Advice on rig upgrade

herzog21

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
1,266
Reaction score
6
Hello all, thanks for your helpful advice/suggestions.

what I do will be to let a fellow forummer properly diagnose the problem first.

Then I will go about getting the best value for upgrading my rig which will include the possibility of a RAID card.
 

herzog21

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
1,266
Reaction score
6
Just got my rig back. Apparently the BIOS settings were corrupt and CMOS battery is faulty. Still I am pressing ahead with an upgrade. Would appreciate yr input.

Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 -$192
3TB Western Digital Red x2 (for RAID 1) - $160x2
Samsung Evo 250GB ssd (alr bought) - $152
Power Color R9 270X 2GB PCS+ - $299


Optional add on: GSkill Ares DDR3-2133 4BGx2 (blue)

Oh yes. I will be storing all my movies/torrents in the WD Red so the drives won't exactly be idle. So....will the brand still be a good idea to get?

Comments welcome.
 
Last edited:

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
Just got my rig back. Apparently the BIOS settings were corrupt and CMOS battery is faulty. Still I am pressing ahead with an upgrade. Would appreciate yr input.

Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 -$192
3TB Western Digital Red x2 (for RAID 1) - $160x2
Samsung Evo 250GB ssd (alr bought) - $152
Power Color R9 270X 2GB PCS+ - $299


Optional add on: GSkill Ares DDR3-2133 4BGx2 (blue)

Oh yes. I will be storing all my movies/torrents in the WD Red so the drives won't exactly be idle. So....will the brand still be a good idea to get?

Comments welcome.

1) Are you planning to OC the processor? If you are not doing OC, you do not need DDR3-2133 RAM as the speed differences between DDR3-2133 and DDR3-1600 are measured in milliseconds.

2) If running RAID, the WD Reds will be ideal for a raid setup as they have been designed for use in a NAS.

3) Not going to get a R9 280? Prices of the R9 280 have fallen due to the introduction of the R9 285 and they are currently being sold at prices that may be cheaper than the R9 270X. Get one now while stocks last.
 

herzog21

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
1,266
Reaction score
6
1) Are you planning to OC the processor? If you are not doing OC, you do not need DDR3-2133 RAM as the speed differences between DDR3-2133 and DDR3-1600 are measured in milliseconds.

2) If running RAID, the WD Reds will be ideal for a raid setup as they have been designed for use in a NAS.

3) Not going to get a R9 280? Prices of the R9 280 have fallen due to the introduction of the R9 285 and they are currently being sold at prices that may be cheaper than the R9 270X. Get one now while stocks last.

Could you point me to some review of R9 280 and its brands? I tried googling and apparently I got more results of the 280X than the former.
I saw the price lists just now and prices never seem to drop. Still hovering at the $320 range and above.
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
Could you point me to some review of R9 280 and its brands? I tried googling and apparently I got more results of the 280X than the former.
I saw the price lists just now and prices never seem to drop. Still hovering at the $320 range and above.

Try reading reviews of the R9 285. Both the R9 285 and the R9 280 are being compared side by side with other cards.

Somebody here brought a R9 280 yesterday and commented that prices of the R9 280 have dropped.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top