HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

How much money in the bank before this person can quit his job and become full-time investor?

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #16
Master Member

Characteristics of this person:
- 42 years old
- Monthly expense $3800
- In good health so far
erm, 1 question, whats ur risk comfort level? this one decides how much u might earn, if u not comfortable with high levels of risk, u might not want too much exposure to risk and hence ur returns are lower too, and because of that, u need a higher capital base to accommodate for it.

Last edited by CookieMonsta88; 14-02-2015 at 08:38 PM..
CookieMonsta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #17
High Supremacy Member

erm, 1 question, whats ur risk comfort level? this one decides how much u might earn, if u not comfortable with high levels of risk, u might not want too much exposure to risk and hence ur returns are lower too.
only invest in low risk, high return opportunities
those with high risk, high return , or low risk low return,
or even worse, high risk low return are not worth looking at
wahkao3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #18
Junior Moderator

my friend started dipping her toes by letting the bank invest her money and first deal already underwater by >10%

are private bankers really good at investing? i dont mind if they are only able to get low 2-4% returns but for sure not double digit losses
Can you pass me 1% if I can assure you get 2-3% per annum?
I kid.

Anyway, OCBC 360 can already hit 3% if you fulfil the criteria, most people can fulfil at least 2% there. SO risk free 2 %, why pay private bankers to get?

If you don't mind cpf, it's even a higher guaranteed 3.5% or more depending on where you put your $$.

If I'm paying private banker, I expect him/her to do much better than me. A minimum 6% averaged over 10 years. Come to think of it, STI already returns 8%+...
Perisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

Another one.. this one more well known and actively doing the rounds in public appearance... more selling point.. LADY.. not many LADY Bloggers around.
Getting Started with Investment | Lady, You Can Be Free
focus1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #20
Junior Moderator

Another one.. this one more well known and actively doing the rounds in public appearance... more selling point.. LADY.. not many LADY Bloggers around.
Getting Started with Investment | Lady, You Can Be Free
This lady has not much insight into stock investment.
I know some forummers here will vehemently defend her, despite not showing why.

She can be an inspiration though.

Come to think of it. Shall not say more.
focus1974 likes this.
Old 14-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #21

I kid.

Anyway, OCBC 360 can already hit 3% if you fulfil the criteria, most people can fulfil at least 2% there. SO risk free 2 %, why pay private bankers to get?

If you don't mind cpf, it's even a higher guaranteed 3.5% or more depending on where you put your $$.

If I'm paying private banker, I expect him/her to do much better than me. A minimum 6% averaged over 10 years. Come to think of it, STI already returns 8%+...
I think there are some caveats to the options you stated, which limits the amount one can get. ocbc 360 i believe there s a limit? can i put 1 mil and get 30k a year? As for cpf 2.5+ 1 is only for the first 20k of your cpf oa. Besides you can t get your cpf money out until 55, and that is if you fulfil the criterias....
wahkao3 and Perisher like this.
mosaic1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #22
Junior Moderator

I think there are some caveats to the options you stated, which limits the amount one can get. ocbc 360 i believe there s a limit? can i put 1 mil and get 30k a year? As for cpf 2.5+ 1 is only for the first 20k of your cpf oa. Besides you can t get your cpf money out until 55, and that is if you fulfil the criterias....
Yup, almost everything has it's pros and cons. But those 2 option are fail safe. Giving money to private banker isn't. Retiring and taking on risk? So I suggested some of the safest options. CPF, OCBC 360, and if for minimum management investing STI ETF if you DCA, heck you could throw in S&P 500 and DCA too.
wahkao3 and focus1974 like this.
Old 14-02-2015, 11:57 PM   #23
Arch-Supremacy Member

I kid.

ocbc 360 got limit lei...and cpf i try to limit my contribution because who can predict so far into the future with different govts, rules etc.

guess i am not investment material...even cpc asked me to invest and they will help me monitor but in the end also lose money and no picture no sound and now asked me to invest again
wahkao3 likes this.
cybercom8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 12:37 AM   #24
Junior Moderator

ocbc 360 got limit lei...and cpf i try to limit my contribution because who can predict so far into the future with different govts, rules etc.

guess i am not investment material...even cpc asked me to invest and they will help me monitor but in the end also lose money and no picture no sound and now asked me to invest again
You didn't read my reply?

Here:
Yup, almost everything has it's pros and cons. But those 2 option are fail safe. Giving money to private banker isn't. Retiring and taking on risk? So I suggested some of the safest options. CPF, OCBC 360, and if for minimum management investing STI ETF if you DCA, heck you could throw in S&P 500 and DCA too.
wahkao3 likes this.
Old 15-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #25
Supremacy Member

1 in 10 sinkie are millionaires due to housing boom, if property adjust down 30% down many will fall off the millionaire radar.
Actually, the ratio is much higher...it's 17% of SG households are millionaires and that is defined as investable assets...not including property.
wahkao3 and Perisher like this.
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #26
Junior Moderator

Actually, the ratio is much higher...it's 17% of SG households are millionaires and that is defined as investable assets...not including property.
I feel damn poor.
wahkao3 likes this.
Old 15-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #27
Supremacy Member

10% is the current figure, down from 17%, so hwmook is correct.

PUBLISHED: 9:26 PM, JUNE 10, 2014
SINGAPORE — Millionaire households in Singapore formed 10 per cent of the population in Singapore last year, down from 17.1 per cent in 2012, according to the latest report from Boston Consulting Group (BCG). The latest findings mean Singapore’s density of millionaire households ranks third globally, behind Qatar at 17.5 per cent and Switzerland at 12.7 per cent.
wahkao3 likes this.
limster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #28
Arch-Supremacy Member

I feel damn poor.
only a matter of time before you feel rich
wahkao3 likes this.
Old 15-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #29
Arch-Supremacy Member

10% is the current figure, down from 17%, so hwmook is correct.
why the huge drop??

is it due to ft leaving? properties didnt really drop so much. stock markets are near all time highs...so how can this be?
Old 15-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #30
Arch-Supremacy Member

why the huge drop??

is it due to ft leaving? properties didnt really drop so much. stock markets are near all time highs...so how can this be?
depends on the definition of millionaire households ..
is it only restricted to singaporeans? or does it include PRs and non-PRs?

If your assumption of high property prices and good stock mkt hold water, then one plausible explanation for the drop from 17% to 10% would be the government have open the flood gates for around 7% of population (ie, around 340k foreigners either new citizens,prs, or non-prs) have come into singapore since then.

so 2012 to 2014... it's around 100+k people coming in .. should be inline with the stats..
focus1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.