Wine

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone
Can anyone please tell me where can I get a "Innocent bystander VIGNERONS & WINEMAKER Victoria 2012 Moscato" in Singapore??
Please...
Sorry if I cause spam entries and greatly appreciate from you people.

this is not spam so don't worry :)

from what i know, 1855 Bottleshop carries it. They have a couple of outlets.

any reason u are looking specifically for that wine?

veryred

Reaction score
The hwz sessions loh haha... Our monthly gathering with a wine theme.

We all bring a bottle from a specific region or type of grape and we drink them blind so we don't know who brought what. We then guess and we talk.

It's a great way to learn more abt wine. Next session is slated end June. U keen?

The next session is southern rhone in france

Sounds fun. I have zero knowledge in wine tasting, but would like to pick up some skills, can I still go?
I am currently in NZ and won't be back in SG till Aug, will you still have it then?

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sounds fun. I have zero knowledge in wine tasting, but would like to pick up some skills, can I still go?
I am currently in NZ and won't be back in SG till Aug, will you still have it then?

no problem. we have it almost every month.
no knowledge? no problem. we're all here to learn.

drop us a reply or PM when you're back. we haven't decided on the theme yet.

Jendezvous84

Reaction score
Thank you for the help.
Will check it out coming this weekends
Wanted to buy for her as we regretted not buying any back from our aussie trip. We tasted it at the Australia Wine Odyssey. Like it a lot.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No worries... Like I said there are a whole lot of very good moscato in sg. U can search for that moscato thread I started earlier this year

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
I was recently at Hunter and visited the Small Winemakers' Centre. I had a fun and light moscato called the Mosquito Moscato.

The really interesting thing they showed me was to squeeze a bit of lime into your glass. It changes the moscato and makes it less like a wine and more like a summer drink (reminds me of Pimms). Just something you can try if you want to change it a little - haven't tried it with other moscatos but I don't see why not.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was recently at Hunter and visited the Small Winemakers' Centre. I had a fun and light moscato called the Mosquito Moscato.

The really interesting thing they showed me was to squeeze a bit of lime into your glass. It changes the moscato and makes it less like a wine and more like a summer drink (reminds me of Pimms). Just something you can try if you want to change it a little - haven't tried it with other moscatos but I don't see why not.

sounds like a good summer drink. i may probably do it for the mainstream easy drinking moscatos.

for the better producers i'm looking at the complexities instead.

I love hunter valley, did u try their classic whites made from semillon grapes? Those age very well. And Hunter Shiraz generally are more elegant than other major shiraz regions of Australia.

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm more a red than white person so I went for the shiraz. Had some pretty good ones - shipped a case of one I liked back. Also a small vineyard (Hart and Hunter) that does a pretty limited production.

That said, for aussie shiraz, I still prefer Mollydooker (McLaren Vale, not Hunter) - the Boxer is a good everyday drinking type of shiraz at S$52 per bottle.

At least that's all in the play-play drinking type of price range - cannot afford the couple of hundred bucks a bottle type.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't buy bottles in the hundreds. I'm not rolling in cash either haha...

But hearing that u enjoy mollydooker I can roughly estimate the type of wines u would enjoy.

DESTWY

Reaction score
Just a fellow wine enthusiast

Dear fellow wine lovers,

I've been writing articles regarding wines ranging from tips to recipes on Winefamily, a locally based wine community and marketplace platform.

My most recent article is on "Picking The Right Wine Glass & Keeping It Clean". I would kindly welcome any form of feedback or comments on my blog posts. At the same time i'd like to encourage more of you to join the community to share your knowledge or reviews about wines. Well, there's never an end to the learning curve when it comes to wine isn't it? :)

Check out my articles on wine-family.com/blog/all_blogs

Cheers!

veryred

Reaction score
i will be visiting Marlborough,and most of south island in NZ soon, as well as hunter valley in Sydney.
any idea where has nice wine perhaps I could buy or ship some back that preferably not or hard to find in SG?

I prefer white than reds

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got a lot to write. Now I am on the road so hard to type. Will send later.

There are many wineries in those areas but I would only visit a select few. Some may require u to make an appt beforehand.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i will be visiting Marlborough,and most of south island in NZ soon, as well as hunter valley in Sydney.
any idea where has nice wine perhaps I could buy or ship some back that preferably not or hard to find in SG?

I prefer white than reds

Marlborough is the area that made NZ famous internationally with their vibrant and racy sauvignon blancs. but since that boom there are a lot of producers setting up shop there; some better than others.

Are you looking to visit some wineries? I can recommend these good producers from Marlborough. You may find some smaller boutique producers but just because they use the word 'boutique' doesn't mean it world class. Of course there are some boutique there are indeed world class; so it's always impt to do your homework.

Here are just some for you to check out. Best is to call in advance or check their website if you need to make an appointment. For producers at this quality level, their wines across the board should be good. I purposely left out the famous Cloudy Bay because i feel it's overrated. Good but overrated.

Dogpoint
Greywacke
Staete
Astrolabe
Saint Clair (they make a very wide range from entry level to the high end)

Regarding southern islands and hunter, i'll poster later in the day. Which part of the Souther Island will you be in?

veryred

Reaction score
Marlborough is the area that made NZ famous internationally with their vibrant and racy sauvignon blancs. but since that boom there are a lot of producers setting up shop there; some better than others.

Are you looking to visit some wineries? I can recommend these good producers from Marlborough. You may find some smaller boutique producers but just because they use the word 'boutique' doesn't mean it world class. Of course there are some boutique there are indeed world class; so it's always impt to do your homework.

Here are just some for you to check out. Best is to call in advance or check their website if you need to make an appointment. For producers at this quality level, their wines across the board should be good. I purposely left out the famous Cloudy Bay because i feel it's overrated. Good but overrated.

Dogpoint
Greywacke
Staete
Astrolabe
Saint Clair (they make a very wide range from entry level to the high end)

Regarding southern islands and hunter, i'll poster later in the day. Which part of the Souther Island will you be in?

Thank you for the detailed reply.
Actually I do enjoy cloudy bay, mainly because it is affordable and found everywhere. But of course, since it is found everywhere, I will not waste my time there.

I do plan to visit wineries , not sure If i should go for wine tasting tour or save the money and visit them on my own since I do have my own transport anyways. I will be travelling throughout the South Island!

Thanks again ikileo!

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for me i prefer making visits to the winery directly by myself. of course the tour will help with the transportation. if you can hire someone to drive you around that's great too.

if you are driving you can just spit after tasting. that's what i did while visiting vineyards in italy.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New_zealand_wine_map.gif

There are many prominent wine subregions in the south island.

Marlborough - See above

Nelson - not many people know about this really good wine region. Prominent producers: Seifried & Neudorf

Canterbury/Waipara - Great for rieslings. Prominent producers: Pegasus Bay & Pyramid Valley

Central Otago - World class Pinot Noir region. Many top producers. I suggest you read through one of my fave wine writers: Wine Anorak. He did a visit across Central Otago. read his Part 1 - 8 here:

Visiting Central Otago's wineries: Felton Road

veryred

Reaction score
Sweet as.
I will definitely visit cantebury region for riseling and felton road even though I am not a big fan of reds.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Felton road is one of the most premium producers in Otago. If u see the url I sent, at the bottom got all the other wineries they went that are really good as well but not as pricey as Felton road.

I will send on Hunter Valley soon.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@veryred Sorry for the late reply; been busy.

Hunter Valley. I love hunter valley and they are famous for their white wines made from the SEMILLON Grape.

Traditionally semillon has been (and still is) one of the 3 grapes that go into making white bordeaux wines (yes there are white wines from bordeaux).

It is in the Hunter Valley that they are famously made as a 100% wine without other grapes. They are fresh, zippy and lemony when young but they have a very interesting characteristic when they age. They can age marvelously and the best ones can easily go up to 20 years.

At about the 8-10 year mark, the good semillon lose a bit of the lemony-ness and zip but they gain in body, texture and toasted notes which is quite unique as a traditionally they are not fermented and matured in oak barrels; they naturally become toasty over the years (if you have patience).

For reds, Hunter Syrah (shiraz) has grown in leaps and bounds recently with a more elegant style of shiraz rather than the stereotypically over-ripe aussie fruit.

make appointments with these producers:

Tyrrell's - http://www.tyrrells.com.au/

Brokenwood - http://www.brokenwood.com.au/

McWilliams - http://www.mcwilliamswine.com/

Lake's Folly (they make wonderful cabernet blends that are bordeaux-like; hard to get in and even harder to get an allocation as they're usually sold out) - http://www.lakesfolly.com.au/

You can also seek out smaller producers like Tinkler's (https://www.tinklers.com.au/) & Pepper Tree (http://www.peppertreewines.com.au/)

Last edited:

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dun know about these guys. maybe they're good for aussie domestic market not i don't think they are as well known overseas, so can't help u there.

i'm sure they make good wines. you can search their website for their range of wines.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.