All about Gigabyte's Z97 Motherboards Revealed!!!

spyboy48

Reaction score
No hesitation, no regret with your upgrade if you decide for better CPU in the near future for Better performance in memory Bw.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May be interested to get the GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK or GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK.

Which shop can get a good price?

Thanks.

spyboy48

Reaction score
May be interested to get the GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK or GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK.

Which shop can get a good price?

Thanks.

Try PCthemes, Cybermind, both provides good! after sales service :)
Willing to spare time and treat customer with care.

Tradespac is cheaper but lack of after sales service support...no human touch! interested in sales only! (I have been there)

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try PCthemes, Cybermind, both provides good! after sales service :)
Willing to spare time and treat customer with care.

Tradespac is cheaper but lack of after sales service support...no human touch! interested in sales only! (I have been there)

How about bizgram? They selling $315 compared to pc themes selling $345

Thanks

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I am running 5 HDD & 1 SSD & 1 DVD writer. which would be more appropriate?
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK or GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK?

Thanks

Last edited:

tamjinhang

Reaction score
Just get Z97X-UD3H-BK will do. All the SATA ports will be filled up just nice. But I hope ur SSD is not m.2 though, since using that port will disable 2 SATA 6Gb/s ports also.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just get Z97X-UD3H-BK will do. All the SATA ports will be filled up just nice. But I hope ur SSD is not m.2 though, since using that port will disable 2 SATA 6Gb/s ports also.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. 6 just nice for 5 HDD & 1SSD (mine is not m2) but need 1 more for DVD.

Ud5h has 2 more additional connectors. Can those 2 be use for DVD? Or use for HDD better?

Marvell® 88SE9172 chip:
2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3 6~7)
Support for RAID 0 and RAID 1
* Due to system limitation, Intel RAID and Marvell RAID can only use either one.

So will the us5d be more suitable in this case?

Kindly advise.

Thanks

Last edited:

tamjinhang

Reaction score
In that case take the UD5H BK then. Marvell SATA not as fast as Intel's own SATA ports, so just attach ur DVD to that Marvell SATA port.

*Why would u need so many hard disks anyway? U should consolidate them into larger hard drives, maybe even run RAID1.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In that case take the UD5H BK then. Marvell SATA not as fast as Intel's own SATA ports, so just attach ur DVD to that Marvell SATA port.

*Why would u need so many hard disks anyway? U should consolidate them into larger hard drives, maybe even run RAID1.

Have lots of data I am keeping & it's growing. Current setup allow me 6 HDD so just want make full use of it.

So running a DVD writer off the Marvell SATA port would not make it slower right?

If it does compromise the DVD performance in anyway, then I would just run with 5 HDD instead & leave the last poet for DVD.

Thanks.

Last edited:

tamjinhang

Reaction score
No, it doesnt affect speed THAT seriously, only slightly. DVD drives are actually v slow sia. Just connect it to Marvell ports will do.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, it doesnt affect speed THAT seriously, only slightly. DVD drives are actually v slow sia. Just connect it to Marvell ports will do.

Thanks. Getting the ud5h this afternoon from bizgram then.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got the ud5h. Can anyone advise how to get my bootable windows 7 installation USB to be recognize by this MB. I have use this USB countless times to install on my PC & notebook, no issue.

But this MB does not seems to recognize. I tried all USB ports but still no luck.
For the record I also change the boot sequence & also tried disable all leaving just the USB boot drive the only drive.

Still does not work

Can anyone help? Thanks

Last edited:

twist_shout

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi spyboy,

may i ask which would u recommend? i have these 3 in mind. but the specs look all the same. except for LAN chip, audio and crossfire,sli capabilities.

GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0)
GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0)
GA-Z97X-UD3H (rev. 1.1)

tamjinhang

Reaction score
Got the ud5h. Can anyone advise how to get my bootable windows 7 installation USB to be recognize by this MB. I have use this USB countless times to install on my PC & notebook, no issue.

But this MB does not seems to recognize. I tried all USB ports but still no luck.
For the record I also change the boot sequence & also tried disable all leaving just the USB boot drive the only drive.

Still does not work

Can anyone help? Thanks

Should be BIOS settings. Check and make sure ur bootable device include legacy items, not only UEFI. Also disable all Windows 8 features such as Secure boot etc.

tamjinhang

Reaction score
Hi spyboy,

may i ask which would u recommend? i have these 3 in mind. but the specs look all the same. except for LAN chip, audio and crossfire,sli capabilities.

GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0)
GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0)
GA-Z97X-UD3H (rev. 1.1)

Take the GA-Z97X-UD3H or GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK if u got spare cash. Intel GBe is stable and fast, while crossfire and SLI isn't used often (unless u really need it).

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Should be BIOS settings. Check and make sure ur bootable device include legacy items, not only UEFI. Also disable all Windows 8 features such as Secure boot etc.

Thanks for the reply. Over the weekend some kind soul from VRZone had helped. Redid the USB thumb drive specially fir UEFI boards. Problem solved. :)

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My ud5h BK bios came with version F4
Understand that F6 is the latest.

What is the fool proof way of updating the bios?

Thanks

spyboy48

Reaction score
My ud5h BK bios came with version F4
Understand that F6 is the latest.

What is the fool proof way of updating the bios?

Thanks

Download latest bios to your thumbe drive, restart and enter bios to flash.
Make sure it is at default setting, no overclocking. It is Very safe at bios!

Windows also can do flashing with "Gigabyte APP Center".
Tried that and did that!

twist_shout

Master Member
Reaction score
Take the GA-Z97X-UD3H or GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK if u got spare cash. Intel GBe is stable and fast, while crossfire and SLI isn't used often (unless u really need it).

thanks. dont think i will be doing X-fire or Sli. so i think GA-Z97-D3H is fine too?

would be doing overclocking though

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.