HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Who has been to South Africa?

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2016, 12:10 AM   #1
Master Member

Who has been to South Africa?

Long story short - have been invited to a wedding in South Africa, wedding will be held at Kruger NP.

We decided to add several more days - arrive a week earlier and do tour either at and around Cape Town, or do Panorama Route - my understanding that we can't do both.

We arrive on 22nd of Feb and have till March 1st to do sightseeing. If you have be been in SA (better - if multiple times) how would you spend that time?
invisible999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
Great Supremacy Member

never been before
Old 22-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
Master Member

never been before
So what was the point to reply?
Old 22-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

safe or not ?
Tiagong so many terrorist such as Boko Haram with gun one leh.
delceer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Master Member

safe or not ?
Tiagong so many terrorist such as Boko Haram with gun one leh.
Let me ask you - do you know where (which country) Boko Haram operates?
Old 23-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
Great Supremacy Member

you asked who has, that's a yes and no question, no is an answer, therefore a reply.

So what was the point to reply?
Old 24-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
Master Member

you asked who has, that's a yes and no question, no is an answer, therefore a reply.
Do you have degree in philosophy?

Anyway, seems Lonely Planet and FlyerTalk forums are more useful places. Got some good info there.
Old 27-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Do you have degree in philosophy?

Anyway, seems Lonely Planet and FlyerTalk forums are more useful places. Got some good info there.
you really guailan kia. sibeh attitude gao gao.
Old 27-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

normally people here don't have friends in Africa. nobody can answer your questions.
Old 28-11-2016, 01:05 AM   #10
Master Member

you really guailan kia. sibeh attitude gao gao.
Now try explain the same in English.
Old 28-11-2016, 06:45 AM   #11
Master Member

If you've never done a safari, then it'll be a good chance to try one out - if that's not already on your menu since you will be at Kruger. Go with one of the private game reserves (not those sit in bus with wire mess around you - i'm talking open land rover with your own tracker and driver). In South Africa, it is nice and luxurious. And if you had to pick only one thing to do in SA, that's what I would recommend.

Cape Town itself is ok, but it's a town and not that big. You can do day tours out to the Cape of Good hope where it's quite scenic and you see where the two oceans meet. But really, just a couple of days is about it.
jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #12
Master Member

Kruger NP is big can rent car drive inside for few nights. Stay at different camp sites.
But I agree private reserve more shiok. Did both and I feel private reserve closer to big 5.
Cape Town ok lah, can go table mountain very nice.
Or horse riding in vineyard or shark cage diving.
See u adventurous type or not loh.
starfish.starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:37 AM   #13

Just returned from an almost 2 weeks trip in South Africa. It's our first safari (Kruger) and we didn't expect it to be that easy to spot animals. Some came really close to the road sides. Probably our expectations were low but we were quite happy to spot four of the big five and other animals both on the organised sunrise/sunset drives and self-drives. Other places we visited in South Africa were interesting too.

Here's our brief itinerary:

Cape Town (Simon Town, Penguin Colony, Cape Point, Cape of Good Hope, Lion's Head hike, Table Mountain, Robben Island) - Garden Route (Cape Agulhas) - Plettenberg Bay (Robberg Nature Reserve Hike, Giraffe View Safari, Ocean Safari was cancelled due to weather) - Overnight Train from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg - Johannesburg (Day tour to Soweto, Apartheid Museum, Roof of Africa) - Panorama Route (Graskop, Pilgrim's Rest, Mac Mac, Lisbon and Berlin Waterfalls, Blyde River Canyon Viewpoints) - Kruger National Park (Safaris) - Cullinan Diamond Mine - Johannesburg

Notes:
- We stayed in Simon Town instead of Cape Town
- Rented a vehicle from Cape Town airport on arrival and returned the vehicle at Port Elizabeth
- Due to safety concerns, we didn't self drive inside Johannesburg city. We joined a guided day tour to see Johannesburg and spent two nights at a safe part of the city. We then rented a vehicle from Johannesburg airport and self-drive to Panorama Route and Kruger before returning to the airport and fly home.

Suggestions:
- Read up on South Africa before the trip to have better appreciation of the country (e.g. read Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela or watch movies like Goodbye Bafana, Invictus)
- If I have only one week, I would choose to visit Cape Town and around before flying to Skukuza for Kruger. I feel this gives a good balance of outdoor activities, animals, mountains and oceans.
- For Kruger, above posters have given good tips. Bring a good zoom camera if you are into photography. Binoculars are helpful.
danielkok likes this.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:25 AM   #14
Master Member

Now that you've done Kruger, if you enjoyed it, you can consider other parts of Africa - like Kenya / Tanzania for the migration, Botswana is also up and coming, Uganda for the gorillas, etc.

Comparing the two, South Africa is more luxurious in terms of accommodation and food, but it is only the appetiser when it comes to the animals. At Kruger, when we spotted a lion, it was like "wah".... in Tanzania, we went out looking for the cheetahs and leopards and when we couldn't find them, the lion was the consolation because I think we saw lions almost every day (as compared to the leopard which we only saw twice on one day - they are a lot more elusive). We had a pride of 15-20 lions lazing around in a circle one day.

So yeah, if you enjoyed the teaser, consider the other parts of Africa.
jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #15

We are also planning to go Africa, sorry to hijack the thread a bit, what airline cheapest to SA? Also, do you fly open jaw? Ex: Arrive in CT, Depart at JB.

Our planning still messy, my friend also want to go Kenya besides South Africa, not sure 3 weeks enough.
Ekspakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.