Are we witnessing Windows Phone’s last stand?

superman2006

Banned
Reaction score
Are we witnessing Windows Phone’s last stand?
OPINIONS
Windows Phone Vs iPhone
By Darren Murph on Jul 22, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Email @darrenmurph
Share on Twitter

Much has been written about Microsoft’s unsettling plan to cut loose some 18,000 of its employees by the end of 2014. You could argue that it’s a necessary evil, or you could argue that it’s a short-sighted misstep. From what I’ve read, this is about Microsoft repositioning itself for the current reality it finds itself a part of.

In many ways, Ballmer never took the steps to shape the company into a viable behemoth. Just as he laughed off the iPhone in 2007, he never really figured out that the company was slipping in a lot of ways — not the least of which was mindshare.

Out of the 18,000 announced cuts, a staggering 12,500 will come from Nokia’s devices division. A division that Ballmer was hellbent on acquiring before heading for the exits. To me, however, the question shouldn’t be on Microsoft’s commitment (or lack thereof) to building phones. The question should be about Windows Phone.

I’ve long since believed there are some battles worth fighting, and some worth conceding. The trick, as you know, is figuring out which slots where.

Phone Booth Out of Order

For the past two years, two companies have dominated U.S. market share figures. For one, its lead can largely be attributed to being first to market with a defining smartphone operating system. For the other, it has a comically large marketing budget and a first follower attitude to thank. No one else has come close to shaking these two from their respective pedestals.

Microsoft has been here before. The Zune saw an early exit, and the Kin was canned before it even had a chance to breathe. After spending at least a billion dollars to shape and launch the OS in 2010, Windows Phone drives just 3.4 percent of smartphones in the United States today.

Perhaps the 12,500 jobs that were sliced on the mobile side is an indication of Microsoft’s realization that it’s simply never going to win this war — at least not on its home turf.

With each passing month, it’s becoming more and more difficult to convert users who are already entrenched in one of two operating systems. You could call it a duopoly ripe for disruption, but disruption generally only occurs when people dislike the existing player(s) — you’d be hard-pressed to find a meaningful quantity of Android or iOS users who are aching for a third party to bring the house down.

After four long years, my eyes tell me that Windows Phone may be slipping from Microsoft’s priority rungs. One has to wonder how different this battle would look had it suited up just a few years earlier.

https://bgr.com/2014/07/22/windows-phone-vs-iphone-vs-android-analysis/

xtrememanix

Master Member
Reaction score
So much ******** . Threshold is the next big thing and its gonna integrate phones PC tablet all in one . This is the start .

White Shader13

Reaction score
So much ******** . Threshold is the next big thing and its gonna integrate phones PC tablet all in one . This is the start .

Precisely, fear-mongering article. A failed one at that. Nadella has committed MSFT to ensure WP's success. The ace in the hole is really seamless integration with PCs. One drive is a fantastic product already and like you've mentioned with threshold.. Hopefully its the start of a new generation for Windows and Windows Phone.

sG_KYo

Master Member
Reaction score
something smells sour in this thread. LOL

must be a vinegar source.

kopi22

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Simi last stand?? I think OP has no idea what are the latest updates of MS leh... Microsoft is still strongly committed to Windows Phone and on the other hand, MS is throwing the Android models into sea as those are like virus to Microsoft. Though I feel sad for Nokia X users, but hey, Windows Phone is the way to go! And not forgetting that windows phones will be using the same WNS just like Windows desktop OS! woo~~

BTW OP, I like the movie Xmen - The Last Stand. :D

:s12::s12:

bitwise

Reaction score
what i'm worried is the absence of leaks for new devices. if you think of it, the last line for WP8 was a great line. every few months there was a release of different handsets. Now it's all underwhelming and phones being canceled.

I really want to trust that MS has something for the end of the year but it's too silent.

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what i'm worried is the absence of leaks for new devices. if you think of it, the last line for WP8 was a great line. every few months there was a release of different handsets. Now it's all underwhelming and phones being canceled.

I really want to trust that MS has something for the end of the year but it's too silent.
I think MS is targeting marketshare for the short term. Hence the release of entry/mid level products like 530, 625, 630. Remember nokia cashcow for lumia line is 520. I'm just afraid 930 will be the only high end WP for this year and 930 is not a new phone. Icon which 930 was base on was release long time ago. MS is not putting in effort for their flagship.

White Shader13

Reaction score
Partially with the massive lay offs in the former Nokia division, that could be an attributing factor as to why those proposed phones were cancelled.

I think we need to give them some time. I really don't think MS isn't aware of what is at stake. Perhaps they are re-aligning the department with the whole of MS? We can only speculate. Bearing in mind that the 530, 630, 635 and Icon/930 were developed by Nokia before the takeover.

If the Surface Pro 3 could be used to hint on the level of commitment MS is going to put into their devices, I think we don't really have to worry that much. :)

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe the contrary is true that Microsoft is killing off the other non-Windows phones (Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Nokia X) to concentrate 100% on Windows Phone. However, this decision will also be the biggest flop. Elop talked about a "burning" platform, but this decision to go for break will sink the platform altogether.

superman2006

Banned
Reaction score
Microsuck is killing and betrayed Nokia. Their government and people's in Finland are also piss off.

Of course, since this is a business decision. There nothing they can do about.

Last edited:

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
Microsuck is killing and betrayed Nokia. Their government and people's in Finland are also piss off.

Of course, since this is a business decision. There nothing they can do about.

Of course, since this is their decision. What does it have to do with you?

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
So far I'm seeing MS exit featurephone coz only China & India makers can make money there.

Low-ends will be handled by partner. There were some launches overseas of WP8.1 that wouldn't reach Singapore.

MS thru Nokia will launch mid to high end. Phones like 635 which is very nice & 530 which is value but not low-end should grab reasonable market share. We're still waiting for high end but with McLaren scrapped, there may only be 1 evolutionary high-end Pureview phone rather than 1 innovative+1 evolutionary, excluding 930.

VoodooKing

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys. Just don't reply to Superman2006 posts. He's been trolling WP forum since the beginning. Just report his post for deletion.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.