HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Data roaming and cellular data off, but still charged with data roaming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #1
PC
Supremacy Member

Data roaming and cellular data off, but still charged with data roaming

Every single time I went Malaysia, I'm being charged with data roaming. By default, data roaming is set to off. I've never ever set it to on since I used iphone few months back. I even switch off cellular data to be safe, but still I'm still charged with data roaming.

I double confirm, triple confirm both the settings are off and was very sure the signal bar does not show any internet connection and i cannot access any email/whatsapp/internet. However, my bill still states a minor usage every single day I'm in Malaysia. I'm 100% sure i did not accidentally switch it on and there's no 3G/4G or whatever internet icon showing on screen.

i approach M1 but got the typical answer of switching off data roaming which i already did. can anyone help me?
PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:47 PM   #2
Master Member

Same thing for me on M1, they say I did not turn off data access individually hahaha

Went to HK and China and got a bill shock with 1 megabyte data use each on China and HK.

In the end told M1 to disable data roaming at the backend....
LonelyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:41 AM   #3

I don't have such an issue as I am a regular Asia traveler. There is an option m1 telco side disable the data roaming while you still able to receive SMS and mobile calls. I am on the Corp roaming services subscription.

Last edited by maxheadroom; 07-12-2016 at 09:53 AM..
maxheadroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #4

same happened to me. M1 user too. went to malaysia and was charged data though i had disabled location and roaming. funny thing is i had called them last year to disable data roaming as i dont need it even when i go overseas coz i buy local data sim card. called up cso and they waived for me after they run a check on my conversation with the cso i spoke to last year. another tip the cso gave me is to switch to 3G only when overseas. i dont know if that works but i had told the cso to disable data roaming.. just to be safe.
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #5

It happened to me before also. I told them I only swap back the card back to M1 Sim before reaching Singapore. They said maybe some apps trying to connect to Internet which my Data Roaming Option already set to off.

Not sure whether users from other telcos having this issue or not. It seems that M1 users having this issue. Now I will only switch back to my local sim when I reach checkpoint.
vannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
High Supremacy Member

How much was the bill for?
fade_white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #7
Banned

few months back went to Malaysia, back then was using iPhone 6s Plus, I offed cellular and location, they never charge me
BraveCloudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
PC
Supremacy Member

Wow! didn't expect other M1 users also experience this. now it gets me thinking how to get M1 to do something if other telco have no such problem.

can other users with similar problems post here as well? i find it ridiculous.

How much was the bill for?
if i remember per day range from $0.30 to $3+. On the month which I've high data roaming charges, I called in M1 and they waive for me saying it's once-off only.
PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

m1 only agreed to waive 75%, i was charged $18/day, $72 in total. wtf.
Old 19-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #10

I faced this issue earlier last month and called M1.
According to the operator, it's something to do with the iPhone 7 /Plus (not sure how accurate this really is).

For those who commented, are you guys using iPhone 7?

He suggested for me to turn off my roaming but I didn't as I do not want miss calls. Now I know you can turn off data specifically... I might consider.
idunknowlarh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

I think it is rubbish. iPhone 7 is sold to how many countries in the world. I remember one telco insist on charging me roaming until I show him my immigration record. When I am in woodlands, they charge me Malaysia roaming
htngwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 03:07 AM   #12
Master Member

Maybe time for a class action against Apple?
LonelyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #13

its due to m1 data on their system, called and ask before.
call them to block on their network level.

no such thing on other provider.
ska13a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #14

I was billed $230 for Jan and almost $300 for Feb. This only started when I change my phone in late Dec 2016. As I work overseas in the United States, I am very careful about roaming data charges and always make sure to turn off mobile data on my phone. Did the same for my new phone but was shocked to receive the Bill. Seems like disabling mobile data did not work on my new phone which is a HuaWei Mate 9.
kiasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #15

It happens to my wife iphone also. But lucky the provider verify that it is due to a "leak" in the phone as the data is to little when used. So I end up paying 30% and they take in the rest. I told them to disable the data roaming at their end for the phone also. So that it will not be activated in future.
brad_goh is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.