MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

alvinym

Reaction score
Not sure about your case. For my house the main splitter is definitely inside the locked box as I got a good look years ago when I subscribed and then unsubscribe to starhub TV.

The reason why they locked the box is that there is 2 main splitter inside. One from the rooftop master antenna and the other is the splitter from Starhub TV. If you subscribe to starhub TV, they will just plug your house main splitter to their starhub TV splitter and you will be able to watch their programmes, losing access to free to air TV signals from the master antenna in the process.

I think you should call town council or HDB to verify whether your main splitter is inside that box or not.
My HDB block TOP on 1998 and unlike newer HDB, there is no utility box inside the unit. By any chance is your block TOP on the similar year?
Before i reach out to starhub, I have actually called HDB then bounced to TC then lastly to starhub.

alvinym

Reaction score
New Motorola moca 2.0 bonded mm-1000 available in amazon 4 those interested

Thanks for the update, i was just searching yesterday and unable to find it but it doesnt ship to Singapore... I am afraid of the kiwee/yitong units though its cheap.

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My HDB block TOP on 1998 and unlike newer HDB, there is no utility box inside the unit. By any chance is your block TOP on the similar year?
Before i reach out to starhub, I have actually called HDB then bounced to TC then lastly to starhub.

My flat top is 7 to 8 yrs ago but the utility box is outside which means the flat is not wired up with cat6 cables by HDB. If the main splitter is not in the box, why do they need to lock up the box? It's obviously to prevent access to their starhub antenna. Ymmv though.

alvinym

Reaction score
Anyone know of any POE filter sellers in SG? currently still scanning through UF technology site but not finding any or have missed it .. lol

My flat top is 7 to 8 yrs ago but the utility box is outside which means the flat is not wired up with cat6 cables by HDB. If the main splitter is not in the box, why do they need to lock up the box? It's obviously to prevent access to their starhub antenna. Ymmv though.
I see i see, when you say utility box located outside, do you mean the riser?
For my side, except the electrical fuse box is inside, others are outside at the riser.
Thanks for the info too.

Last edited:

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any POE filter sellers in SG? currently still scanning through UF technology site but not finding any or have missed it .. lol

I see i see, when you say utility box located outside, do you mean the riser?
For my side, except the electrical fuse box is inside, others are outside at the riser.
Thanks for the info too.

Ya, referring to the riser.

Last edited:

alvinym

Reaction score
Got my moca network up and running since yesterday.

Very impressed cause through the speedtests, i am getting a 99% steady ping and speed hovering between 880mbps to 920mbps.. hehehe

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The same as TS and manyu, i got the moca adapters + the POE filter from amazon.
Literally plug-and-play... had some hiccups with the POE installation even though it was a just a bloody simple no-brainer <3mins installation.

Congrats. So you found your main splitter? Is it in the locked box?

wolnavi

Reaction score
Apparently not, still unable to locate the main splitter.. i had starhub technician to come and end up installed at the riser.

Do u need to pay for the starhub technician to come? What you said that made them come?

alvinym

Reaction score
Do u need to pay for the starhub technician to come? What you said that made them come?

Yes, had to pay $42.80 which sucks.
It took me quite awhile to get them to check and understand. They give u more attention if you are starhub subscriber, else "insist you have cable problem which requires a technician to check" or "tell them you have MOCA network setup & need a technician to help locate the cable POE". My case was the later and i got the POE filter before arranging for the technician visit.
Apparently the technician who visit knows what i am talking about as opposed to the CS over the phone.
Anyway, the best option is to find your in-house main splitter.

alvinym

Reaction score
Fyi, below is my setup which is very similar to what TS has in page1:

6agTfJi.jpg

Update: To add in on the items I got for my moca setup
1. Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0, two pack(ECB6200K02) > http://a.co/6vVaLJ5
2. Holland Electronics MoCA POE Filter (low pass filter) > http://a.co/i48uq0r

Info:
> Other items such as cables & splitters remained unchanged.
I had reused the cables RG6 and normal splitter (5~1000mhz) as I read through the forums (found in first post) that MoCA is designed to work with normal splitters, except the old ferrite core splitters.
> To those who would want to extend WIFI, you could choose to get one bonded 2.0 adapter and another adapter with WIFI extender (WCB6200Q02), URL - http://a.co/ecF5boI

Last edited:

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apparently not, still unable to locate the main splitter.. i had starhub technician to come and end up installed at the riser.

That is the main splitter/connection which leads into your flat from either the matv or starhub cable connection.

Last edited:

alvinym

Reaction score
That is the main splitter/connection which leads into your flat from either the matv or starhub cable connection.

Ah okay, I see where you are coming from. Yes, it is the main splitter from Starhub. The riser splitter consist of cables connecting to the same unit number (e.g. unit no. 50) but different floors (i see at least 3 floors above and below).
For example, the riser on 3rd floor will have a splitter for - #01-50, #02-50, #03-50, #04-50, #05-50 and #06-50.

From the riser, there will be one cable going into a HDB unit and from this cable it will split to different wall sockets. I am referring to this "main splitter" :)

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Ah okay, I see where you are coming from. Yes, it is the main splitter from Starhub. The riser splitter consist of cables connecting to the same unit number (e.g. unit no. 50) but different floors (i see at least 3 floors above and below).
For example, the riser on 3rd floor will have a splitter for - #01-50, #02-50, #03-50, #04-50, #05-50 and #06-50.

From the riser, there will be one cable going into a HDB unit and from this cable it will split to different wall sockets. I am referring to this "main splitter" :)

I am actually curious whether we will be able to setup moca successfully if we do not call starhub to come open up the riser box but install poe filter into each and every one of the TV points in the house. Will it have the same effect?

alvinym

Reaction score
I am actually curious whether we will be able to setup moca successfully if we do not call starhub to come open up the riser box but install poe filter into each and every one of the TV points in the house. Will it have the same effect?

Hmmm, personally and logically, i do not think it will work.
If I am not wrong, POE filter (also known as a low pass filter) restricts signal transmission (of a specified mhz range) into one direction (unidirectional connection).
MoCA works in a higher transmission, by default 1150mhz, thus will be blocked off or reflected by the POE filter.

E.g.
1. Without POE filter, signals runs bidirectional on all mhz range:
Coaxial point A <------> Coaxial point B

2. With POE filter, signals runs unidirectional on specified mhz range (>1000mhz)
Coaxial point A <---=---> Coaxial point B (bidirectional below 1000mhz)
Coaxial point A ----=----> Coaxial point B (unidirectional above 1000mhz)

Therefore, referring to the 2nd example, with POE filter installed between point A and point B. The MOCA will be able to transmit its signal from point A to point B thus having 'data download'.
However, due the the filter blocking off signals, the moca network would not have any 'data upload'. This will result in being able to load a website but unable to navigate because your requests are not sent back to the web server.

Hope I am able to explain it .. lol

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, personally and logically, i do not think it will work.
If I am not wrong, POE filter (also known as a low pass filter) restricts signal transmission (of a specified mhz range) into one direction (unidirectional connection).
MoCA works in a higher transmission, by default 1150mhz, thus will be blocked off or reflected by the POE filter.

E.g.
1. Without POE filter, signals runs bidirectional on all mhz range:
Coaxial point A <------> Coaxial point B

2. With POE filter, signals runs unidirectional on specified mhz range (>1000mhz)
Coaxial point A <---=---> Coaxial point B (bidirectional below 1000mhz)
Coaxial point A ----=----> Coaxial point B (unidirectional above 1000mhz)

Therefore, referring to the 2nd example, with POE filter installed between point A and point B. The MOCA will be able to transmit its signal from point A to point B thus having 'data download'.
However, due the the filter blocking off signals, the moca network would not have any 'data upload'. This will result in being able to load a website but unable to navigate because your requests are not sent back to the web server.

Hope I am able to explain it .. lol

Wow, that is kinda mind blowing for my level. Tks for the answer.

alvinym

Reaction score
lol, sry, i tried to be as layman as i could.
TLDR, no, moca will not work by having POE filter on each tv point

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.