HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Xiaomi Mi 8 - Celebrating Xiaomi's 8th anniversary!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #331
Master Member

Hi bros, i would like to know, if i'm getting a Xiaomi mi8 here in shanghai, would i be able to use it back in Singapore when i switch back to my starhub SIM?

And i'm assuming since it would be a China ROM, can i still install google play store here in china and download apps within google app store here in Shanghai? Or can i only do that when im back in SG, switch to SH SIM before i can access playstore?

My main gripe is that i would not want a phone that doesn't have a full functional play store...

And reading about how which ROM works or not in which country is actually kinda confusing.

Appreciate any info from you all here. Thank you!
manaeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #332
Master Member

I'm also heading to south africa in the coming months and have the same worries.

But am i right to say that, no matter which country i'm in, as long as i change to the country's SIM, phone should be able to work perfectly fine with LTE etc?

But for google play store, its more complicated?
manaeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #333

Hi bros, i would like to know, if i'm getting a Xiaomi mi8 here in shanghai, would i be able to use it back in Singapore when i switch back to my starhub SIM?

And i'm assuming since it would be a China ROM, can i still install google play store here in china and download apps within google app store here in Shanghai? Or can i only do that when im back in SG, switch to SH SIM before i can access playstore?

My main gripe is that i would not want a phone that doesn't have a full functional play store...

And reading about how which ROM works or not in which country is actually kinda confusing.

If you want play store..better buy global version mi 8...xiaomi HK store around sgd$50 more...if buy China version..with China rom...u can still download play store apk to install but be aware that it may have some hiccups..

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A6003 using GAGT
edmund_gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #334

I'm also heading to south africa in the coming months and have the same worries.

But am i right to say that, no matter which country i'm in, as long as i change to the country's SIM, phone should be able to work perfectly fine with LTE etc?

But for google play store, its more complicated?
Check the LTE band for South Africa and check whether mi 8 have the same bands...

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A6003 using GAGT
edmund_gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #335

If you got a china set, there are 2 options. First, continue using with the china rom. Installing google play shouldn't be any issue. Another way, unlock the phone bootloader and flash global rom over. Google play will have by default. But you will have to leave your bootloader unlock. Some apps might not work, especially bank apps and some nfc functions. But I think you can still root the phone and install Magisk and use that to hide the root status..
Shadowz1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #336

U'll normally need a vpn to access google within PRC.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #337

https://qoo.tn/BCTNZR/Q105776185

anyone bought from here and manage to use ibanking apps on their mi 8 device without any hickups? its a chinese version with global ROM installed.
l.o.c.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #338

anyone bought from here and manage to use ibanking apps on their mi 8 device without any hickups? its a chinese version with global ROM installed.
Techbox=Boom=JTBC. Someone bought Mi 8 SE and it came with fake EU ROM. You can buy, but ask for box to be sealed
Extech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 AM   #339

Techbox=Boom=JTBC. Someone bought Mi 8 SE and it came with fake EU ROM. You can buy, but ask for box to be sealed
wow thanks for the quick heads up. fake EU ROM? so whats the next move, re-flash a global ROM? do i need to wait for the 360hrs thing before able to do so?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #340

The issue for not able to use bank apps is because the phone's bootloader is unlocked. This is the case for china phone flashed with global rom. Xiaomi nowadays don't want their china phones to be sold in other countries. So china phones flashed with global rom is not able to relocked back the bootloader.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #341
Arch-Supremacy Member

Dunno when explorer version will be out locally

Sent from HUAWEI NEO-L29 using GAGT
lorettatay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #342

Sealed or not sealed doesn't make a difference. The EU rom is not fake. It is just like other custom rom, eg lineage, ASOP extended, just that it is based on MIUI. The issue of not able to use bank apps is because of the phone's bootloader is unlocked.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #343

Dunno when explorer version will be out locally

Sent from HUAWEI NEO-L29 using GAGT
Might not even come to SG...
Old 11-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #344

wow thanks for the quick heads up. fake EU ROM? so whats the next move, re-flash a global ROM? do i need to wait for the 360hrs thing before able to do so?
Re-flash rom wouldn't solve the issue as it is due to the unlocked bootloader.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #345

thanks for the replies. so best is pay the higher price to get the global version since the bootloader will be locked by default with global ROM?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.