hairymonster
Senior Member
- Joined
- Jun 16, 2013
- Messages
- 1,308
- Reaction score
- 61
Hello!
I hope to get some feedback regarding the usage of algebra during PSLE.
Noting that MOE has now allowed the usage of the scientific calculator for Paper 2, I decided to start teaching algebra to my Primary 6 students two years ago as I found the method to be more efficient. Moreover, with the aid of a scientific calculator, it would greatly facilitate the application of algebra to solve trial and error questions, through the simultaneous equation. This also allows students to have more time to check through their paper.
In my opinion, the hurdles of algebra is the concept of negative numbers and algebraic manipulation. If one were to dive directly into the formulation of equations and problem-solving, many Primary 6 students would find it challenging to understand these concepts. This was especially true for me as I faced the same problems when I was younger. In addition, using the algebra method as an alternative to the model solving method has been discouraged by many as primary school students are not equipped with the fundamentals of algebra.
Recently, Mind Stretchers advertised on Class 95, their workshop on helping secondary school students face the challenges they had in understanding algebra. This got me thinking... since the fundamentals of algebra is introduced during the lower secondary level, why not start a little earlier - during primary school!
When I started teaching PSLE mathematics to my tutee two years ago, I sought permission from his parents before embarking on the algebra curriculum. Knowing that trial and error questions posed a major challenge to most P6 students, I was confident that algebra was the way to go.
The journey on helping my tutee with algebra was not smooth sailing. I remembered his first CA, his grades dropped and I was shocked. His parents immediately questioned my methods and expressed their concern - including whether I should stop using the algebra method. I reviewed his CA paper and found that the main reason for the drop in grades was due to careless mistakes. I held my faith in him as I knew he understood the fundamentals of algebra and he was definitely capable of better results. I reassured his parents and held my stand as I was confident of his progress.
By the time May came, my tutee was able to apply the algebra method to challenging questions without problems. Of course I was delighted!
I strongly feel that algebra can be used as an alternative and less time-consuming approach compared to the conventional model-solving approach, as long as the fundamentals are taught in a way primary school students can comprehend. This would also serve as a head-start to strong fundamentals in algebra and secondary school-level mathematics. In my next post I will share more about my teaching methods and I hope you guys can comment on my teaching.
I hope to get some feedback regarding the usage of algebra during PSLE.
Noting that MOE has now allowed the usage of the scientific calculator for Paper 2, I decided to start teaching algebra to my Primary 6 students two years ago as I found the method to be more efficient. Moreover, with the aid of a scientific calculator, it would greatly facilitate the application of algebra to solve trial and error questions, through the simultaneous equation. This also allows students to have more time to check through their paper.
In my opinion, the hurdles of algebra is the concept of negative numbers and algebraic manipulation. If one were to dive directly into the formulation of equations and problem-solving, many Primary 6 students would find it challenging to understand these concepts. This was especially true for me as I faced the same problems when I was younger. In addition, using the algebra method as an alternative to the model solving method has been discouraged by many as primary school students are not equipped with the fundamentals of algebra.
Recently, Mind Stretchers advertised on Class 95, their workshop on helping secondary school students face the challenges they had in understanding algebra. This got me thinking... since the fundamentals of algebra is introduced during the lower secondary level, why not start a little earlier - during primary school!
When I started teaching PSLE mathematics to my tutee two years ago, I sought permission from his parents before embarking on the algebra curriculum. Knowing that trial and error questions posed a major challenge to most P6 students, I was confident that algebra was the way to go.
The journey on helping my tutee with algebra was not smooth sailing. I remembered his first CA, his grades dropped and I was shocked. His parents immediately questioned my methods and expressed their concern - including whether I should stop using the algebra method. I reviewed his CA paper and found that the main reason for the drop in grades was due to careless mistakes. I held my faith in him as I knew he understood the fundamentals of algebra and he was definitely capable of better results. I reassured his parents and held my stand as I was confident of his progress.
By the time May came, my tutee was able to apply the algebra method to challenging questions without problems. Of course I was delighted!
I strongly feel that algebra can be used as an alternative and less time-consuming approach compared to the conventional model-solving approach, as long as the fundamentals are taught in a way primary school students can comprehend. This would also serve as a head-start to strong fundamentals in algebra and secondary school-level mathematics. In my next post I will share more about my teaching methods and I hope you guys can comment on my teaching.
