[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

oric1

Reaction score
Need advise please.

How come when I connect my PC direct (wired) to the Nucleus Connect ONT, I'm getting 900+ up & down but when I'm connect via PC -> ASUS 87U -> ONT, I'm only getting 290+ up & down.

I am on the latest Asus firmware and my NAT Acceleration is set to Auto.

Thanks.

PC -> ONT
Direct_zps2ocov4cr.png~original

PC -> AC87U -> ONT
to%20ASUS_zpsbjlorvrk.png~original

keigo

Master Member
Reaction score
Need advise please.

How come when I connect my PC direct (wired) to the Nucleus Connect ONT, I'm getting 900+ up & down but when I'm connect via PC -> ASUS 87U -> ONT, I'm only getting 290+ up & down.

I am on the latest Asus firmware and my NAT Acceleration is set to Auto.

Thanks.

PC -> ONT
Direct_zps2ocov4cr.png~original

PC -> AC87U -> ONT
to%20ASUS_zpsbjlorvrk.png~original

R u using asrock MB with xfast lan software installed, or maybe one of your cable is faulty.

oric1

Reaction score
R u using asrock MB with xfast lan software installed, or maybe one of your cable is faulty.

I'm using Gigabyte MB & Intel network driver and the driver shows my card is 1.0Gb.

When I connect my PC direct to the ONT, I'm able to achieved 900+Mbps up/down so that means my PC, LAN port & cable no problem. It's only when I connect my PC direct to the AC87U then my speed cannot go beyond 300Mbps.

I did changed new cable, also same.

Could it be the router limitation? Even hardwired, can only maxed at 300Mbps?

Thanks.

Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using Gigabyte MB & Intel network driver and the driver shows my card is 1.0Gb.

When I connect my PC direct to the ONT, I'm able to achieved 900+Mbps up/down so that means my PC, LAN port & cable no problem. It's only when I connect my PC direct to the AC87U then my speed cannot go beyond 300Mbps.

ASUS@SG, would appreciate some input from you, please.

Thanks.

Try turning off NAT acceleration? And whats ur internet plan?

Try using speedtest.net as well, see if it gives you the same results...

oric1

Reaction score
Try turning off NAT acceleration? And whats ur internet plan?

Try using speedtest.net as well, see if it gives you the same results...

Restart the router and try again

Sorry guys, my bad =:p

After realising that I initially set a limit of 300Mbps in my QoS while I was on the 200Mbps plan, I've since removed the limits and able to achieved 900+ now.

Last edited:

keigo

Master Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

If you have tested both lan cables then do a hard reset on the router and try again. Default settings already able to get 900+mbps.

oric1

Reaction score
If you have tested both lan cables then do a hard reset on the router and try again. Default settings already able to get 900+mbps.

Yeap, I was hoping that I don't have to reconfigure my router again because I need to input all the DHCP settings. After browsing thru the settings then I realised it's the QoS :s13:

keigo

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeap, I was hoping that I don't have to reconfigure my router again because I need to input all the DHCP settings. After browsing thru the settings then I realised it's the QoS :s13:

I tried adaptive QoS only managed to get 600+ mbps, only adaptive support NAT acceleration, traditional doesn't.

cheungtsw

Reaction score
After upgraded to the latest official fw, I keep getting the below errors like the vlan errors we had long time ago. I already hard reset and start the configuration again.

Jun 5 11:31:09 miniupnpd[972]: SSDP packet sender 169.254.39.109:47079 not
from a LAN, ignoring

dfran1

Reaction score
After upgraded to the latest official fw, I keep getting the below errors like the vlan errors we had long time ago. I already hard reset and start the configuration again.

Jun 5 11:31:09 miniupnpd[972]: SSDP packet sender 169.254.39.109:47079 not
from a LAN, ignoring

I am getting it also.

I bet Asus wish they never made this router, I don't think anyone will use the quant.... chip again either, this is a mess, fix one = break one or two.

At the least the 87 is mostly usable now, just not worth anything we all paid, maybe at most 1/3.

One thing is, Asus is trying really hard and they respond on here quite often, not like my country I don't see any Asus rep doing anything here.

I thank you Asus (the ones on here):)

keigo

Master Member
Reaction score
I am getting it also.

I bet Asus wish they never made this router, I don't think anyone will use the quant.... chip again either, this is a mess, fix one = break one or two.

At the least the 87 is mostly usable now, just not worth anything we all paid, maybe at most 1/3.

One thing is, Asus is trying really hard and they respond on here quite often, not like my country I don't see any Asus rep doing anything here.

8x8 MU-MIMO probably will use quantenna chipset again, they are the fastest in releasing new wifi technology atm.

dfran1

Reaction score
8x8 MU-MIMO probably will use quantenna chipset again, they are the fastest in releasing new wifi technology atm.

Thank you for pointing that out. I was not aware, too busy trying to keep what I have up and running properly for almost a year now.

They can release all they want, but I for one am not buying or recommending anything with their chipset again for a long time, almost a year into this and we still are not near 90%.

It does push the other chipsets BUT even they are now starting to rush and it is starting to show.

davemishsr

Reaction score
I am getting it also.

I have no problems with my AC87R and I am convinced it is largely due to the stupid $3 USB fan I stuck underneath my nearly $300 router. I was a naysayer of active cooling for months but I have come around. Before the USB fan my temps were, on average:

2.4 GHz: 48°C | 5 GHz: 58°C | CPU: 78°C

My current temps are:

2.4 GHz: 41°C | 5 GHz: 47°C | CPU: 54°C

That is a huge difference. In the peak summer months my cpu regularly went over 80°C and topped out at about 85°C. Now it NEVER goes over 60°C. Fan placement is critical though and I have found 1/2 inch or 127mm's to be about the "sweet spot" for my AC87R. If you move any closer then the CPU temp drops but the 5GHz chipset temp goes up (or vice versa, I forget which).

Also, as a rule I normally use "Auto" whenever it is available as a selection and let the router decide what to do. Since hitting upon this setup my router has been as stable as the AC68U it replaced with MUCH greater range and performance on the 5GHz band. In fact, the AC87R has eliminated my need for range extenders in getting sufficient signal strength down to my daughter's room, the first router to accomplish this in my experience.

Edit: I also have a cron job set up that automatically reboots the router overnight while we sleep at 5:15am PDT. Between the daily fresh boot up and the cooling fan this router is stable as the AC68U it replaced with MUCH better range and performance on the 5GHz band.

Last edited:

evildoctor

Reaction score
Hey Guys! When I upgrade my firmware, I know I must hard reset. Could I reset my router via the web? Instead of pressing the reset button on the router?

dfran1

Reaction score
I have no problems with my AC87R................

Edit: I also have a cron job set up that automatically reboots the router overnight while we sleep at 5:15am PDT. Between the daily fresh boot up and the cooling fan this router is stable as the AC68U it replaced with MUCH better range and performance on the 5GHz band.

No one should have to reboot a router for it to work daily. Stop the reboots them post back in 2 weeks.

dfran1

Reaction score
Hey Guys! When I upgrade my firmware, I know I must hard reset. Could I reset my router via the web? Instead of pressing the reset button on the router?

NO
You need to press the reset button as stated for 5 seconds and configure as a new router.

edit: Well you could use the web BUT not the web you are used to.

Last edited:

yongwd

Reaction score
thanks for the update, however the Network Tools is not working, there is no option to save the Time Scheduling for Parental Controls for 2.4/5ghz. I have done the hard reset done and still the same problem

ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.6117 - - Release note -

[Please note] This version changed the login authentication method. Please unplug the hard drive before updating firmware. After firmware updated, please press the reset button more than five seconds to reset the router to avoid some compatibility issues.

Security fixes
- Enhanced the login authentication strength and fixed CSRF related issues.
- Forced administrator to change the default password "admin" in internet setup wizard.
- Added protection mechanism for GUI login brute-force attack for login username and password.
- Administrator can assign a specified IP to login GUI in Administration > System > "Allow only specified IP.

New feature
- Added client list view button on network map and help administrator easily monitor all client connection status.

Bug fixes
- Fixed the NAT loopback issue when connecting to LAN FTP server.
- Fixed UI issue when using SmartSync to sync with Dropbox.
- Fixed lease time and lease expires time
- Fixed dual wan connection issue when both primary and secondary wan connected to cable modems.
- Fixed Ethernet connection fails in IPv6 when WAN hwaddr is cloned.
- Fixed smart sync error when synchronized with Samba and FTP
- Fixed JS error in AiProtection
- Fixed allowed and blocked incoming icmp firewall rules.
- Fixed syslog flooded with message miniupnpd[xxxx] ....
- Fixed dnsmasq buffer overflow issue.
- Fixed redirect issue when using https only.
- Fixed USB related issues when connected to USB hub.

3G/LTE dongle related fixes
- Fixed executed time issue when using auto-APN.
- Modified auto-APN nvram.
- Fixed lockpin function.
- Fixed send_sms function.
- Updated the SPN data from Android.
- Fixed web redirected fail after setting PPPoE in internet setup wizard.

Modifications
- Updated Adaptive QoS DPI engine.
- Reduced media server memory usage when scanning *.avi, *.mov, *.mp4, *.m4a, *.3gp, *.3g2, *.mj2.
- refined AiProtection alert mail format.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
thanks for the update, however the Network Tools is not working, there is no option to save the Time Scheduling for Parental Controls for 2.4/5ghz. I have done the hard reset done and still the same problem

Dear yongwd,

Network tools is working fine.

Parental control base on Mac address device and why would parental control on 2.4Ghz/5Ghz wireless?

You can set time scheduling on each device..

Best regard,
JK

dfran1

Reaction score
I had to reboot my router last night the 5GHz was laggy, slow, even my wife complained, after a router reboot all was fine but........ (not sure if the entire router was laggy or just wifi)

Not sure about the the 2.4GHz

If you want us to reboot these daily Asus please make a section somewhere in the gui for us to choose reboot
daily
time for us to choose for a reboot

ASUS RT-AC87R Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.6117

!!!Thank You!!!

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.