Microsoft buys Nokia's Devices and Services Unit

xtrememanix

Master Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it . But hope this speeds up the development for the mobile platform ! 3 screens one interface !

echoblue

Reaction score
I hope they keep the Nokia Lumia brand as is! Hopefully this "merger" will really strengthen the platform and MS will not hold Nokia back from releasing excellent products in the future!

xtrememanix

Master Member
Reaction score
at least now we can be safe that the pureview technology will never land in the green robot land .

let them continue to be green in envy !

secretly happy .:s13:

now bring me my 1020 !

bedlamite

Reaction score
FINALLY, NO MORE ANDROID PORT BEGGING

walking to lunch now, more thoughts later

adix_82

Banned
Reaction score
Finally it Began.. Stephan elope mission complete..

This is the only guy who can size down nokia so successfully and without any shame or remorse..

This is the guy who help Microsoft to purchase nokia at such a cheap pricing. This is a huge success to him.

To the Finnish, its a sad day..

Last edited:

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
Got 100k in Nokia shares.. And its going to skyrocket a lot tonight.

this is the least expected, and what I don't hoped for..

but good luck :)

-------

waiting for Das Sadas the sheep to troll LOL!

sianz

Reaction score
Congrats Lastbattle! Most unexpected. Looks like blackberry is gone, who will buy it now?

kopi22

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Stephen Elop Is Now Microsoft CEO Candidate to Beat - Kara Swisher - News - AllThingsD

also Elop is going back to **MSFT, overseeing the Devices unit such as Surface.
He will play quite an important role with the former Nokia employees. I guess Steve Ballmer is probably grooming him to be the next Microsoft CEO.

So I think he will streamlined both Nokia tablets and phones, which at least it may do better than the current Surface. Perhaps things will not be bad after all.

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
Congrats Lastbattle! Most unexpected. Looks like blackberry is gone, who will buy it now?

thanks :) it been a long wait as I have been stocking up on Nokia since 2011..

I think for BB, maybe IBM will buy its service unit, its device is mostly worthless.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
So the news 2 months ago that MS Nokia talks had collapsed was a red herring. Good business move. I always wondered why that news pop out of nowhere.

With HTC going down (sad) & Samsung disinterested in WP (I also bochap them) + plans for Tizen, now is the right time for MS to buy Nokia. No one will challenge this move.

And with the combined strength of Bing Maps + Here Maps + Foursquare POIs, Microsoft now have what's needed to take on Google Maps.

MS also licensed a huge treasure trove of Nokia IP, which has proven to be lucrative & effective in fighting off patent trolls unlike Moto's IP. They have also acquired an up & coming brand called Lumia. Nokia Asha & other feature-phones will most likely be wiped off the roadmap by 2014. I don't see MS as interested with fighting with China & India low-end phones.

Nokia will have access to MS (Pegatron) factories in China, MS will also acquire Nokia supply-chain management & manufacturing capabilities so there'll be no more USD$900m write-down.

Elop has proven to be a great person in reversing Nokia's diminishing fortunes but at the same time, conspiracy theorists will continue to accuse Ballmer of sending Elop to Nokia as an acquisition target some time in the future. The truth is probably in between, since MS has ALWAYS sent seed money & people to friends & frenemies alike.

This is part of Bill Gate's legacy. To have MS software everywhere whether they be thay friend or thay enemy because in business, everyone is a bit of both.

Last edited:

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
So I think he will streamlined both Nokia tablets and phones, which at least it may do better than the current Surface. Perhaps things will not be bad after all.

Fun, multi-coloured, fruity & MOST IMPORTANTLY cheap Nokia tablets based on RT and made from plastics. However, stripping MS Office from RT may not be such a fantastic idea. I think they should sell it as an optional upgrade to keep base-price of RT low.

Serious but also multi-coloured Surface Pro for the Enterprise enthusiast markets. Like how they sell luxury sedans. More matured palettes but still in many colours.

bedlamite

Reaction score
This buyout is a good idea if MS allows Nokia to push their hardware/software innovation at the rate they've been doing it

If MS retards Lumia growth the way they're making us wait 8 months for something like a bloody FM radio, well I guess WP8 and Nokia are both screwed

Lumia's been the best thing that's happened to WP8, but let's be honest, OS adoption was happening way too slow. WAY too slow. Merging the WP and Lumia teams might yet be the best thing yet for the platform, assuming MS are going to iterate the OS far faster than the previous year.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.