Back from Ishigaki (Okinawa)

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
Just came back this morning on SQ. Damn lousy CAAS service, the whole plane of passengers waited 1hr plus at the belt for their luggages.

This is quite a short trip. Spent 2 days at Ishigaki, 2 days at Iriomote and 1 day at Taketomi. Also had a shopping day at Tokyo at the end. Quite a bit of time spent in transit unavoidably.

Ishigaki, Iriomote and Taketomi belongs to the most southern chain of islands - the Yaeyama Islands in Okinawa. In fact. Ishigaki is closer to Taiwan than Naha (Okinawa's capital) itself.

d8488cfad3f911e2996322000a9f1313_7.jpg


Will update more images later.

PS. Just a note, the Bmobile reception in the 3 islands are pretty weak. It was quite frustrating using instagram.
 

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
17,525
Reaction score
24
nice! :)
how do u get to these islands? domestic flight from Naha? how much is are the flights?
 

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
nice! :)
how do u get to these islands? domestic flight from Naha? how much is are the flights?

Flight was SQ to Tokyo Haneda. Reached at 6am in the morning. Then I went over to Domestic Terminal 2 to wait for my flight to Ishigaki at 12pm. These are direct flights to the New Ishigaki Airport which takes about 3 hours. I bought the ANA promotional domestic flights for overseas visitors which are 10,000 yen each flight. So definitely I have to fly direct to Ishigaki or else I will need to pay for the extra stopover at Naha.

Taking the domestic flight in Japan is a relatively painless experience as anyone who has done it before can tell you. I checked in 1 hr before coming back from Ishigaki and I even had a baggage to check in. You only need to get into the departure area 15 mins before boarding. Giving yourself another 10 mins for the security scans and I even had time to enjoy my Ishigaki Gelato before going into the waiting lounge.
 

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
While waiting at Haneda Domestic Terminal 2 on day 1

IMG_20130612_065906.JPG


Having brunch waiting for my Ishigaki flight. Noticed Tokyo is raining. It was quite cold (abt 20 degrees) that morning.

IMG_20130612_083459.jpg


I must say Haneda Domestic Terminal 2 is quite nice with plenty of shopping and stuff to sit around.

IMG_20130612_091814.jpg


My flight to Ishigaki. Notice the old livery on the ANA plane? THis must be an ancient 767.

IMG_20130612_114910.jpg


Here is the view outside my Hotel Room. Hotel Patina. It is not bad and it is near to everything. But I think the newer hotel nearby Hotel East China Sea might be worth considering as it has higher floors and better location.

IMG_20130612_161829.jpg
 

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
The day I landed was still within the rainy season (Tsuyu) in Japan. So there the sky was very cloudy. This is a pic of the harbor area when I first arrived.

IMG_20130612_173928.jpg


A cute dog I saw near the harbour area.

IMG_20130612_182924.jpg


I had the best Ishigaki beef for dinner. Kobe beef are reared from Ishigaki calves.

IMG_20130612_201920.jpg


Rented a car to drive around as Ishigaki is 1/3 size of Singapore. Here is a nice view from a viewpoint.

IMG_20130613_112931.jpg


IMG_20130613_112918.jpg
 
Last edited:

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
The place is simply beautiful. These are pictures taken at the north end of the island, you can see where the coral reef ends and the sea begins.

IMG_20130613_121810.jpg


The beautiful white lighthouse at the northmost point.

IMG_20130613_121334.jpg


IMG_20130613_122342.jpg


Many islands in the Yaeyama group has many similar geographic features like Singapore. They also have lost of mangrove areas.

IMG_20130613_130802.jpg


Here is a nice lizard I saw at a mangrove nature reserve.

IMG_20130613_133205.JPG
 
Last edited:

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
View of the sea from one of the beaches

PANO_20130613_150835.jpg


And this is Kabira Bay, where you can take rides out on glass bottom boats.

IMG_20130613_153542.jpg


IMG_20130613_153757.jpg


Here is another lighthouse on the island - Uganzaki is at the western end of the island.

IMG_20130613_160811.jpg


View from the lighthouse.

PANO_20130613_161810.jpg
 

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
This is probably not going to sell well in Singapore.

IMG_20130613_162621.jpg


Drove up to the highest spot on the island to see the whole Ishigaki Town.

IMG_20130613_170425.jpg


PANO_20130613_170520.jpg


There are plenty of beaches in Ishigaki. Some of them are truly deserted like this one.

IMG_20130613_181403.jpg


PANO_20130613_181520.jpg
 

cheefarn

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
709
Reaction score
0
Great pics bro. Japan is pretty from South all the way to the extreme north of Hokkaido :)

Hey bro, where are the bikini babes? They have beaches but no bikini SYTs? I find it hard to believe wor:s13:
 

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
Great pics bro. Japan is pretty from South all the way to the extreme north of Hokkaido :)

Hey bro, where are the bikini babes? They have beaches but no bikini SYTs? I find it hard to believe wor:s13:

Summer vacation months for Japanese are July & August. I was too early. There were a few families about but I didn't bother.
 

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
There were plenty of corals on the beaches.

IMG_20130613_182026.jpg


The weather on the first few days weren't good. And I encountered plenty of passing showers, but noting too major.

IMG_20130613_184753.jpg


There are a few typical Okinawan dishes. Like Debichi and Goya here.

IMG_20130613_214200.jpg


IMG_20130613_214618.jpg


And the most famous Okinawan product.

IMG_20130613_215830.jpg
 

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
They even have awamori jelly!

IMG_20130614_002406.jpg


Since they share the same climate as Taiwan, they also have a great supply of local fruits.

IMG_20130614_091723.jpg


As they have lots of cow, gelato is also a big favourite dessert there. This one is in salt flavour.

IMG_20130614_093429.jpg


I went to Iriomote after Ishigaki. Iriomote is slightly bigger than Ishigaki but it has only 5% of Ishigaki's population and no airport. The only way to reach it is by ferry.

There is a star sand beach in Iriomote. Star sands are actually tiny organisms that lived among the seaweeds.

IMG_20130614_114410.jpg


IMG_20130614_115105.jpg
 

kinggerard

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2009
Messages
251
Reaction score
1
Hi Kifo,

I am planning to go Ishigaki in early Oct for Manta scramble diving. May i Know which car rental did you use and how did you reserve the car? What abt the hotel? Did you use Google Translate (translation to Jap) for your emails, if you emailed them?

I have email-ed Hotel Cucule / ABC car rental in english but I haven't got any response so far.

How easy is it to drive around in Ishigaki and locating / driving to your Places of Interest? Parking wise?

Thanks.
 

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
Hi Kifo,

I am planning to go Ishigaki in early Oct for Manta scramble diving. May i Know which car rental did you use and how did you reserve the car? What abt the hotel? Did you use Google Translate (translation to Jap) for your emails, if you emailed them?

I have email-ed Hotel Cucule / ABC car rental in english but I haven't got any response so far.

How easy is it to drive around in Ishigaki and locating / driving to your Places of Interest? Parking wise?

Thanks.

Yup Ishigaki is a good place to see Manta Rays. Too bad I don't dive.

I stayed at Hotel Patina. I reserved through Rakuten. As I know a bit of Japanese, I was using the Japanese website. But Rakuten has an English website too so it might be easier for you. I also rented my car thru Rakuten but I was using the Japanese website. I noticed that the English version limits you to only one rental company. The company I rented from was Orix.

Another option is to rent the car directly from the Hotel. I know Hotel Patina has it. It is not necessary cheaper but at least it might be easier for you.

Do you know some Japanese? Perhaps you might want to rent from Toyota, Nissan or Nippon Car Rentals as they have better English support. It will be easier for them and for you when you collecting and returning the car.

There are not many roads on Ishigaki so driving was pretty straightforward. But the max speed on the island is only 40-50km/h. Please observe this speed limit especially near towns and schools. You do not want to get on the wrong side of the law on your holiday.

There are plenty of free parking at most sight-seeing areas and beaches, but some need to pay anywhere from 300-500 yen. In the town centre, I parked at my hotel and walk. But I also saw metered car parks near the markets and shopping area.
 

Auggie

Master Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
3,744
Reaction score
1
Just came back this morning on SQ. Damn lousy CAAS service, the whole plane of passengers waited 1hr plus at the belt for their luggages.

This is quite a short trip. Spent 2 days at Ishigaki, 2 days at Iriomote and 1 day at Taketomi. Also had a shopping day at Tokyo at the end. Quite a bit of time spent in transit unavoidably.

Ishigaki, Iriomote and Taketomi belongs to the most southern chain of islands - the Yaeyama Islands in Okinawa. In fact. Ishigaki is closer to Taiwan than Naha (Okinawa's capital) itself.

d8488cfad3f911e2996322000a9f1313_7.jpg


Will update more images later.

PS. Just a note, the Bmobile reception in the 3 islands are pretty weak. It was quite frustrating using instagram.
nice pics Kifo!

Did u take a direct flight from SG to Ishigaki? How much did it cost ya?

Seems Ishigaki is not dat ulu after all.

Planning to visit the islands along the way someday startin from Ishigaki all the way till mainland Japan.
 

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
Hi Auggie,

There is no direct flight from Singapore to Ishigaki. Like described in my photos. I flew to Haneda and then took a domestic flight to Ishigaki.

If you are considering a south to north approach, the only suggestion I have for you is to fly to Taiwan, and then take a international flight from Hualian or Taizhong to Ishigaki. As far as I know, this flight is limited to the summer months and there are about 2 flights per week. You will need to do more research about this. And this will probably be the more expensive way to do it as there are no promotional discounts from JAL/ANA for domestic flights here.
 

kifo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
801
First meal in Iriomote was in this tiny restaurant off the main road. Had to rent a car for a few hours just to get around as I was staying at this minshuku that was quite far away from the port.

IMG_20130614_121711.jpg


I had this weird looking squid ink soba which wasn't all that bad.

IMG_20130614_122423.jpg


Went swimming at one of the beaches for the afternoon. The wave is quite strong here.

IMG_20130614_133856.jpg


PANO_20130614_134050.jpg


Dinner at the minshuku was great. The chef is really good.

IMG_20130614_183806.jpg
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top