Noob question about Lumia 950 XL

MGeaR356

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello ppl,

I am an andriod user who buys and installs custom rom on my nexus devices.

Seeing the 950 XL screen to size ratio and camera impresses me.

However, I have some questions before making the switch.

-For windows 10 mobile, can i just install classic PC games like Heroes 3 on my phone and play? native pc apps, can it be just installed with the exe on the phone?

- how is the apps store now? is it as good as android?

- any issues syncing with google related apps like gmail? google drive? is it possible ot even sync with google servers for their contacts?

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello ppl,

I am an andriod user who buys and installs custom rom on my nexus devices.

Seeing the 950 XL screen to size ratio and camera impresses me.

However, I have some questions before making the switch.

-For windows 10 mobile, can i just install classic PC games like Heroes 3 on my phone and play? native pc apps, can it be just installed with the exe on the phone?

- how is the apps store now? is it as good as android?

- any issues syncing with google related apps like gmail? google drive? is it possible ot even sync with google servers for their contacts?
Hi hi here is some answers based on my knowledge. Other Bros who have more info can add on it correct
1) there is a project to convert 32 bit old windows programs to wp10 compatible apps. Think it's due middle of next year. ( project centennial)

2) the apps store is still nowhere near android or Apple but with the upcoming w10 universal apps, it should improve but don't hold your breath yet :p

3) outlook mail can link with gmail flawlessly. I only have issues with yahoo mail sometimes. As for contacts syncing, it works in Windows phone as Long as u setup a Google account. No luck with Google drive though unless they develope a Windows 10 universal app. If you need to just access your Google drive and not put items in , you can use third party apps like cloud mesh.

Hope it helps

Rickosw

Reaction score
Apps wise,
can you tell us is there any Android Apps that you have to use it on a daily basis ? or critical apps ? or any deal breakers?

I will say about 90% of the most popular or important apps found on Android Play store, we have the Same Official or even better Third Party Apps for Microsoft.

I use Android and Lumia phones together on a daily basis, other than Muzei Live Wallpaper and a few random apps, I dun see myself lacking any major apps on Windows Phone ... in fact, once L950XL cums, i am going to put my android into "stand-by" mode / phone status instead ...

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apps wise,
can you tell us is there any Android Apps that you have to use it on a daily basis ? or critical apps ? or any deal breakers?

I will say about 90% of the most popular or important apps found on Android Play store, we have the Same Official or even better Third Party Apps for Microsoft.

I use Android and Lumia phones together on a daily basis, other than Muzei Live Wallpaper and a few random apps, I dun see myself lacking any major apps on Windows Phone ... in fact, once L950XL cums, i am going to put my android into "stand-by" mode / phone status instead ...
hehe rickosaw, you overeaching yourself leh, i wont go so far to say same quality or better. Even the official apps suck when compared to their android versions. Even for the microsoft ones !!!!!

Lets just say, there are apps around to use as a workaround

Microsoft better speed up on the universal apps and project astoria. WP10 again make or break will depend on Apps, apps APPS !!!!! :p

Rickosw

Reaction score
hehe rickosaw, you overeaching yourself leh, i wont go so far to say same quality or better. Even the official apps suck when compared to their android versions. Even for the microsoft ones !!!!!

Lets just say, there are apps around to use as a workaround

Microsoft better speed up on the universal apps and project astoria. WP10 again make or break will depend on Apps, apps APPS !!!!! :p

let me put in it another way ... i was not clear in my previous post...
what i want to mean is that

about 90% of the most popular apps found on android / i-os (exclude games), WP should have a Official equvialent app on the WP platform....

if there is no official app, WP have third party apps - which re-create the functions of the original apps ... and in some situations ... the third party apps are better than the Original Ones found in Android Play store / i-OS

eg. is 6Tag (for Instagram)
and 6Snap (or something - for SNAPCHAT, but got taken down)

and also Official Google Apps, which is non-existance on WP
but we have access to Youtube, G_Mail, etc
the experience is "fine tune" to more "Metro" / Live Tile / WP look ...

i hope that clears the air ...

--------------

ok back to the original post

more important is whether the app that you are using on android / i-os is really that important that is a deal breaker ...

to me, i dun have any apps that i cant live without ... furthermore, i have a spare android phone just in case ...

----------

yes, some official WP apps does look plain to their counter party in Android / I-OS.

CEO Satay Nutella knows about it ... WP fanboys have made a lot of noise ...

hopefully we can see improvements soon

least hardware spec for WP 10 , Lumia 950XL n 950XL really can stand face in face with the very best from Android ...

Last edited:

kopi22

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok la. I do give credits to some 3rd party apps like the TubeCast. At least I don't have to sit through adverts when starting a video. :D

Rickosw

Reaction score
Ok la. I do give credits to some 3rd party apps like the TubeCast. At least I don't have to sit through adverts when starting a video. :D

another angle which Redmond is going is through sales of their very very successful SURFACE tablets ( over USD $3.5billion worth of sales - as mentioned during the recent presentation).

ie, if more and more people use Surface tablets & also other OEM tablets / laptop, that will mean more people on Windows 10 and "hopefully", more people use their Universal Windows App store and we can see more "quality" and Original First Party apps join on board.

Bobby Goh

Reaction score
Agree. Have been a long time Android phone & tablet user. Just bought my first Surface tablet and have to say I like it a lot. So much so that I'm considering switching totally to windows platform. Afterall, I'm already using Windows OS laptop, desktop and now tablet. Phone next?

MGeaR356

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow great info guys.

For example, whatsapp, YouTube, how's the windows integration?

The Browser is it as good? How about keyboard, can I install swift key?

Rickosw

Reaction score
Wow great info guys.

another article on app gap"

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/21004_Exploring_the_app_gap_for_Wind.php

whatsapp - ok, no major issues
Youtube - WP has no official YT, but have a couple pretty ok, third party ones

Browser - just ignore the WP8.1, pretty bad, but with the new WP10, edge that will be build into L950Xl, 950, it is pretty awesome

keyboard - WP has no swift key - (as android one - which i am using )
but have something very similar in function, can swpe across and predictable input - that is really useful as well

hope that helps

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow great info guys.

WhatsApp is not too bad. YouTube not sure. I don't think there is an official app for YouTube (I might be wrong).

Keyboard, I think the default one is good. Has swype as well. :)

Ibodnano

Reaction score
The only app by google I miss on windows phone is good google maps. Some might tell you here maps is better. But I need both.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.