ASUS ROG GX700 – Our trial users share their thoughts on the docked performance of the GX700

Pick the best testimonials now!

• weione

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • syaqattaq90

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Allanlee82

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • scratchie

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • gtsfrost

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bosssaizo

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
At the ASUS ROG GX700 event, a selected few were given a chance to have closer interaction with the GX700 to experience its astounding power. They are ready to share their personal thoughts of the GX700. Click on each of the user IDs below to check out their reviews!

Don’t forget to vote for the review that impressed you the most!

The winning testimonial will win 1 (one) ASUS G752VT-T7020T gaming notebook worth S$2,898!!!

Note/Disclaimer:
*Any participant found cheating or attempting to cheat will be automatically disqualified.

**We regret that only participants who have submitted the written reviews will be eligible to win the prizes. ASUS’s decisions in all matters arising from participation in this campaign are final and conclusive, and no further correspondence will be entertained.

Update:
Winner: scratchie

Kindly check your email for prize collection.

weione

Reaction score
I recently attended the ASUS ROG event and was given the opportunity to test and experience the GX700 for a week. This is my 1st written testimonial and I hope to share my experience with everyone.

GX700_Docking.jpg

The GX700 features are:
  • World’s first liquid-cooled gaming laptop
  • ROG Hydro Overclocking System Dock that provides GX700 higher performance boost
  • Intel Core i7 K-SKU processer with a desktop grade GTX 980 8GB GDDR5 VRAM
  • Nvidia G-SYNC module integrated with the 17.5 inch Full HD IPS display
  • 1 x USB 3.1 Type C (GEN 2) with Thunderbolt
  • ROG Gaming Center Software

The GX700 embodies a new theme using Plasma Copper, Armor Titanium, Lava Red and Orange.
This new theme depicts ASUS evolving their innovation, giving GX700 a more updated and sophisticated look from the previous Black/Red theme.

gx7002bigger.png

The ROG Hydro Overclocking System Dock is what makes the GX700 outstanding. Once GX700 is docked, it automatically goes into overclocking mode where the processor and RAM are clocked higher.

gx700table.png

With the increase in performance clocks, the GX700 is capable of attaining such 3DMark scores on Firestrike 11.

3dmarkscores.png

The docked mode gives a 28% increase in performance. This allows me to set my game settings at High to Ultra range without having to tone down my gaming experience.
This also triggered me to find out what other settings I could max out to achieve a richer experience.

Below is a list of the games I am playing, together with their settings and average FPS on the GX700:
  • Battlefield 4 : Ultra settings, average FPS 73 to 75
  • Counterstrike Global Offensive : High settings, average FPS 73 to 75
  • Diablo 3 : Max settings, average FPS 130
  • Rainbow 6 Siege : Ultra settings, average FPS 73 to 75
  • Starwars Battlefront : Ultra settings, average FPS 70

The colour and details are vibrant and spectacular. Even though G-SYNC enables frame-rates to be capped at 75 for most games, I did not encounter any lag or ghosting at all.
ROG Gaming Center allows me to maintain the heat at cooler levels while playing these AAA titles. It is a one-stop control centre to setup profiles and monitor system performances. It eliminates the need to download any 3rd party software to configure system settings and add-ons.
This allows me to control everything at the touch of the ROG button on the keyboard.

asusroggamingcenter.png

In conclusion, I foresee this concept of ‘desktop spec-ed’ laptop with cooling dock to be an upcoming trend.
It is portable and delivers powerful performance beyond expectations.
This entire week with the GX700 has been a brilliant experience for me; being able to get my hands on such an amazing machine that is one of its kind.

goodbyecrop.jpg

Go where?! Holiday?
No lah, go play game :D

Thank you ASUS Singapore & HWZ for giving me this wonderful opportunity! :s12:

syaqattaq90

Reaction score
ASUS ROG GX700 performance testing with Liquid Cooling Dock

Firstly, I am truly honoured to be one of the few selected to witness the unveiling of the ASUS ROG GX700, a true beast of a machine that is crammed with high end hardware in the form of a desktop-class Nvidia GeForce GTX980, with its 8GB of VRAM and a liquid-cooling dock - a world's first! If that mouthful of a sentence does not take your breath away (literally!), then you really have to meet the beast itself.

mf1Dgbx.jpg

It is not my first experience with a gaming laptop, but it is the best I have had to date. My inner-geek squealed with delight when I first saw the rumours announced in Q3 2015, and was even more excited after crunching numbers and running benchmarks while the GX700 was with me. I will let the following picture do the talking for the numbers this beast can achieve while keeping it cool.

cujbrRo.png

Hardware aside, the GX700 is not short of gamer centric software. The ROG Gaming Center, is the command centre of the GX700. The main interface displays the GX700’s status and enables users to overclock the system without going through the BIOS. The GC also comes with XSplit-Gamecaster, which is arguably the best streaming software currently on the market. One can spend hours exploring the GC just to achieve the best possible user experience. The collage below shows the many other features that can be found in the GC.

kA8pEVI.jpg

Aesthetically, I would have to criticize the size and weight of the whole package, putting aside how feature rich the laptop is. The dock is, of course, meant to be stationary but many might disagree with its size as a laptop is for portability. I have a laptop bag which is able to fit big laptops but it is impossible to fit the GX700 in it. I am not aware of bags that can accommodate the GX700. Of course the GX700 comes with a rugged luggage, but I do not think that users will utilize it if they require only the GX700. However, I commend ASUS on moving away from the regular ROG colours to the new Titanium-Plasma-Copper colour scheme. It would be more exciting if ASUS had implemented RGB lightings on the light zones.

nY6WHPY.jpg

All in all, I would have to say that ASUS did a great job in coming up with this ‘World’s First’. Personally, I would not be calling it a laptop as I do not see the possibility of using it on the lap. I would, however, applaud their efforts on making an awesome desktop replacement which I am sure is the main thing on their mind. Balancing portability and feature-rich was never easy and one can never please everybody. The price point of SGD6, 198 might be steep but if you have the extra cash to spend, I would highly recommend it - especially to those sitting on the fence deciding whether to get a laptop or a desktop, you get the best of both worlds with the GX700!

WoQmcbh.jpg

Allanlee82

Reaction score
I was also one of the lucky ones to be selected for the Trial, a special thanks to Asus/SPH for the arrangement and Yvonne for the coordination.
Here goes my testimonial/review of it.

502FCD8E-51D1-455A-A416-F9FAE14534E4.jpg

When I first received it, I was like "WOW" its finally here but Im still in the mist of my work, cant play with it straight away. :o

So the first thing I got home was unpack everything and setup the whole system.

39A897AC-AF04-45AD-92EB-D5FE444F5E04.jpg

57EDE4D2-2561-44E1-B45B-780A2A21446C.jpg

3A72B1FD-0C0E-4B50-9BCB-52345CD5C927.jpg

1A26C6E7-D5B9-44F8-96DD-5998406B196C.jpg

Looks
At first glance, the silver and champagne color scheme of the chassis brings a fresh new look to the gaming laptop scene. The rubberized palm rest is very comfortable to rest on and they cover the keyboard and touch pad area fully. The lit-up red ROG logo at the top of the laptop and the keyboard keys also adds to the aesthetics of the GX700. The honeycomb vent on the water cooling unit gives the GX700 a very ‘fierce’ look.

Overclock
The overclock-able CPU gave me the extra power when I needed it. Normally when I overclock, I need to be cautious of the temperature but this is where the water cooler comes in to make my worries go away. The whole system itself is extremely quiet even when it is on overclocking mode. By using the ROG Gaming Center, we can easily overclock with a few clicks - overclocking via the bios and restarting of system are no longer needed. The overclocking is limited but I believe it is a safety measure to prevent users from overclocking too much and spoiling the system. The laptop and water cooler is "locked" together by 4 catch below the laptop and the water cooling unit and 4 more from the back of the laptop to the water cooling unit. I tried to lift up the laptop and the whole unit including the dock will be lifted together, thus i can say that it is very secure and no chance of removing off the laptop while it is in docking mode.

GPU
The desktop version of the GTX 980 delivers insane performance compared to traditional laptops. Combined with the Nvidia G-Sync, there is no more tearing, less shuttering and no more lag. With its GPU and water cooling, the ASUS ROG GX700 can certainly be a desktop replacement.

SSD
The NVMe SSD, which enables a less than 10 second start-up to windows, further enhances the experience I had with the GX700. Broadcasting my twitch was made easier with the Xsplit Gamemaster; with just a touch of a button, I could start broadcasting.

Software/Shortcut Keys
The shortcut button which launches the ROG Gaming Center, not only overclocks the system but also contains other utilities like the Fan Control and profile setting which allow users to switch between different profiles depending on the games you are playing. There is also the MacroKey with allowed me to assign different programs to the keys - which is very useful when I need to launch certain programs with a press of a button.

I also noticed that the keyboard back light will turn off on its own after some time if there is no usage, but would come back on straight away with any key input - pretty much like a screen saver.

Pros:
- Overclockable CPU/GPU with water cooling
- Very silent even when overclock and in full performance
- Fast SSD since it is using NVMe M.2 SSD instead of traditional SSD
- Less than 10 Sec from cold boot to startup
- Love the rubberized area around the keyboard, very nice to rest on
- The overall looks was also pleasing to my eye, silver and champagne color with Red leds
- Desktop graphic GTX980
- Desktop + Laptop in one machine

Cons:
- Big and bulky, cant even place it on my computer desk
- Although there is a suitcase to go with the GX700, still not friendly to carry it around
- More of a Desktop replacement but you can get a better Desktop setup with the price
- Should have a Desktop Class CPU like 6600K/6700K
- Limited overclocking option, overclock only done on their Asus apps, cant Overclock via Bios

I had also previously open another thread in the Notebook sub forum, it has Q&A on issue question by fellow members of HWZ.
There is also some benchmark that I have taken over at the other post.
Link to my another post of the Asus GX700 Review

Conclusion
Overall I'm very pleased with the GX700. I was able to squeeze extra juice out of the CPU by overclocking and experienced a super-fast NVMe SSD like I never had before - it was almost 2 times faster than the traditional 2.5” SSD! Last but not least, the desktop GTX 980 combined with the water cooler setup was the icing on the cake of an already wonderful laptop. Speed and gaming performance are what you will get from the ASUS GX700!

Last edited:

scratchie

Reaction score
BEYOND ORDINARY: BEAUTY | BRAINS | BRAWN

I do almost everything with the gaming laptops I own – gaming (obviously), CAD, 3D modelling, renderings, school assignments, etc. I probably spend more time with them than my (ex) girlfriend – not hard to see why she left. So, you can imagine my excitement when ASUS offered a trial for the GX700 - which arrived in an over-the-top packaging with the laptop, dock and accessories strapped in a luggage.

Asus%20Trial%20Image%201_zpsigtbvo0u.jpg

DESIGN (BEAUTY)
Aesthetically, the GX700 adopts a brushed titanium with champagne chassis; screaming elegance and style. The machine is surprisingly sleek and thin considering it packs a desktop-class GPU and liquid-cooling channels. This is a far cry from the first iterations of the ROG series - showing how far ASUS has advanced in terms of R&D and product design (the old fellow is still working, in case you’re wondering).

Asus%20Trial%20Image%202_zps5d9g7efa.jpg

SPECS & SOFTWARE (BRAIN)
The trial unit came with Intel Core i7-6820HK, a desktop-class NVIDIA GeForce GTX980, 32GB DDR4 RAM and two 256GB SSDs in Raid-0.

It handled everything I threw at it with commendable ease. Games like Witcher 3 were a pleasure to play with its beautiful colours rendered without lag, but ASUS’s proprietary software (Gaming Center and MacroKey) were really the icing on the cake. The Gaming Centre allows customization of settings (e.g. overclocking, CPU multiplier, system/dock fan speed) manually or using pre-defined settings, which significantly lowers the learning curve for novice users, while the MacroKey is essentially a user-friendly key mapper and automation utility.

Asus%20Trial%20Image%203_zpsxsfmd8im.jpg

PERFORMANCE (BRAWN)
Liquid-cooling/over-clocking are perhaps a rite of passage that separates gaming enthusiasts from casual ones, and the set-up of the GX700 is what makes it the epitome of swank. First, the docking experience is oddly satisfying – the fastening of the clamp, sound of the mechanics and the flickering lights make you feel like you’re docking a spaceship/futuristic weapon. Second (and more importantly), the GX700 passed all my benchmark tests with flying colours.

It clocked 8,149 on PCMark Creative (which tests for tasks like 4K video editing), higher than HardwareZone’s 6,425 and 99% of units tested. Geekbench placed it in the same range as the 8-core Intel Xeon processor, used for graphics-/simulations-intensive workstations, while Cinebench placed it higher than all of its baselines. Yes, it is definitely VR ready - future-proofed for devices like the Oculus Rift.

Asus%20Trial%20Image%204_zpsqqxugzzy.jpg

I took the trial further to see how the GX700 performs in GPU intensive tasks such as 3D modelling/renderings. It didn't disappoint. 3D modelling was a breeze without a tinge of lag. The unit rendered a FHD After Effects video (max settings) in under 6 min, which is impressive considering this is less than half the time compared to my current laptop with GTX870M (15.41mins). Docking it shaved off another minute (approximately). (Compressed video uploaded here: https://vimeo.com/155294364)

Asus%20Trial%20Image%205_zpseu2alfzt.jpg

CONCLUSION
A gaming laptop, to me, is really about the overall experience; not just benchmark figures. My experience with the GX700 was a great one, albeit short-lived. I have no doubt the GX700 can handle all work and play requirements with style – my only regret is not getting to keep it.

gtsfrost

Reaction score
ASUS ROG GX700
The Asus ROG GX700 (GX700) is not your typical gaming laptop. With its interesting water-cooling dock, the Hydro Overclocking System (HOS), it cools both the i7-6820HK and 980 GTX (8GB). The system comes with 32GB ram, 2x 256 NVMe SSDs on raid 0, giving it a whopping 512GB for all the space a gamer need. Connectivity is through 3x3.0 USB, 2x3.1 type C USB with both wired and wireless network. Last but not least, game in FHD (UHD model available), on a 17-inch matte screen. We will discuss on why the GX700 is a rig worth getting.

photo.php

The desktop replacement
As a gamer, getting the right gear is crucial. Naturally, gamers usually prefer desktop solutions, but desktop takes up a large footprint. In contrast, the GX700 has a footprint of only 0.5m by 0.4m, way smaller than a desktop. The GX700 fares well against its competitors. With a GTX 980 (not the M) graphics card installed in this beast, games run decently at high graphics with smooth FPS. The games I tested out include Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Crysis 3 and even the recently popular MMO blade and souls; they all ran without any issues.

photo.php

The hybrid – why it really matters
GX700 temperatures are well within reasonable means. Given an i7 6820HK which turbos up to 3.2Ghz, the temperatures, even with running 2 games and prime 95 in the background, only hit a high of 75 degrees without the HOS attached.

When attached to the HOS, the GX700 runs lukewarm. Exhaust from the HOS peaked at about 40 degree Celsius, which is actually quite decent. I have desktops that output 50 – 60 degree Celsius easily. Also, the temperatures of the CPU and GPU were very decent – 70 and 50 degree Celsius respectively. The feature enables the GPU and CPU to run at higher speed, which in turn increases framerates while not sacrificing graphic details in the game.

photo.php

Mobility – A feasible solution
Carrying a 17-incher around is no easy matter. With a gross weight of about 3.2kg, excluding the charger, the GX700 is a task to move from location to location. The issue of bulk and weight is easily mitigated with a proper backpack that fits any 17-inch laptop. On the battery usage, the GX700 can easily last at least an hour for gaming, or 2 to 3 if you are doing light surfing and watching videos.

photo.php

Equipped with 2 SSDs on raid 0 – SSDs are not easily affected by vibrations – this feature allows the laptop to be used anywhere without the fear of data crash. I personally used the laptop on the bus to work on word document and to watch videos.

photo.php

Conclusion
Overall, the GX700 is a worthy investment for gamers who have the capital and like the form factor of a laptop. The HOS keeps your laptop cool, and because the specifications are top notch, there is no need to do any upgrade for at least 3 years.

bosssaizo

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Updating thread in progress.

Thread is temporarily closed.

Update:
Thread is up. Do vote for the best testimonial and feel free to discuss your thoughts in this thread!

crap_girl

Reaction score
I do almost everything with the gaming laptops I own – gaming (obviously), CAD, 3D modelling, renderings, school assignments, etc. I probably spend more time with them than my (ex) girlfriend – not hard to see why she left. So, you can imagine my excitement when ASUS offered a trial for the GX700 - which arrived in an over-the-top packaging with the laptop, dock and accessories strapped in a luggage.

DESIGN (BEAUTY)
Aesthetically, the GX700 adopts a brushed titanium with champagne chassis; screaming elegance and style. The machine is surprisingly sleek and thin considering it packs a desktop-class GPU and liquid-cooling channels. This is a far cry from the first iterations of the ROG series - showing how far ASUS has advanced in terms of R&D and product design (the old fellow is still working, in case you’re wondering).

SPECS & SOFTWARE (BRAIN)
The trial unit came with Intel Core i7-6820HK, a desktop-class NVIDIA GeForce GTX980, 32GB DDR4 RAM and two 256GB SSDs in Raid-0.

It handled everything I threw at it with commendable ease. Games like Witcher 3 were a pleasure to play with its beautiful colours rendered without lag, but ASUS’s proprietary software (Gaming Center and MacroKey) were really the icing on the cake. The Gaming Centre allows customization of settings (e.g. overclocking, CPU multiplier, system/dock fan speed) manually or using pre-defined settings, which significantly lowers the learning curve for novice users, while the MacroKey is essentially a user-friendly key mapper and automation utility.

PERFORMANCE (BRAWN)
Liquid-cooling/over-clocking are perhaps a rite of passage that separates gaming enthusiasts from casual ones, and the set-up of the GX700 is what makes it the epitome of swank. First, the docking experience is oddly satisfying – the fastening of the clamp, sound of the mechanics and the flickering lights make you feel like you’re docking a spaceship/futuristic weapon. Second (and more importantly), the GX700 passed all my benchmark tests with flying colours.

It clocked 8,149 on PCMark Creative (which tests for tasks like 4K video editing), higher than HardwareZone’s 6,425 and 99% of units tested. Geekbench placed it in the same range as the 8-core Intel Xeon processor, used for graphics-/simulations-intensive workstations, while Cinebench placed it higher than all of its baselines. Yes, it is definitely VR ready - future-proofed for devices like the Oculus Rift.

I took the trial further to see how the GX700 performs in GPU intensive tasks such as 3D modelling/renderings. It didn't disappoint. 3D modelling was a breeze without a tinge of lag. The unit rendered a FHD After Effects video (max settings) in under 6 min, which is impressive considering this is less than half the time compared to my current laptop with GTX870M (15.41mins). Docking it shaved off another minute (approximately). (Compressed video uploaded here: https://vimeo.com/155294364)

CONCLUSION
A gaming laptop, to me, is really about the overall experience; not just benchmark figures. My experience with the GX700 was a great one, albeit short-lived. I have no doubt the GX700 can handle all work and play requirements with style – my only regret is not getting to keep it.

Scratchie's post is so cute, but I definitively won't dump my BF becuz I'm a gamer girl too 😜😝. I'll get for my BF for sure if I've the extra cash and surprise him ! 😚

Last edited:

tadapek

Reaction score
Triple B

I like how Scratchie's review is informative, well structured and not dull. Am also a Witcher 3 gamer so it's helpful to know that the specs will be able to support it with ease.

No doubts about brains and brawn, but beauty - well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Links down

ASUS ROG GX700
The Asus ROG GX700 (GX700) is not your typical gaming laptop. With its interesting water-cooling dock, the Hydro Overclocking System (HOS), it cools both the i7-6820HK and 980 GTX (8GB). The system comes with 32GB ram, 2x 256 NVMe SSDs on raid 0, giving it a whopping 512GB for all the space a gamer need. Connectivity is through 3x3.0 USB, 2x3.1 type C USB with both wired and wireless network. Last but not least, game in FHD (UHD model available), on a 17-inch matte screen. We will discuss on why the GX700 is a rig worth getting.

photo.php

The desktop replacement
As a gamer, getting the right gear is crucial. Naturally, gamers usually prefer desktop solutions, but desktop takes up a large footprint. In contrast, the GX700 has a footprint of only 0.5m by 0.4m, way smaller than a desktop. The GX700 fares well against its competitors. With a GTX 980 (not the M) graphics card installed in this beast, games run decently at high graphics with smooth FPS. The games I tested out include Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Crysis 3 and even the recently popular MMO blade and souls; they all ran without any issues.

photo.php

The hybrid – why it really matters
GX700 temperatures are well within reasonable means. Given an i7 6820HK which turbos up to 3.2Ghz, the temperatures, even with running 2 games and prime 95 in the background, only hit a high of 75 degrees without the HOS attached.

When attached to the HOS, the GX700 runs lukewarm. Exhaust from the HOS peaked at about 40 degree Celsius, which is actually quite decent. I have desktops that output 50 – 60 degree Celsius easily. Also, the temperatures of the CPU and GPU were very decent – 70 and 50 degree Celsius respectively. The feature enables the GPU and CPU to run at higher speed, which in turn increases framerates while not sacrificing graphic details in the game.

photo.php

Mobility – A feasible solution
Carrying a 17-incher around is no easy matter. With a gross weight of about 3.2kg, excluding the charger, the GX700 is a task to move from location to location. The issue of bulk and weight is easily mitigated with a proper backpack that fits any 17-inch laptop. On the battery usage, the GX700 can easily last at least an hour for gaming, or 2 to 3 if you are doing light surfing and watching videos.

photo.php

Equipped with 2 SSDs on raid 0 – SSDs are not easily affected by vibrations – this feature allows the laptop to be used anywhere without the fear of data crash. I personally used the laptop on the bus to work on word document and to watch videos.

photo.php

Conclusion
Overall, the GX700 is a worthy investment for gamers who have the capital and like the form factor of a laptop. The HOS keeps your laptop cool, and because the specifications are top notch, there is no need to do any upgrade for at least 3 years.

Seems like ur links is down.

Jasm0009

Reaction score
Wow! Love scratchie's informative and candid review. 😂😂
Sidenote, did he win it or did he have to live with his regret.

DESIGN (BEAUTY)

SPECS & SOFTWARE (BRAIN)

PERFORMANCE (BRAWN)

CONCLUSION

bosssaizo

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Winners are as follow:
Undocked performance - moon04
Docked performance - scratchie
Event first looks - [SG]Revolution

Kindly check your email for prize collection.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.