Barnes & Noble eReader - NOOK

ckboon

Reaction score
Hello all Seniors :)
I've ordered my Nook wi-fi and it has been shipped to my vPost USA address.

2 days after I put in my order, I had the "Unable to process your order" email.
I called B&N and they told me that she didn't see any problem with my order on their system. She asked for my vPost-US address + Item description for verification.

Following day, the status changed to 'Shipped'. 6mins of Int'l call charges incurred.

Question
Do I have to pay vPost charges before or after they ship?
Have not heard from vPost yet :s22:

Did u send vPost the B&N invoice?

atomanx

Reaction score
VPOST shipping cost + Tax???

Hi, members that used VPOST to get NookColor.

Just wonder, how much it charges from US to SIN for the shipping?

Will SIN custom will tax the electronic gadget? If yes, how much or any formula ...
Coz now Nook is selling at US$249, then need to know shipping $ + tax (if any) ...

Appreciate anyone can answer my question, coz i never ship electronic gadget from outside of Singapore before...:look:

archbishopchia

Reaction score
shipping charge around 15usd?

You just missed the ebay sale where the nook color was going for $199.

So total amount would be 249USD + 15 USD. After conversion it will still be below 400 SGD so no gst will be incurred

waikiki

Reaction score
I got this one from ebay for USD$16.95 inclusive of free anti-glare screen protector and shipping to Singapore.

01.jpg

sounds expensive. How do you get boxwave? Ship it to your cgw/borderlinx account too?

Still have some leftover balance before hitting gst.
For the ebay case is it the leather one that is based in hongkong, with free delivery for around 16 USD?

Last edited:

Red_Cheesepie

Master Member
Reaction score
I've got my hands on my new eReader, Nook - on 29 Jan. 2010. I played around with my new toy for an hour e.g, uploading through the USB cable from my laptop to my Nook - my personal pics for the screensaver and wallpaper, and I also uploaded mp3 to my Nook. The same night, before going to bed - I'm already flipping a few eBooks which I uploaded.

Up-to-date, I've already got around 50 ebooks in my nook to read. And oh my..what a breeze it was: To finally have something so light in the palm of my hand reading while got 'creampied' in the morning and afternoon’s peak hour crowd in the MRT train..

I do very much intend to start this thread – to assist other existing and/or potential Nook owners (in Singapore, particularly) to overcome on issues other new Nook users are facing or worry they might be facing (with the intention to own Nook, but in doubts etc).

Honestly speaking - I have no hiccups at all throughout. Hence, I would like to share.

Let me start with few main factors here (which I was worried myself, even before I decide to own Nook):-

There seemed to be a deep concern for some users (in other forums too) on inputting Credit Card details to do a Registration (technically) onto your Nook In fact, I haven’t got to this trouble. Good news: I don’t have to input my Credit Card details either B&N site or in my Nook, at all. Of course I have no intention of buying any eBooks for B&N, so don’t see I will be providing them my Credit Cards details in the future, in anyway. Besides, there are thousands of free eBooks on the net. So, I don’t see the need to spend a cent on B&N ebooks?

So, what did I do?

On your PC/laptop:
1) Create an account in Vpost Singapore (http://www.vpost.com.sg/). Upon completion of registration in Vpost, you will then have a few US Addresses that is tagged to you.
2) Then, create an Account in the B&N Official site:
Afterwhich, in the Account Settings, under ‘Default Shipping Address’, simply choose either one of your US Address provided by your Vpost Account.

On your Nook:
1) When prompted for Registration, input the exact email address and password you
have provided to B&N.

Afterwhich - your Registration will be successful!

- If you wish to purchase or simply browse eBooks in B&N’s Store, and Wifi connection is required:

- Simply log-on to any wireless broadband connection available around you
e.g, - when am in public, you can access through Wireless@SG or any places
which offers free Wireless Internet Broandband (also known as, Hotspots)
- when in office, I connect through my office’s wireless network
(of course, the WEP is required – in this case)

Another good news: When I need to upload any eBooks to my Nook in the office, I simply use the USB cable of my mobilephone’s (Nokia E63).

So, all Nook owner - let’s share our trouble-shooting here onthis thread, if any.:yawn:

hey Ts! Thanks for the tips and very comprehensive guide :) I finally get to buy eBooks from Barnes and noble, just that I'm using nook for Android to read instead of Nook :)
Those who wanna buy eBooks, can use alwaysvpn to change IP, cheap and very reliable :) hotshield always make my purchases invalid.
One more question, I cannot read the epub after downloading them into my computer. ADE says not licensed to read with it. How yo solve this problem? I read thru this thread only know use ADE but I still face the problem. I know can use Nook for PC to read but I wanna know how to remove the license thing. Please advise, thanks :)

Last edited:

Spongy

Master Member
Reaction score
Just took the plunge and bought from ebay to save some US$ 2 compared to the RRP of $249 from B&N. Now the waiting game start. Now have to sell off my hardly used iLiad.

Last edited:

samuelong87

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
the Nook is wonderful but I have been seriously underutilising it. So Im considering selling it.
My set has been rarely used (especially since school is so busy).

Consists of:
Nook (US149)
Screen protectors (pasted)
Official B&N Industriell Cover (US29.95)
51972579.JPG

Spent around S$290+ inclusive of shipping altogether a few months back.

Letting go for S$200 with complete retail package. PM me if interested. If not, i will probably keep it around :)

Last edited:

mfbatzap

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my Nook just KO-ed on me. The screen froze at "Your device is starting up"

Tried all methods to revive it. Hold the "on button" for xx seconds, xx times + left,right, keys.

Take out the battery, put it back in again and switch on.

Take out battery, power it up connecting to the mains..

Damnn! everything does not work. Gonna call B&N support soon. Anyone had their Nook returned to US before for an exchange?

tt32003

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my Nook just KO-ed on me. The screen froze at "Your device is starting up"

Tried all methods to revive it. Hold the "on button" for xx seconds, xx times + left,right, keys.

Take out the battery, put it back in again and switch on.

Take out battery, power it up connecting to the mains..

Damnn! everything does not work. Gonna call B&N support soon. Anyone had their Nook returned to US before for an exchange?

Don't know about Nook but for Nook Color usually holding both the n button and power button together for up to 30 seconds will shut it down.
Then can reboot again.

ckboon

Reaction score
BIG NEWS!!!!

NOOK Color’s update to Android OS 2.2/Froyo offers system improvements, browser performance and a more complete Web experience giving customers access to enjoy even more video, interactive and animated content. NOOK Color now includes support for Adobe® Flash® Player

mfbatzap

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys!

Anyone return their NOOK for RMA before? What's the procedure like?

I want to return but they say that they can only send to US addresses. Hence, do I still use the vpost address for the RMA?

Damn my NOOK is dead. it'll be great if someone can help me here! Thanks..

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read lyn post, but i still have burning questions

Hi peeps, before i pull the gun on getting a nook (simply the reason to read books first hand when they are released), i have got a few qns to ask.

1.) I need a hotspotshield enabled PC/Mac, as guided here (https://www.usunlocked.com/blog/?p=348)

True/False?

2.) Nook needs to be FW 1.2, so I can register outside USA by just changing the time. In this process, I just need to connect to any WIFI sources.

True/False?

3.) Using the hotspotshield enabled PC/Mac, I need to download B&N books using my com into the online digital library, then I can connect the Nook using any WIFI sources to have it updated the new books I purchased into my Nook.

True/False?

4.) The payment details, registration details, can i all use the same Vpost shipping address to do it? Or do I need to buy a USUnlocked address OR anyhow whack a US address and hope it is successful?

True/Flase?

THANKS ALOT GUYS just so scared i screw things up

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.