HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Advise pls

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
Supremacy Member

Advise pls

Hi,

I am 33 yrs old. My last job was in oil and gas. I am doing a mid-career switch as things are bad there and will get worse going forward. I have a banking and finance private degree. Banking looks pretty bad too.

Currently not working. Is there an entry level job I can apply for while studying or should I study something first. I am have always been interested in computers and contemplating working in a data centre or similar environment. Is CCNA a good start?

Pls advise.
occifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Hi,

I am 33 yrs old. My last job was in oil and gas. I am doing a mid-career switch as things are bad there and will get worse going forward. I have a banking and finance private degree. Banking looks pretty bad too.

Currently not working. Is there an entry level job I can apply for while studying or should I study something first. I am have always been interested in computers and contemplating working in a data centre or similar environment. Is CCNA a good start?

Pls advise.
Learn fundamentals of comp sci
ExtremeWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
Supremacy Member

Learn fundamentals of comp sci
Is that a diploma? I dont wanna dip to degree again. Just looking for an entry cert to start off and then study while working from there.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi,

Pls advise.
if u think banking is bad... IT isn't that good either. IT is probably the same as banking or worse.
havetheveryfun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

if u think banking is bad... IT isn't that good either. IT is probably the same as banking or worse.
Hmmm how is it these days?

I have interest in computer related stuffs. Because banks have it bad and are firing. Not so easy to get in either as many fired staff are trying to get back in.

In general, it seems banks cant make much money unless they create a recession for others or charge high fees for this and that. Alot of bank jobs are admin. These bankers do stuff that be replaced without too much difficulty, especially back-end.

I believe jobs with technical knowledge are better.

Last edited by occifer; 13-03-2018 at 03:30 PM..
Old 16-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hmmm how is it these days?

I have interest in computer related stuffs. Because banks have it bad and are firing. Not so easy to get in either as many fired staff are trying to get back in.

In general, it seems banks cant make much money unless they create a recession for others or charge high fees for this and that. Alot of bank jobs are admin. These bankers do stuff that be replaced without too much difficulty, especially back-end.

I believe jobs with technical knowledge are better.
Banks are so big than just banking functions... banks also have a huge IT department.. if not where all the information of your bank account balances, passwords are stored? The servers? The mobile applications and ibanking interface they roll out and improve every few months ?

IT jobs are even more hire and fire compared to other industries.. once the projects are done, they have no need for you anymore
havetheveryfun is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.