Budget Gaming Laptop

jamescy

Banned
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
300
Reaction score
0
Hi bros,

I'm looking to get a laptop mainly for Dota2, video streaming & work purposes.
Getting a laptop instead of a desktop due to the need to travel around for work.

Budget is ~1k as I believe I do not need a super high performance machine.

Any recommendations or is my budget unrealistic?

Please advise as I'm not very well versed in laptop specs. =/
 

FlyingNuggets

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2014
Messages
628
Reaction score
0
Hi bros,

I'm looking to get a laptop mainly for Dota2, video streaming & work purposes.
Getting a laptop instead of a desktop due to the need to travel around for work.

Budget is ~1k as I believe I do not need a super high performance machine.

Any recommendations or is my budget unrealistic?

Please advise as I'm not very well versed in laptop specs. =/

Its possible around that range but cant play dota 2 at good settings too.. Try Hp, Dell , Acer
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
To be honest, base on my observation, gaming laptops at this price range are very basic. You can still get one with a dedicated graphic solution, but will be low end with something like GT 740M. Nonetheless, it should still allow you to play games like DOTA on medium setting if I am not wrong. My take is to get one that is no smaller than 14 inch, so that you can bring it around for work and still get a reasonable screen size for gaming and work. ;)
 

jamescy

Banned
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
300
Reaction score
0
Hmmm, ok.. seems like my budget is a little unrealistic.

What kinda budget should I be looking at? Preferably with a laptop recommendation.

Thinking of heading to Comex to have a look. =)

Thanks bros!!
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Hmmm, ok.. seems like my budget is a little unrealistic.

What kinda budget should I be looking at? Preferably with a laptop recommendation.

Thinking of heading to Comex to have a look. =)

Thanks bros!!

I won't say its unrealistic bro. Personally I think it is really boils down to your needs. We only help by raising the awareness, then you can decide from there.

I will be a great idea to pop by the IT show to check it out. ;)
 

acquiesce

Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2008
Messages
161
Reaction score
0
I used to play Dota 2 on an Asus S200E..no issues..no lag. However, when I shifted to an Aftershock unit...of course cannot compare. Hehe! My 2 cents is, depends on whether you have a hard budget to stick to and you're willing to compromise quality.
 

chiaRH

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2012
Messages
1,975
Reaction score
0
Hmmm, ok.. seems like my budget is a little unrealistic.

What kinda budget should I be looking at? Preferably with a laptop recommendation.

Thinking of heading to Comex to have a look. =)

Thanks bros!!

I think how realistic it is depends on how confident you are that the most demanding use case of your laptop can still be handled by the machine, for now and for the forseeable future. Usually i would feel that if you think it is possible that 1-2 years down the road you might be getting a game more demanding than Dota, etc. settling for a machine that barely hits your current requirements might translate to a regretful choice in future.

My personal experience, I bought my Aftershock X15 in SITEX 2012 time, and settled for the lowest GPU it offered cos i knew i wasnt going to be getting any super demanding game titles for the next 2-3 years, with the exception of watch dogs, plus at that time i was still schooling so budget was more limited. Now that im working i unlocked a bit higher spending power and can get something more future proof in due time if and when i want to.

Out of curiosity what kind of video streaming you plan to do? Depending on what you stream, the demand of that task could be higher than playing Dota...
 

denilson

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2004
Messages
623
Reaction score
4
Hi bros,

I'm looking to get a laptop mainly for Dota2, video streaming & work purposes.
Getting a laptop instead of a desktop due to the need to travel around for work.

Budget is ~1k as I believe I do not need a super high performance machine.

Any recommendations or is my budget unrealistic?

Please advise as I'm not very well versed in laptop specs. =/

ACER 15.6IN INTEL CORE I5-4200U 4GBWIN 8.1 TOUCH V5-573PG-54204G50AMM Notebooks - Courts Online Shopping

this has the nvidia 750m with 4gb of ram :). You can upgrade the laptop ram to 8gb

Super smooth on the laptop's native res
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top