Advice needed - Building a pc with ~$1000

icefirey

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Sharkoon REX3 Value Midi Tower Casing w/Side Window (63)
Power Color R9-270 TurboDuo OC 2GB (259)
Toshiba 2.5inch Hybrid 1TB SSHD SATA 6Gb/s (115)
Asrock H97 Pro4 LGA 1150 Motherboard - Bundle with Intel Core i3-4150(308)
Cooler Master Thunder 600W(72)
Kingston PC3-12800 4GB x2 (106)
Samsung 24x SATA DVD Burner (21)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64Bit DVD - OEM (138)
Total 1082 (from videopro as a price estimate)

I am aware of the fact that I am able to find the items at a cheaper price (with all the price lists) just that this is more for convenience sake(only had to add everything into shopping cart and copy paste with a few backspacing)? It would mainly be for gaming and also to allow for upgrades in the future.

My concerns are, do I really need a H87/H97 motherboard to benefit from the SSHD (from Intel Rapid Storage Tech etc)? Or will a H81 suffice?

Is a 600W PSU sufficient to support this rig? Or can I actually get a 500W/550W PSU?

SSHD wise, I am aware that eventually SSD+HDD combo benefits more but after reading reviews about SSHD online I think that it's more cost efficient (extremely ignorant in this area, please enlighten me if you do know anything important thanks!)

Please advise on the RAM & casing if possible!
Thank you so much!
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,730
Reaction score
1,554
What is the budget that you are looking at and comfortable with?

Actually if you really wanna know more about pricing, it is best for you to head down to SLS and take a look at all the shops if they have any walk in promo.

Apart from that, what is it that you want in the PC?

What is it use for?
 

icefirey

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Budget is 1k, mainly for gaming with the focus on smooth gameplay/stable fps rather than horrendously good graphics, while as much as possible have the room to be upgraded in the future.

My current thoughts are that i3 with hyperthreading wouldn't lose out much to an i5 core, so I am thinking of an i3 for the cheaper price.
R9 270 seems be able to last for a long time without the need to upgrade.
SSHD and PSU as said.
No preferences on the motherboard (not knowledgeable enough on this to decide on a sufficiently good motherboard for myself).
Will be using my old keyboard/mouse/monitor etc. (should I change the title to something else instead?)

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top