Brother or HP colour laser printer?

iCubes

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,771
Reaction score
1,339
I'm using brother laser printer at home. Got a laser because i hear ink jets drying up and becoming a problem. I print very rarely, maybe 3-4 pages every 2-3 months and so far its been working well. I doubt i will ever need to replace the toner with the amount of printing i do.
 

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
28,161
Reaction score
3,129
Am looking to buy a colour laser printer (just printer no need scan/copy) for home use. Have read online and seems most recommend HP or Brother.

Based on my budget these 2 are the likely contenders:
Brother HL-L3270CDW about $361
HP 150nw Printer $379

Both have auto duplex printing but Brother is a bit faster. However I notice the HP toners are about $20 cheaper than Brother. Obviously this will make a difference in the long run pricewise since there are 4 different toner colours to replace.

Having said that I see Brother colour toners are rated at 1300 pages vs 700 for HP colour toner so technically Brother toner is cheaper 🤣

Are Brother toner cartridges easy to find in any IT shop compared to HP?

Is there anything else that I should know about HP vs Brother which could influence my choice? In terms of product reliability and tech support perhaps?

I am a mac user but I assume no issues with drivers and compatibility?

Have used only canon inkjets prior to this so totally new to laser šŸ˜…

Most shops selling such supplies will carry toners/inks by all the brands -- after all, there are only a few key brands in this industry now.

As for compatibility, as long as they publish a Mac driver, then you're relatively safe.

Curious, why only these two models?
Other options more ex?
But among the two, the Brother HL-3270CDW looks and sounds like a better option. (Related reading option, though it's an advertorial, for other Brother models launched in the same timeline.)

But most printer brands are focusing more on their ink tank options to push for cost efficiency, so you won't really find a lot of new printer options focusing on Laser. Even in our last roundup of sub $400 and sub $700 units, the participating brands only recommended their ink tank options for us to test.
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,877
Reaction score
30,451
This year I had to get warranty replacement for my relatively new HP laser printer...

And I swore never to buy another HP

Fuji Xerox used to be my go-to but now that they're gone, looks like Brother is the only choice left.
 

NightRaven49

Master Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
3,742
Reaction score
1,580

other hp products like laptops i think still ok, but printers are a hard pass unless u want to be screwed over.
 

googoogaga

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2009
Messages
1,485
Reaction score
601
I went for brother laser printer MFC l3770 cdw. I don't print very often, so didn't go for the ink tank types. The sales man kept pushing for ink tank or ink jet for my use. But I had already made up my mind for brother laser and was only there to see it in person before buying online.
 

blackie83

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2001
Messages
11,313
Reaction score
743
Brother printer very lasting one. just get laser.
Toner you can buy 3rd party compatible one at sls.
 

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2002
Messages
60,202
Reaction score
3,609
Heng manage to grab 1 last pc of brother 3270 color laser... The next model will come soon from brother but dun know will they t play tricks to disable 3rd party toner or not..
 

Jurchen King

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
7,229
Reaction score
2,797
OIP.cKM96rcJmnKK6pX-C002IAHaFE
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I will steer clear from most HP products. I already boycott their laptop, mainly the lower end series, such as the Pavilion. Used to own 2 of them and they keep giving me problems, and I have to send it back to the service center a few times each year.

My HP laser jet also kicked the bucket recently after about 1.5 years or so. Keep getting printing error be it wireless or wired connection. So better think twice before buying any HP product. :rolleyes:
 

Fronsac

Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2006
Messages
449
Reaction score
117
Laser Colour wise, I prefer Fujifilm then Canon. Laser Black and white, Brothers wins hands down.
Epson is the best for inkjet but their head keep jamming so frequently that unless you use it often, it is a major headache, canon seems to be more resistant against that. Brothers inkjet is kind of meh. HP is a no no for anything. Their standard had drop drastically since like 10+ years ago where the standard corporate laser is all HP.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top