vet through all potential candidates. These kind of things are only surprising & shocking to "outsiders".
Elope is one of the candidate..
adix_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #29
E_T
Master Member

Yes, as mentioned in my article, Stephan Elop is a leading candidate but he's not the only candidate. At the end of the day, MS hiring an outside party means that they're going to do this based on merits, not on gut feel or favouritism because MS cannot afford to screw this up. In many ways, this is bigger than when Bill Gates stepped down.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #30
Master Member

Yes, as mentioned in my article, Stephan Elop is a leading candidate but he's not the only candidate. At the end of the day, MS hiring an outside party means that they're going to do this based on merits, not on gut feel or favouritism because MS cannot afford to screw this up. In many ways, this is bigger than when Bill Gates stepped down.
I miss this... Would love to see a CEO as energetic & enthusiast as Ballmer.
LastBattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.