• 2 Post By HL
  • 1 Post By TheSnail
  • 1 Post By MasterChief86
  • 1 Post By bird-in-exile

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #1

Windows Phone Pros and Cons

My thoughts on Windows Phone:

Look at these numbers - Windows phone global market share stands at 2% where as Android and iOS together stands at 87%. Why Windows phone are far behind its competitors? In this post we will see about Windows phone pros and cons from my experience of using Nokia Lumia 620 for about 2 years.

Pros
  • Refreshing UI
  • Interesting features - Tap to wake, Glance
  • Social integration
  • On screen keyboard - Work Flow - was good
  • Xbox integration and trial for most of the games
  • Great camera and hardware

Cons
  • Performance - loading screen message
  • Lagging many features from its competitors. Mostly catch up job
  • Cortana - inaccurate most of the times
  • Apps - Lower interest in developing apps for Windows phone platform
  • No apps for Google Services! Single most important reason for trailing behind

Whom this phone is suited now?
  • People who aren't tech savvy
  • Who needs simple phone and better UI experience

Current state and what holds the key?
  • Windows 10 - single platform for all gadgets like mobile, tablet, PC and even XBox
  • If the growth has to kick start, then it definitely needs Google service and other apps support

Regards,
Praveen
GadVeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

My thoughts on Windows Phone:

Look at these numbers - Windows phone global market share stands at 2% where as Android and iOS together stands at 87%. Why Windows phone are far behind its competitors? In this post we will see about Windows phone pros and cons from my experience of using Nokia Lumia 620 for about 2 years.

Pros
  • Refreshing UI
  • Interesting features - Tap to wake, Glance
  • Social integration
  • On screen keyboard - Work Flow - was good
  • Xbox integration and trial for most of the games
  • Great camera and hardware
Refreshing UI - Is very perspective. Not to me. I find it is as messy as a chessboard.

Interesting features - Tap to wake, Glance - Android has it now. No longer a perk.

Social integration - It doesn't even has a decent Facebook app.

On screen keyboard - Work Flow - was good - There are plenty better choices out there for Android. I will even prefer iOS stock keyboard over work flow.

Xbox integration and trial for most of the games - Good for gamer. That being said, Pokemon GO is not even available for Windows phone. And most of the existing titles are outdated as compared to Android / iOS versions.

Great camera and hardware - No longer the case. Lumia camera used to be the best out there. But too bad, with the Nokia branding gone, its camera technology came to an end with the company.

Cons
  • Performance - loading screen message
  • Lagging many features from its competitors. Mostly catch up job
  • Cortana - inaccurate most of the times
  • Apps - Lower interest in developing apps for Windows phone platform
  • No apps for Google Services! Single most important reason for trailing behind
Performance - True that. One of the most annoying "Feature" of windows phone is the freaking Loading / Resuming screens.

Cortana - Well..... Is Cortana even fully featured in Singapore?

Apps - This is the saddest part of all. I would say it's pathetic.

No apps for Google Services - Would suggest to go fully Android if Google services is what you need. iOS is still better than windows phones for sure.

Whom this phone is suited now?
  • People who aren't tech savvy
  • Who needs simple phone and better UI experience
People who aren't tech savvy - For these group of people, I bet they will rather take an iPhone anytime. C'mon, tiles.... Do you think they will prefer icons or tiles for non tech savvy folks? Tell them about "live" tiles and they will stare back at you with a blank face.

Who needs simple phone and better UI experience - Windows phone is not simple for sure. I mean, a tile dashboard and a long list of installed apps jump list on the right? They don't even know how to resize the tiles. As for better UI experience, this is very subjective. Even the app switchers on Android / iOS work better than the windows phone, at least for me.

Current state and what holds the key?
  • Windows 10 - single platform for all gadgets like mobile, tablet, PC and even XBox
  • If the growth has to kick start, then it definitely needs Google service and other apps support

Regards,
Praveen
Windows 10 - The adoption rates has slow down from what I have read. Personally, I think people don't care if it is Windows 10 or not, but more importantly to have the apps they need - which is seriously lacking on windows 10. On my PC, I don't even install any apps from the store. The browser (Firefox) is my main application for almost everything and tasks. Man, I can even access to Google services via my browser!

So windows phone is dead as far as I'm concern. I regretted spending my money on this platform. From the very old Samsung Omnia to Lumia 640 XL. Been through 3 iterations of the OS reboots - windows phone 7, 8 (8.1) and now 10, yet the app situations don't improve much at all. Windows 10 mobile is for the enterprises? Well perhaps, but I don't bet on that either.

Last edited by kopi22; 07-11-2016 at 01:36 PM..
kopi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

Refreshing UI - Is very perspective. Not to me. I find it is as messy as a chessboard.

Interesting features - Tap to wake, Glance - Android has it now. No longer a perk.

Social integration - It doesn't even has a decent Facebook app.

On screen keyboard - Work Flow - was good - There are plenty better choices out there for Android. I will even prefer iOS stock keyboard over work flow.

Xbox integration and trial for most of the games - Good for gamer. That being said, Pokemon GO is not even available for Windows phone. And most of the existing titles are outdated as compared to Android / iOS versions.

Great camera and hardware - No longer the case. Lumia camera used to be the best out there. But too bad, with the Nokia branding gone, its camera technology came to an end with the company.
My observations were w.r.t using it for 2 years until around 2015 start. I wanted to highlight the issues/good things about Windows phone OS.

Performance - True that. One of the most annoying "Feature" of windows phone is the freaking Loading / Resuming screens.

Cortana - Well..... Is Cortana even fully featured in Singapore?

Apps - This is the saddest part of all. I would say it's pathetic.

No apps for Google Services - Would suggest to go fully Android if Google services is what you need. iOS is still better than windows phones for sure.
If we compare the state now, I agree that Android/iOS are lot better, esp for apps.

Windows 10 - The adoption rates has slow down from what I have read. Personally, I think people don't care if it is Windows 10 or not, but more importantly to have the apps they need - which is seriously lacking on windows 10. On my PC, I don't even install any apps from the store. The browser (Firefox) is my main application for almost everything and tasks. Man, I can even access to Google services via my browser!

So windows phone is dead as far as I'm concern. I regretted spending my money on this platform. From the very old Samsung Omnia to Lumia 640 XL. Been through 3 iterations of the OS reboots - windows phone 7, 8 (8.1) and now 10, yet the app situations don't improve much at all. Windows 10 mobile is for the enterprises? Well perhaps, but I don't bet on that either.
Apps has to increase, if at all possible. Which isn't happening as well. I'm getting used to Windows laptop (mostly with Chrome browser), Android mobile and Android tablet so far. Chromebook is trying to snap the former place for casual browsing.
GadVeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

I still find the ui of windows phone simple and neat. No fancy stuff. To me it is pretty.

Camera wise, it is still the best in the current market.
Ibodnano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:57 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

My observations were w.r.t using it for 2 years until around 2015 start. I wanted to highlight the issues/good things about Windows phone OS.

If we compare the state now, I agree that Android/iOS are lot better, esp for apps.

Apps has to increase, if at all possible. Which isn't happening as well. I'm getting used to Windows laptop (mostly with Chrome browser), Android mobile and Android tablet so far. Chromebook is trying to snap the former place for casual browsing.
Hi Kopi Bro & GadVeen
Glad to see you around in the windows thread once a while. Things are sadly very quiet here nowadays and with the BB and nokia subthreads closing down, i cannot help think that windows phone thread will be next

For me personally, the biggest attraction of the windows phone is really the live tiles, i know its sugjective and many of my tech friends from this forum find it extremely messy but i feel it offers the best customization and flexibility to display real time info at a glance without interaction with icons. This i feel is the most efficient and productive way of using your phone with all the info and functions you want at your fingertips without any scrolling. After i have used windows phone, i find the hamburger layouts for android and apple so dated and user unfriendly. Widgets are a compromised solution on those platforms but they cannot truely compare with live tiles.

As for having all apps on the next page. I also feel its the most elegant solution as you only have one page to find all your apps instead of countless scolling and scanning on iOS and Android. With the apps page in wp, you can easily find by alphabetical order or you can just click the # and immeditaly go the alphabet for that app. If you measure in terms of time spent finding an app and swiping through screens. this is a very elegant and easy system

keyboard with word flow, i agree it isnt as good as the android implementations for swiping. For typing , i think it has improved significantly though slightly behing iOS keyboard imo, but it has improved alot

Xbox, i dont play games on any platform so nadda for me

Camera wise, i thnk now with the improvements to windows camera for the 950 and finally with panorama, we truelly have flagship class camera. I have tested the current windows camera with the new panorama mode and functions vs the ip7+ and sony xperia perf and i would say in bright light. Performance is similar to ip7+ and better than the sony but in low light is truely where the lumia shines. I have compared a couple of photos and the lumia is able to clearly better images and better colour accuracy compared to the ip7+. Note both are running in auto mode with HDR on and flash off. Compared to the G5 and S7, the lumia images are less dynamic but colour accuracy is much better. I disadvantage of the lumia is the lack of full manual mode settings.

performance wise, yes the resuming issue is still there but wit the latest production and technical preview builds, this has been reduced significantly. I have given up using fast ring as those are really very very buggy builds and you shouldnt use those on a primary device in any circumstances but the stable builds are actually quite good now.

Apps wise is total piece of **** which i agree. they have a facebook app by facebook now but its quite buggy though alot of functions are now available and it takes forever to start . I do agree that no matter how good the platform is, if the app ecosystem does hit the minium in terms of certain critical apps, its as good as dead. Btw, whatsapp now has the ability to back up to onedrive also . yayyyy

Cortana wise, not available in singapore but imo, i find it stupiak to talk to a phone so i wont use it or any other voice assistants for the matter

i tink tech savy pple will only choose either the fringe systems like sailfish or android. apple is as locked down and as infleixble as changi prison so i think it wont be the first choice for tweaking (you cannot even arrange icons to your preference )

In all fairness, windows phone is easy to pick up if you are new to smartphones. i managed to get my mum to use my old HTC 8x and she found it easier to use than iphone . i came from android originally and i embarked on a voyage to try out other OS like wP and BB and discovered that IMO, the hamburger layout and interface of apple and android are actually the most user unfriendly around IMO

However to conclude imo, windows phone actually had a lot of potential but i think we all can see nutella and microsoft are cutting losses and abandoning windows phone for the consumer market. Even for us fanboys, the writing is clearly on the wall unless you are an enterprise user . the 950 series the last consumer phone for windows and i am sad to see the mobile market is now only a 2 horse race between iOS and android

thank you for reading my wall of text
thoo00 and GadVeen like this.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

Hi Kopi Bro & GadVeen
Glad to see you around in the windows thread once a while. Things are sadly very quiet here nowadays and with the BB and nokia subthreads closing down, i cannot help think that windows phone thread will be next

However to conclude imo, windows phone actually had a lot of potential but i think we all can see nutella and microsoft are cutting losses and abandoning windows phone for the consumer market. Even for us fanboys, the writing is clearly on the wall unless you are an enterprise user . the 950 series the last consumer phone for windows and i am sad to see the mobile market is now only a 2 horse race between iOS and android

thank you for reading my wall of text
Hi technolust,

That was indeed a long post and thanks for sharing your experience with details!

Windows Phone OS was a good start, but in my opinion, Google killed it. If there was Google service support, I would have continued to use Windows phone.

Absolutely no interest in developers for this platform. I come from software development background and have got mobile app development team for my product. They don't bring Windows Phone words in their discussions! All are busy with iOS and Android. Of course its chicken and egg situation.

It's sad that this OS is ending in this state.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
HL

Am a lurker on this forum. Have been on Windows Phone since Samsung Omnia 7 (then Lumia 925, 640 and 950XL). I like the live tiles ALOT especially on WM10 with transparency - thereís some really cool and creative start screen designs you can do with this.

Pros

1. Awesome live tiles start screen - all the essential details (monthly calendar, appointments, to-dos) I need are there displayed neatly and beautifully
2. Great camera (on the 950/XL)
3. Seamless integration on Office and OneDrive (if you are into MS ecosystem)
4. Cortana (works fine for me)
5. Hello Iris Scanner, Glance, Tap to Wake and Off (competitors playing catch-up)
6. WM10 experience is much better than WP8.1

Cons

1. Limited apps in Store but surprisingly I have everything I need (YMMV)
2. Have not noticed much Loading/Resuming except a bit on Whatsapp (I hope they continue to improve the app).
3. WM10 seems to sip more battery juice than WP8.1

Am enjoying WM10 much more than 8.1 and I hope they wonít stop making Windows phones as I canít see myself going to Android or iOSÖ

Disclaimer: I am not into mobile gaming or Google services and I donít like being glued to my phone with all sorts of social media apps vying for my attention
androidmazon and GadVeen like this.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #8

Am enjoying WM10 much more than 8.1 and I hope they wonít stop making Windows phones as I canít see myself going to Android or iOSÖ
But the market share is struggling at < 2%.

Check this stats:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os...510-201610-bar
Old 09-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #9
HL

Who cares lol. That's why I bought the 950 XL. Hopefully it will last me 2 years. Microsoft will not stop working on Windows 10 mobile as its part of Windows 10. The only issue is future hardware availability. Can only wait and hope as WM10 matures..

Last edited by HL; 09-11-2016 at 04:08 PM..
HL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #10

Technolust........ I think you and I are on exactly the same page.

I have my mum an older model Nokia only running Win7.5 (cheap) as her first 70yr old introduction into smart phones "because it works exactly the same as your laptop."

Good camera even on older models was, for her, also a step up. Okay worth Win7.5 I admit I forgot about app support so WhatsApp etc doesn't work, so we make to, currently with Line.

I love the love tiles, flexible layout great Nokia camera (830) and really close integration with my laptop for Office and OneDrive which as a business user is vital. App support sucks and if this one point could be addressed I'd be happy to accept the problems currently there with Resume on WhatsApp and Skype.
technolust likes this.
TheSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #11

What's the future of Windows Phone by now? Has Microsoft confirmed it is truly dead for good? Or are they continuing to make any Windows Phone devices in future?
u0206397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 11:41 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

What's the future of Windows Phone by now? Has Microsoft confirmed it is truly dead for good? Or are they continuing to make any Windows Phone devices in future?
No one really knows, microsuck hasnt been very forthcoming about this and based on their history, dont expect a clear answer anytime soon

the safe bet now would be to move to other platforms till any official announcement or product comes along. Dont hold your breadth in the meantime though
Old 21-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #13
Master Member

I'd say move on and don't think about MS phones. Support is dying. AppStore is emptying... Don't waste time and get frustration on a dying platform.
SkimMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #14

I'd say move on and don't think about MS phones. Support is dying. AppStore is emptying... Don't waste time and get frustration on a dying platform.
To me, this has always been a pressing issue Microsoft never fully managed to address... and it's been years. Why can't they just realize lack of apps is their pain point instead of investing millions every year in this lost cause? The phones on their own are great but app store is a deal breaker for a lot of people. coming up with a service phone without addressing the app store issues only makes it evident they haven't learned yet.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
MasterChief86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #15

To me, this has always been a pressing issue Microsoft never fully managed to address... and it's been years. Why can't they just realize lack of apps is their pain point instead of investing millions every year in this lost cause? The phones on their own are great but app store is a deal breaker for a lot of people. coming up with a service phone without addressing the app store issues only makes it evident they haven't learned yet.
It has already worsened. I'm still using my (first and the last) Window phone because at least still can use watsapp.

When I first bought my phone, there are some apps like tumblr and Facebook messenger which can be used, but subsequently those apps are no longer available.

The worst problem of the App Store is the game... All the games like damn boring one. Popular and fun games mostly released on Android and IOS only.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
bird-in-exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.