Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgsons

Reaction score
I setup this thread regarding Loanshark harassment. I, myself is not a debtor however to be frank someone in my family does.

I hope to gather more users and people to voice out. The Police are doing a lot to curb this problem. However we must face the fact that this problem had been there for decades. Have faith and trust in our system. It is very hard to eliminate the network, nevertheless if every citizen does their part in cooperating; it is must easier to get to the network.

This is how you can help. If any of your family members owe loan shark money, tell them not to pay up a single cent. Tell them to call the Police Hotline number 1800 225 0000 to transfer you to the relevant department. In which there is a specific department in the West that handle Loan Shark Cases.

In the event that you are the debtor, please refrain from helping the loanshark or fall into their trap to help them in their illegal activities. They will ask you for personal details. E.g. Singpass, ATM card or even ask you to help them distribute brochures or transfer money.

Don’t fall prey to become a target by the loanshark syndicate. In the event that you can’t make payment they will ask you to work for them to pay off your debts. Don’t do it. Owing money doesn’t resort in a death penalty, jail sentence or caning. However if you are debtors turn assistors, the punishment is very severe. You, yourself will in turn from a victim become a criminal.

Under the Moneylenders Act 2010 (Revised Edition), first-time offenders found guilty of carrying on the business as an unlicensed moneylender or assisting in the business of unlicensed moneylending may be fined not less than $30,000 and not more $300,000, be imprisoned for a term not exceeding four years and shall also be liable to be punished with caning not more than six strokes. First time offender found guilty of loanshark harassment shall be punished with imprisonment for a term of up to 5 years, a fine of not less than $5,000 and not more than $50,000, and shall also be liable to caning of not less than 3 and not more than 6 strokes.

You have heard of the saying, 明知道老虎会咬人,你还一直喂他,那就是自寻死路。
If you are a debtor, please don’t blame yourself for what happen. If you are not desperate, you won’t be borrowing from them. Seek your family understanding. Sometime you would feel helpless, you are loss, you always trying to source money to meet payment, the pain and psychological torture is unbearable. But please face the fact; this is never the end of life.

Don’t pay them; it is not against the law not to pay them. They will threaten to report on you and use a lot of threatening message to make you pay or work for them. But come to think of it, when did they show up to receive the payment in person. It is always through Bank Transfer. Ask yourself why.

Learn to understand the situation you are in, accept it. And be true to your family about the money lending matter. Call NPCG for counselling in the event that your family members don’t understand.

The methodology that they used is always to instill fear in their victims. And from the news you would know that many loan shark always are so notorious. But come to think of it, who are the one that are being used by them. Who are the one that are doing the dirty job? The debtors are always the one.
Ask yourself a question, why does the Police always so reactive towards the loan shark? It is because the loan sharks are always under the veil. They used the debtors as smoke screen.

What will happen in the event you don’t pay up?
They will spray paint at your house, disturb your neighbor, disgrace you, humiliate you and shame you. These are the tactics that they used. So how bad can this be? Do you want your life back again? Or do you want to live in a lifetime full of fear. I will be very honest with you. My father had been feeding the tiger for years and finally now, he decide to heel the Police advice and stop paying and cooperate with them.

You are not the only one suffering if you continue to pay. Think about your family for the long term. Do you want them to suffer with you for 10 year, 20 years, worrying about money? Think about it. Do you want to be partner in crime? Or do you want a lifelong happiness with your family. If you really care for your family members, you should know the right thing to do. If you are scares you can always post on the forum or talk to someone regarding the case.

I believe if we unite as one, we can accomplish more. If you are young, bold, adventurous, please feel free to voice out. We can always spend some time to help one another. We can help family by family if we have more manpower. The debtors need people to talk to. The family members need assurance and comfort. We don’t blame other for not helping us, if we are not helping ourselves. We don’t need to resort to violence; we want to build a peaceful community for everyone to live in.

And again, I need more people and more support to discuss matter and also plan to help other out.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

winorlose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you owe people money you jolly well pay la! This is ethics! If you are doing business, you surely fail if you don't make your debtors pay you.

How about you lend me money? and i don't pay you back? and i keep promising you i would do so next month and then slowly..next year?

nb.. nowadays people who owe other others money like king man! somemore creditors need to beg them to return.

KuroI-Kaze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i suggest that u borrow 500k from the loan shark, contact can get from your dad. then when they ask for payment u can tell them to fck off it is not a crime not to repay them straight in their face.

I very curious what would happen.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When there is a demand there will be supply. Problem all lies with people who spend beyond their means.

But the ah longs are also damn retarded. If the debtor move house liao, you go and ka cheow the new resident for what? You think he will pay on the debtor's behalf? Wait long long!

Once I read in M'sia an ah long went to collect money and got bashed up. Too bad its only the runner not the big boss. Big boss got no balls, send out his ka kia while he sits on this fat arse at home.

blitzboy_96

Reaction score
I feel you... My parents and I are recent victims of loan shark harassment as well. It's all because of my useless brother who HAS NOT STAYED WITH US FOR 10 YEARS.

He recently divorced and borrowed $$ from various loan sharks. So I believe either he/ his ex-wife gave our address/mobiles to the loan sharks. Though the loan sharks primary target is his ex-wife's unit but we are still targeted at times (nothing too serious yet but it could be just the beginning). And him being the irresponsible father and son just disappear and left us to fend for ourselves against those loan sharks...

Would be great if you guys have any advice to deal with these loan sharks. We have reported police. But not sure how useful it will be. Thanks!

timchua

Reaction score
Never understood why people would borrow such large sums of money for loan sharks if they didn't have a sustainable way to return it at the very most borrow from banks on credit or something to avoid lifetime of trauma of threats and the very most get sue-d until you're bankrupt if they chose the safer path

JLennon

Reaction score
Unlicensed moneylenders

Need help
To settle unlicensed moneylending
I'm scared

JLennon

Reaction score
I setup this thread regarding Loanshark harassment. I, myself is not a debtor however to be frank someone in my family does.

I hope to gather more users and people to voice out. The Police are doing a lot to curb this problem. However we must face the fact that this problem had been there for decades. Have faith and trust in our system. It is very hard to eliminate the network, nevertheless if every citizen does their part in cooperating; it is must easier to get to the network.

This is how you can help. If any of your family members owe loan shark money, tell them not to pay up a single cent. Tell them to call the Police Hotline number 1800 225 0000 to transfer you to the relevant department. In which there is a specific department in the West that handle Loan Shark Cases.

In the event that you are the debtor, please refrain from helping the loanshark or fall into their trap to help them in their illegal activities. They will ask you for personal details. E.g. Singpass, ATM card or even ask you to help them distribute brochures or transfer money.

Don’t fall prey to become a target by the loanshark syndicate. In the event that you can’t make payment they will ask you to work for them to pay off your debts. Don’t do it. Owing money doesn’t resort in a death penalty, jail sentence or caning. However if you are debtors turn assistors, the punishment is very severe. You, yourself will in turn from a victim become a criminal.

Under the Moneylenders Act 2010 (Revised Edition), first-time offenders found guilty of carrying on the business as an unlicensed moneylender or assisting in the business of unlicensed moneylending may be fined not less than $30,000 and not more $300,000, be imprisoned for a term not exceeding four years and shall also be liable to be punished with caning not more than six strokes. First time offender found guilty of loanshark harassment shall be punished with imprisonment for a term of up to 5 years, a fine of not less than $5,000 and not more than $50,000, and shall also be liable to caning of not less than 3 and not more than 6 strokes.

If you are a debtor, please don’t blame yourself for what happen. If you are not desperate, you won’t be borrowing from them. Seek your family understanding. Sometime you would feel helpless, you are loss, you always trying to source money to meet payment, the pain and psychological torture is unbearable. But please face the fact; this is never the end of life.

Don’t pay them; it is not against the law not to pay them. They will threaten to report on you and use a lot of threatening message to make you pay or work for them. But come to think of it, when did they show up to receive the payment in person. It is always through Bank Transfer. Ask yourself why.

Learn to understand the situation you are in, accept it. And be true to your family about the money lending matter. Call NPCG for counselling in the event that your family members don’t understand.

The methodology that they used is always to instill fear in their victims. And from the news you would know that many loan shark always are so notorious. But come to think of it, who are the one that are being used by them. Who are the one that are doing the dirty job? The debtors are always the one.
Ask yourself a question, why does the Police always so reactive towards the loan shark? It is because the loan sharks are always under the veil. They used the debtors as smoke screen.

They will spray paint at your house, disturb your neighbor, disgrace you, humiliate you and shame you. These are the tactics that they used. So how bad can this be? Do you want your life back again? Or do you want to live in a lifetime full of fear. I will be very honest with you. My father had been feeding the tiger for years and finally now, he decide to heel the Police advice and stop paying and cooperate with them.

You are not the only one suffering if you continue to pay. Think about your family for the long term. Do you want them to suffer with you for 10 year, 20 years, worrying about money? Think about it. Do you want to be partner in crime? Or do you want a lifelong happiness with your family. If you really care for your family members, you should know the right thing to do. If you are scares you can always post on the forum or talk to someone regarding the case.

I believe if we unite as one, we can accomplish more. If you are young, bold, adventurous, please feel free to voice out. We can always spend some time to help one another. We can help family by family if we have more manpower. The debtors need people to talk to. The family members need assurance and comfort. We don’t blame other for not helping us, if we are not helping ourselves. We don’t need to resort to violence; we want to build a peaceful community for everyone to live in.

And again, I need more people and more support to discuss matter and also plan to help other out.

Hi please help advice me

kitkatty

Reaction score

I came across your post which you wrote in 2014. I'd faced this back in 2013. It was a mistake made by my elder brother. The amount he borrowed wasn't much. But we got scared at first, and ended up paying a lot more. He had hid the matter from my dad and when we found out we tried to settle the whole thing in a day or two. But the last straw came when we realised the different "callers" sounded the same and tried to make us pag even more by telling us that the money we transferred to him got sent to the wrong account. So we made a police report. Fixed cctvs etc.. repainted walls and then we shifted house to regain our loss of money.. downgraded.

It's been 3 years. Just yesterday, my dad received a threatening msg that wanted to talk to my brother abt owing money. It is so out of the blue. We asked my brother. And we do have faith that he has changed for the better. We would have ignored it but then the so-called loanshark sent us an image of our current house door. So we're lodging a police report.

Just wondering, how has it been for you? Any threats now?

kitkatty

Reaction score
Help
Please.......

Firstly, no matter how afraid you are, tell the truth to your family. Don't pay back anymore... I'm sure you have paid more than you borrowed by now. They will start harassment etc. Make a police report. Fix a cctv. Etc. They will attack you psychologically first.

StupidPeanutButter

Reaction score
Just to share my experience - My dad used to owe money from both legal and illegal moneylenders.

Legal ones are the worst because they can openly shout outside your house and make a scene. They are very smart in their tactic to taunt you. For example, they will spit at you. When you got worked up and attempt to retaliate, they will start filming you to portray you as "aggressive". Thus, they have a good story to tell police and media that this family is so aggressive which is why they have to be "fierce". Police can only "ask" them to leave. In other countries, there is a law to stipulate timing where you are not allowed to solicit payment from debtors to avoid causing nuisance. However, in good old Singapore, there is no such law :s22:.

Illegal moneylender on the other hand, are people who will not be satisfy with a 1 time payment. They will compound and inflate the interest payable.
The people who harassed you are not the actual loanshark. They are often fellow debtors who cant pay up and forced to be runners to avoid embarrassment. The sim cards used by them are usually prepaid cards purchased from foreign workers who have left spore. Similarly, the bank accounts are also debtors or scapegoats who are paid to open accounts for them. Thus, it is very difficult to trace the mastermind. The downside is they are scared of police and thus, having cctv helps to make them "panic" and minimise damages to your property.

rotting@desk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I came across your post which you wrote in 2014. I'd faced this back in 2013. It was a mistake made by my elder brother. The amount he borrowed wasn't much. But we got scared at first, and ended up paying a lot more. He had hid the matter from my dad and when we found out we tried to settle the whole thing in a day or two. But the last straw came when we realised the different "callers" sounded the same and tried to make us pag even more by telling us that the money we transferred to him got sent to the wrong account. So we made a police report. Fixed cctvs etc.. repainted walls and then we shifted house to regain our loss of money.. downgraded.

It's been 3 years. Just yesterday, my dad received a threatening msg that wanted to talk to my brother abt owing money. It is so out of the blue. We asked my brother. And we do have faith that he has changed for the better. We would have ignored it but then the so-called loanshark sent us an image of our current house door. So we're lodging a police report.

u sure ur brother had stopped?

3 yrs is along time for the ah long to suddenly wanna dig again if nt is those ppl really think u guys r super suckers to be pursuing after so long juz to see if can heng heng tok more money frm u

coey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Came across this singapore anti loanshark share fb. Hope it can helps the people who need help.

PSG1234

Reaction score

Hi I came across your reply. Recently I inquire to borrow money from a moneylender advertising his services by sms. My fault is I have send all my details to him, NRIC, bank account. In the end I change my mind and don't want to borrow but he said he already transfer 400., so I must pay 600 by the following week. Following week he ask me to defer payment and pay 200 only., but I want to clear so I paid 600. He started threatening and send some image of loan shark graffiti and threaten to burn my house if I don't pay him another 600. I have lodged a police report and have no intention of paying him again. The police suggest to change my phone number and don't reply again to this ah long.

PSG1234

Reaction score
Just to share my experience - My dad used to owe money from both legal and illegal moneylenders.

Legal ones are the worst because they can openly shout outside your house and make a scene. They are very smart in their tactic to taunt you. For example, they will spit at you. When you got worked up and attempt to retaliate, they will start filming you to portray you as "aggressive". Thus, they have a good story to tell police and media that this family is so aggressive which is why they have to be "fierce". Police can only "ask" them to leave. In other countries, there is a law to stipulate timing where you are not allowed to solicit payment from debtors to avoid causing nuisance. However, in good old Singapore, there is no such law :s22:.

Illegal moneylender on the other hand, are people who will not be satisfy with a 1 time payment. They will compound and inflate the interest payable.
The people who harassed you are not the actual loanshark. They are often fellow debtors who cant pay up and forced to be runners to avoid embarrassment. The sim cards used by them are usually prepaid cards purchased from foreign workers who have left spore. Similarly, the bank accounts are also debtors or scapegoats who are paid to open accounts for them. Thus, it is very difficult to trace the mastermind. The downside is they are scared of police and thus, having cctv helps to make them "panic" and minimise damages to your property.

Were you guys threatened?

clownshinigami@gmail.com

Reaction score
Hi I came across your reply. Recently I inquire to borrow money from a moneylender advertising his services by sms. My fault is I have send all my details to him, NRIC, bank account. In the end I change my mind and don't want to borrow but he said he already transfer 400., so I must pay 600 by the following week. Following week he ask me to defer payment and pay 200 only., but I want to clear so I paid 600. He started threatening and send some image of loan shark graffiti and threaten to burn my house if I don't pay him another 600. I have lodged a police report and have no intention of paying him again. The police suggest to change my phone number and don't reply again to this ah long.

Happen to me also, so what happen after u clear the 600? Anything happen to ur house,family, next of kin?

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I go borrow $100k from 10 ah long, then I can follow the above highlighted step or not ? Then I will become instant millionaire without strike TOTO. Let the police catch all the ah long for harassing me. Can ? :s11::s11::s11:

stupidpig

Reaction score

Hi,
Recently I also being threatened by one ah long. Similar to your case. Can I know how u settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.