HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Seoul, Korea immersion for 4-5 weeks (end June - early August)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2015, 02:24 AM   #1
Supremacy Member

Seoul, Korea immersion for 4-5 weeks (end June - early August)

Hi all, anyone knows what I could do during the period I am in Seoul? What are the expenses including food, sight seeing, traveling, touristy attraction etc..I have accommodation with the university so that part of the expense is considered with my school fees instead.

Should I prepare any winter clothes/windbreaker etc while I am there?

Will going to the other parts of Korea like Busan, Jeju island be convenient during weekends?
Successor. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

It will be summer hot like in sg n rainy season.
Bring umbrella?

U can go to other parts of Korea during weekends via train Or bus.
Only takes 2 to 3hrs.
Hisashiburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

During weekends or when u are not in school, u and classmates can go to different parts of Korea.
Very accessible using the train and/or buses.

Recommend Busan (2 or 3 days), Gyeongju(old Capital city), Andong (stay at a village or remote hanok), seaside cities, mountains.

U can also sign up for a DMZ tour.
Heard that USO is one of the best available.

Also explore the various neighbourhoods of Seoul.
I really like the cafes in Seoul so u can check those out too.

Note that around June is their monsoon season so expect rain.
The good thing is that the air will probably be clearer!
Hisashiburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

It will be summer hot like in sg n rainy season.
Bring umbrella?

U can go to other parts of Korea during weekends via train Or bus.
Only takes 2 to 3hrs.
You've got any idea what's the cost of the Korea metro passes? Is it necessary to buy the term pass which is much cheaper if say I would be traveling as the per trip of 1,050 won per 10km and 100won per 5km may turn out to be a lot.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
Master Member

are you from UB??
Foress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #6

Hi all, anyone knows what I could do during the period I am in Seoul? What are the expenses including food, sight seeing, traveling, touristy attraction etc..I have accommodation with the university so that part of the expense is considered with my school fees instead.

Should I prepare any winter clothes/windbreaker etc while I am there?

Will going to the other parts of Korea like Busan, Jeju island be convenient during weekends?
I would suggest leaving Jeju to after your school term. I dont think a weekend is enough. What I did was we went to jeju after school sem ends and then flew to Busan for a few days before taking the ktx back to Seoul.

Like what Hisashiburi mentioned, it will be hot and rainy like how SG is. So not much difference when it comes to weather. Just remember to bring an umbrella along.

Download the app "korea subway". It will be very useful for your stay there.

You can head to ChunCheon, Nami Island, Sokcho (where the famous Seoraksan is at during your weekends. If you're looking to hike somewhere nearer to Seoul, try Bukhansan.
pinkibeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #7

I would suggest leaving Jeju to after your school term. I dont think a weekend is enough. What I did was we went to jeju after school sem ends and then flew to Busan for a few days before taking the ktx back to Seoul.

Like what Hisashiburi mentioned, it will be hot and rainy like how SG is. So not much difference when it comes to weather. Just remember to bring an umbrella along.

Download the app "korea subway". It will be very useful for your stay there.

You can head to ChunCheon, Nami Island, Sokcho (where the famous Seoraksan is at during your weekends. If you're looking to hike somewhere nearer to Seoul, try Bukhansan.
How did you manage your money during that period? Did you carry cash for the whole term or use CC/atm?
personalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #8

How did you manage your money during that period? Did you carry cash for the whole term or use CC/atm?
I carried cash and used atm towards the end. Do note that withdrawal of cash from their atm will have a service charge of $5 (if i never remember wrongly)
Old 06-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #9

I carried cash and used atm towards the end. Do note that withdrawal of cash from their atm will have a service charge of $5 (if i never remember wrongly)
Hi, thanks for the reply haha. Which bank did you use? Would you advise me to use credit card instead?
personalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 PM   #10

Hi, thanks for the reply haha. Which bank did you use? Would you advise me to use credit card instead?
I cant really rmb.. i think it was Shinhan and Woori bank. I did use cc for my recent trip. It's 3% cc charge + fx rates. So, I guess go for cc if you wanna save the trouble of carrying cash around!
Old 09-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #11

Hi,

Of course getting a metro pass is much cheaper. I used it throughout my trip. You get discount of about 100 KRW if you compared it to using single trip ticket. Add up, it will be quite alot.

And seriously per trip of 1,050 KRW is not cheap. Even if it's just 2-3 stops away. This is about $1.20-$1.30 SGD. It all adds up.

So get yourself a metro pass.
hehe thank you! is the metro pass available for term of 7 days?
govietnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.