[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sigh....managed to get synology support to help me. they somehow remount my volume and say my other hdd also not healthy! so now i have to create a new volume 2 with thr rma-ed hdd, then use ssh to move my data files over. i cant use the dsm to love coz the crashed volume disabled it.

yesterday just moved finish the files....now waiting for support to give further instructions.....on how to rebuild the volume 2 with fault tolerance and not sure whats gonna happen to existing packafes since i guess they were on volume 1.

lesson learn, buy new NAS, dont buy all disk together. suspect same batch of HDD crash at same time.....

Sent from 10char using GAGT

That's why I usually buy my HDD from different source even if it means no warranty.

1 Amazon, 1 local for instance. Usually no local warranty from Amazon but HDD usually outlived its warranty period.

U can get 2 different brands if you want too

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's why I usually buy my HDD from different source even if it means no warranty.

1 Amazon, 1 local for instance. Usually no local warranty from Amazon but HDD usually outlived its warranty period.

U can get 2 different brands if you want too

If want to do normal raid, not SHR, must be same brand and model right?

hanz170

Reaction score
Looking for advice on good approach to upgrading. Currently using a Synology DS212J and planning to upgrade to DS216+.

What's in DS212J, is 2x HDD WD Green 2TB 3.5" using SHR

If I want to buy 2x 4TB 3.5" HDD for the new DS216+ NAS, should I remove the second DS212J drive and plug the 4TB in to duplicate the current 2TB HDD in DS212J first.

Then remove it and use that now mirror copy 4TB HDD and install in the DS216+, first time doing a migration and want to get this right as I am not only doing a migration, I also want to upgrade the HDD to 2x 4TB using SHR on the new DS216+ at the same time I want to keep using the older DS212J, not sure if there is any setup conflict if I do it like this.

Any guidance is much appreciated, TIA.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on good approach to upgrading. Currently using a Synology DS212J and planning to upgrade to DS216+.

What's in DS212J, is 2x HDD WD Green 2TB 3.5" using SHR

If I want to buy 2x 4TB 3.5" HDD for the new DS216+ NAS, should I remove the second DS212J drive and plug the 4TB in to duplicate the current 2TB HDD in DS212J first.

Then remove it and use that now mirror copy 4TB HDD and install in the DS216+, first time doing a migration and want to get this right as I am not only doing a migration, I also want to upgrade the HDD to 2x 4TB using SHR on the new DS216+ at the same time I want to keep using the older DS212J, not sure if there is any setup conflict if I do it like this.

Any guidance is much appreciated, TIA.

Just do a replication between both devices on LAN. Saving you the effort of plugging, tweaking the RAID settings and etc don't you think?

hanz170

Reaction score
Just do a replication between both devices on LAN. Saving you the effort of plugging, tweaking the RAID settings and etc don't you think?

I logged into DSM.. wah cheem searching for replication. Will search and see how this is done using LAN replication.

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wrong thread.

chances are your router doesn't have the capacity to handle such load.

y is it a wrong thread?

I mentioned that I plugged in the portable HDD to the USB3.0 port of the NAS and the NAS hung when I initiated a large copy job. What has it got to do with the router?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
y is it a wrong thread?

I mentioned that I plugged in the portable HDD to the USB3.0 port of the NAS and the NAS hung when I initiated a large copy job. What has it got to do with the router?

Apologize, read it incorrectly.

No such issue with USB 3.0 drives 4TB portable formatted with exFat and NTFS respectively.

I transferred my entire backup to the external drives and have no hangs or whatsoever

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last night, I went to reset my NAS cos I want to take the chance to upgrade the file system to btrfs while my NAS is not too filled up yet.

While in the process of copying back the files, I got 2 emails on I/O errors on disk 2 and disk 3.

Code:
Dear user,

The hard disk 2 on NAS had an I/O error, but it is working properly now after several retries. It might have been caused by bad sectors. If this error occurs again, please back up your data and run the S.M.A.R.T. test on your hard drive to examine the hard drive status.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation

Code:
Dear user,

The hard disk 3 on NAS had an I/O error, but it is working properly now after several retries. It might have been caused by bad sectors. If this error occurs again, please back up your data and run the S.M.A.R.T. test on your hard drive to examine the hard drive status.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation

Not sure if anyone encountered this? I'm not sure its a Synology issue or a HDD issue. The time difference between the email on the errors on disk 2 and disk 3 is about 5 min. The NAS and HDD are hardly 1 month old. Can't be so sway that so fast the disk uplorry? 2 disks somemore.

Tried short smart on all 4 disks and all hung at 90%. Disk scrubbing is still running, so not sure if this imparts the smart test

the copying is still in progress, and so far *touchwood* no more additional emails on I/O errors.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apologize, read it incorrectly.

No such issue with USB 3.0 drives 4TB portable formatted with exFat and NTFS respectively.

I transferred my entire backup to the external drives and have no hangs or whatsoever

thanks for the feedback. Mine was formatted as ext4 I'm checking if ext4 has a better performance.

jeffng28

Reaction score
Last night, I went to reset my NAS cos I want to take the chance to upgrade the file system to btrfs while my NAS is not too filled up yet.

While in the process of copying back the files, I got 2 emails on I/O errors on disk 2 and disk 3.

Code:
Dear user,

The hard disk 2 on NAS had an I/O error, but it is working properly now after several retries. It might have been caused by bad sectors. If this error occurs again, please back up your data and run the S.M.A.R.T. test on your hard drive to examine the hard drive status.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation

Code:
Dear user,

The hard disk 3 on NAS had an I/O error, but it is working properly now after several retries. It might have been caused by bad sectors. If this error occurs again, please back up your data and run the S.M.A.R.T. test on your hard drive to examine the hard drive status.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation

Not sure if anyone encountered this? I'm not sure its a Synology issue or a HDD issue. The time difference between the email on the errors on disk 2 and disk 3 is about 5 min. The NAS and HDD are hardly 1 month old. Can't be so sway that so fast the disk uplorry? 2 disks somemore.

Tried short smart on all 4 disks and all hung at 90%. Disk scrubbing is still running, so not sure if this imparts the smart test

the copying is still in progress, and so far *touchwood* no more additional emails on I/O errors.

Any thoughts?

I just replaced 4 of my WD Red Harddisk which shows I/O error. Yesterday went home and my Synology was beeping like crazy. Now Disk 3 totally gone and will have to replace it. Thinking of changing this Disk 3 to Seagate and see if it is Harddisk issue or NAS issue. My gut feel is that replacing the hardisk will work but how long after will this issue resurface, I am not too sure. This is the 2nd time I replace some of the WD Hardisk.

Remember reading somewhere in the Synology Forum that some owners had some issues with WD Red, especially the 8 bays 1813+

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just replaced 4 of my WD Red Harddisk which shows I/O error. Yesterday went home and my Synology was beeping like crazy. Now Disk 3 totally gone and will have to replace it. Thinking of changing this Disk 3 to Seagate and see if it is Harddisk issue or NAS issue. My gut feel is that replacing the hardisk will work but how long after will this issue resurface, I am not too sure. This is the 2nd time I replace some of the WD Hardisk.

Remember reading somewhere in the Synology Forum that some owners had some issues with WD Red, especially the 8 bays 1813+

WD Red HDD issue with Synology NAS is across the board, not a specific model only. Use Toshiba 7200rpm HDD instead.

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Ur NAS is how many bay one? how old were the disks when u replaced them?

2 of my colleagues have been using WD red with their Synology NAS for couple of years already and they dun have any problems to the ones compared to ours. Not sure if its isolated to their recent batches.

Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WD Red HDD issue with Synology NAS is across the board, not a specific model only. Use Toshiba 7200rpm HDD instead.

No use 1 despite our repeated reminders, there are people out there who enjoyed questioning and going ahead with WD RED.

That I can say for sure, WD marketing strategy works

jeffng28

Reaction score
Ur NAS is how many bay one? how old were the disks when u replaced them?

2 of my colleagues have been using WD red with their Synology NAS for couple of years already and they dun have any problems to the ones compared to ours. Not sure if its isolated to their recent batches.

Mine is 8 bays 1813+. Been using them for about 9 months until the 1st HD I/O error which i had to RMA 2 drives. After RMA, put in the drives and used for another 2 months. After the latest firmware update, the I/O issues appeared again.

I remember also that during the 1st I/O failure, it was also after a firmware update. Now not sure if it is due to Synology Firmware or WD Harddisk. Trying to replace the disk with another Seagate to try out.

I have some other 5 bays with WD Red installed till now no issues.

mike911

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone getting abnormal restart during load i.e. rsync transfers after updating to DSM 6 onwards?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ds414
I noted that there is a latest update resolving some restart issue. But it didn't seem to help.

My NAS is same as yours and suffered a similar fate too. Go to page 207 and view post# 3097.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.