Back to coding after 15 years

CeSaRiO

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've recently gone back into coding after I started my course with Google Cloud Platform. Prior to my current situation, i used to study ASP.NET and Java during my poly days from 2004-2007. Back then, VB was the in-thing and I was using Microsoft VB to do my ASP.NET coding.

I'm trying to create a simple website where i can get the user to key in data and then display on another page. I was trying WIX and then signed up for Google Domain as well but I'm still kinda lost. Eventually, I'll like to bind the database to Google Cloud.

At this juncture where there are so much information on the net, I kinda "dont know what i dont know" and hence, seeking the experts here to provide me with some insights.

Thanks in advance.

frozened

Reaction score
hmmm, for a start some questions will have to be asked to get to know where your coding level is currently.

If you know HTML/CSS, Basic Javascript (arrays, conditional statement, for loops, functions). You are still okay there's some room to catch up.

Right now, we simplify into 3 sections. (FrontEnd, BackEnd, Database)

About Databases.
Since you asked about binding a database. By Google Cloud i presume you will be using Firebase to store your data.Firebase is a NoSQL database, and it is relatively easy to use.

However, if you intend to use a SQL database, then you will need to host it either on Docker as a container or deploy it to Heroku. This will need slightly more skill as you will need to use NodeJS/Python/Golang/etc to create a API server to communicate with your Frontend.

FrontEnd
Currently frontend frameworks are largely Javascript based with HTML/CSS. You have ReactJS which is vastly popular, Angular/VueJS/GatsbyJS/ and many more.

BackEnd
Basically what backend does is build the RESTful API so that the FrontEnd is able to call the CRUD operations (Create,Read,Update,Delete) translated as GET,POST,PUT,PATCH,DELETE.

So to combine the Frontend,Backend,Database. Its called a technology stack, a modern stack which is common right now MERN, MEAN, LAMP.

Abbreviations :-
M - MongoDB
E - Express
R - ReactJS
A - Angular
N - NodeJS
L - Linux
A - Apache
M - MySQL
P - Php/Perl/Python

Of course there is other frameworks, Python Django is able to build an end-to-end web site too.

CeSaRiO

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks bro! Tons of things to catch up as well. Previously i used to rely on VB GUI to handle my HTML and CSS, so on that factor im relatively weak. Javascript shouldn't be an issue.

I've dealed with MySQL before. But I'll read on Firebase to have a better idea. Seems like Python is the easier way to link these together.

frozened

Reaction score
In terms of ease, you can actually just explore python django. It’s an all-in-one web framework.

There is even an admin GUI

Fizzical

Reaction score
hmmm, for a start some questions will have to be asked to get to know where your coding level is currently.

If you know HTML/CSS, Basic Javascript (arrays, conditional statement, for loops, functions). You are still okay there's some room to catch up.

About Databases.
Since you asked about binding a database. By Google Cloud i presume you will be using Firebase to store your data.Firebase is a NoSQL database, and it is relatively easy to use.

However, if you intend to use a SQL database, then you will need to host it either on Docker as a container or deploy it to Heroku. This will need slightly more skill as you will need to use NodeJS/Python/Golang/etc to create a API server to communicate with your Frontend.

FrontEnd
Currently frontend frameworks are largely Javascript based with HTML/CSS. You have ReactJS which is vastly popular, Angular/VueJS/GatsbyJS/ and many more.

BackEnd
Basically what backend does is build the RESTful API so that the FrontEnd is able to call the CRUD operations (Create,Read,Update,Delete) translated as GET,POST,PUT,PATCH,DELETE.

So to combine the Frontend,Backend,Database. Its called a technology stack, a modern stack which is common right now MERN, MEAN, LAMP.

M - MongoDB
E - Express
R - ReactJS
A - Angular
N - NodeJS
L - Linux
A - Apache
M - MySQL
P - Php/Perl/Python

Of course there is other frameworks, Python Django is able to build an end-to-end web site too.

Wah I like your explanation. Where do you learn your skills from?

jackoats.sg

Reaction score
You can try everything JavaScript - Next.js with React.js

or Backend Java (Spring Boot) with front end React / Vue / Angular

I've been learning some of these tech on and off for the past 1 year. Progress has been really slow I must say. Angular is harder to learn than React, because it is very opinionated. Heard so much about Vue, but have not really tried it.

Thanks bro! Tons of things to catch up as well. Previously i used to rely on VB GUI to handle my HTML and CSS, so on that factor im relatively weak. Javascript shouldn't be an issue.

I've dealed with MySQL before. But I'll read on Firebase to have a better idea. Seems like Python is the easier way to link these together.

CeSaRiO

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In terms of ease, you can actually just explore python django. It’s an all-in-one web framework.

There is even an admin GUI

Wah I like your explanation. Where do you learn your skills from?

You can try everything JavaScript - Next.js with React.js

or Backend Java (Spring Boot) with front end React / Vue / Angular

I've been learning some of these tech on and off for the past 1 year. Progress has been really slow I must say. Angular is harder to learn than React, because it is very opinionated. Heard so much about Vue, but have not really tried it.

Haha thanks guys!

Damn, i felt i was trying to run when i can barely even walk! :s13:

Spirals-0

Suspended
Reaction score

About Databases.

FrontEnd

BackEnd

M - MongoDB
E - Express
R - ReactJS
A - Angular
N - NodeJS
L - Linux
A - Apache
M - MySQL
P - Php/Perl/Python

Thank you so much for this!

moolala

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've recently gone back into coding after I started my course with Google Cloud Platform. Prior to my current situation, i used to study ASP.NET and Java during my poly days from 2004-2007. Back then, VB was the in-thing and I was using Microsoft VB to do my ASP.NET coding.

I'm trying to create a simple website where i can get the user to key in data and then display on another page. I was trying WIX and then signed up for Google Domain as well but I'm still kinda lost. Eventually, I'll like to bind the database to Google Cloud.

At this juncture where there are so much information on the net, I kinda "dont know what i dont know" and hence, seeking the experts here to provide me with some insights.

Thanks in advance.
anyone where to get those exercise/practice questions?

i found those very helpful in my mastery

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.