Budget rig questions

sgAshton

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
994
Reaction score
11
I'm working with a budget of 500 ish. Have a pre existing ssd already. So I just need the other essentials - cpu, mobo, gfx, ram, psu and chassis. Solely for playing dota 2 and other mid tier games

1. How much of a performance boost would there be if one were to choose the g3258 (mildly overclocked) over the g3240?

2. Since I'm not playing any high end games, would the palit 660 oc suffice given how cheap it is now? Although it's 2 generations old.

Thanks a lot!
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
I'm working with a budget of 500 ish. Have a pre existing ssd already. So I just need the other essentials - cpu, mobo, gfx, ram, psu and chassis. Solely for playing dota 2 and other mid tier games

1. How much of a performance boost would there be if one were to choose the g3258 (mildly overclocked) over the g3240?

2. Since I'm not playing any high end games, would the palit 660 oc suffice given how cheap it is now? Although it's 2 generations old.

Thanks a lot!
1) There should be quite a boost but CPU performance will still lose out to an i3 though.

2) Yes, the GTX 660 should be just fine for your needs depending on what games you play.

3) What other mid tier games do you intend to play?
 

sgAshton

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
994
Reaction score
11
1) There should be quite a boost but CPU performance will still lose out to an i3 though.

2) Yes, the GTX 660 should be just fine for your needs depending on what games you play.

3) What other mid tier games do you intend to play?

Maybe some pros that have played with the g3258 can enlighten me on whether it's worth to pay the extra few bucks for this chip?

I've no games in mind right now, but I've no intention of playing any triple a games at all. Maybe cs:go, dota 2... etc.

Thanks a lot :)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top