Wine

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In most regions? I haven't kept up to date.
If it's hot now then they should be harvesting earlier in general.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
heat waves can have high stress levels on the vines. we'll see how the 2013/2014 vintage report will fare this year.

scaredcloud

Reaction score
A friend from HK brought along 2 bottles of Rioja and Ribera over the weekends.
Definitely made my day :)

Pesquera Reserva 2006
Dark ruby, medium body with hint of ripe fruits, well-balanced and refreshing.

Vina Tondonia Reserva 2001
Light ruby color and body, smooth tannin, slight sweetness and long finish.
Hint of leather, bread crumbs and berries.

I am so into Spanish wine now. :s12:

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am crazy over Vina Tondonia. not easily available in sg.
they age magically. i had their recent white release 1998 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Reserva Viña Tondonia last year (yes 1998 is their recent release) and it tasted magicaly and something that will last for 1-2 decades easy.

i've only had above average experiences with pesquera thought :(

waiting for my La Rioja Alta and Muga bottles to age.
Just picked up an aged flagship Muga recently: 1994 Torre Muga

torre-muga-1994-2.jpg

expensive but really worth it.

Last edited:

mistraele

Reaction score
opened a 2005 clarendon hills moritz syrah last week at a belated birthday dinner for friends.

wow. is all i can say. its really not like most any shiraz ive ever had out of australia. it had an unctous, silky, very supple mouthfeel, like drinking liquid velvet. a lot of very rich dark fruit. there was also a noticeable tinge of sweetness. long finish, very integrated tannins. my reaction was replicated across the table. everyone just went wow at the first mouthful. it was really that superb.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's a very good producer. Consistent quality across their wines. Glad u enjoyed it.

kunzzy

Reaction score
I would like to recommend www.finewines.com.sg for vintage wine lovers looking value for money. they offer wines 30% cheaper than retail stores.

just bought from them a Mouton Rothschild 2008 for only $850 for a client, compare to jason market who was selling $2683:eek:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am crazy over Vina Tondonia. not easily available in sg.
they age magically. i had their recent white release 1998 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Reserva Viña Tondonia last year (yes 1998 is their recent release) and it tasted magicaly and something that will last for 1-2 decades easy.

i've only had above average experiences with pesquera thought :(

waiting for my La Rioja Alta and Muga bottles to age.
Just picked up an aged flagship Muga recently: 1994 Torre Muga

torre-muga-1994-2.jpg

expensive but really worth it.

U paid this much??
http://www.winelah.com.sg/online-store/fine-wine/red2013-08-21-14-50-39/muga-torre-muga-1994-detail

Most place out but this price I can handle
http://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=270062&sku=270062

Last edited:

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

the klwine prices are not for the same item i believe. if u search for the other range of muga on klwines their recent vintages of their mid-flight to better wines are already more expensive than the $34.99.

Torre Muga is their flagship and definitely more expensive. a search on global prices on wine-searcher will show that as well. On their non-mobile site, you can see a more robust range and pricing of Muga.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Enjoy your muga!

Just picked up 2 cheapo Cali wine at KL wine.
Maybe next time mth or 2 when I return will pick up cheaper muga to try.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last night had a tasting with one of my groups.
Theme: Northern Rhone Red Wines under $100

It was a really good wine dinner with all of us bringing really really good wines representing the best regions of Northern Rhone. The only red grape allowed to go into a Northern Rhone wine is Syrah (shiraz) and they all tasted very different from the usual Aussie reds that many of us are used to.

Due to the budget of under $100, we couldn't bring in any of the special single vineyard bottlings from the top producers but we had more of the mid-tier wines from the top producers instead; all of which showed remarkable well and clearly capable of aging further.

the ages of the wines that night ranged from 7 years to 15 years

photo1_zpsdf2b8f8f.jpeg

2007 E. Guigal Cote Rotie
2001 Reynard Cornas
2001 Domaine Jamet Cote Rotie
2004 Rene Rostaing Cote Rotie
1999 Delas Hermitage "Marquise de la Tourette"
2004 Domaine Clusel Roch Cote Rotie "Les Grandes Places"
1999 Paul Jaboulet Aine Cornas "Domaine de Saint Pierre" (mine)

For those who never tried before you should really try some northern rhone wines for an entirely different experience versus aussie shiraz. Yes they tend to be more expensive than your average aussie red but at under $100 all these bottles really showed incredibly well.

Northern Rhone sub-regions below are only these few below with Hermitage and Cote Rotie being the most premium of the batch. For casual fine drinking, good producers who make St Joseph and Crozes-Hermitage are some of the really good value buys.

Condrieu only makes white with their special Viognier grapes. Cornas can be described as polarizing as their top wines are really special and tend to need a lot of age. they used to be considered one the top sub-regions of northern rhone but the limelight nowadays is on Hermitage and Cote Rotie. However the Cornas I brought was really really good and when it was revealed the guests were surprised at how elegant and refined this cornas was; traditionally cornas was known to be more rustic and old fashioned.

Northern Rhone Sub-Regions
- Hermitage
- Cote Rotie
- Cornas
- St Joseph
- Condrieu (whites only)
- St Peray
- Chateau Grillet
- Crozes-Hermitage

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes most definitely. The usual wine retailers will have some options in that price range. U can also look to new Zealand gewurz as well. Those are typically stocked in the bigger cold storage and marketplace

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.