Cunard Queen Mary 2

pai000000

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
366
Reaction score
66
Hello

My parents are thinking of booking a cruise on the Queen Mary 2, round trip to Hong Kong and back, and they are asking me if I want to join them.

I am a newbie to cruises. The one and only time I went was back in primary school. Hope some cruise veterans here can tell me what to expect.

The Cunard line seems to be rather strict in their dress code. Do they enforce it strictly? The website mention that some areas are open to people who dress casually. Are these areas extensive? Hope I will not be restricted to a small area if I don't dress up.

In general, How is Cunard compared to princess or Royal Caribbean?
 
Last edited:

fxsg123

Master Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2008
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
688
Hello

My parents are thinking of booking a cruise on the Queen Mary 2, round trip to Hong Kong and back, and they are asking me if I want to join them.

I am a newbie to cruises. The one and only time I went was back in primary school. Hope some cruise veterans here can tell me what to expect.

The Cunard line seems to be rather strict in their dress code. Do they enforce it strictly? The website mention that some areas are open to people who dress casually. Are these areas extensive? Hope I will not be restricted to a small area if I don't dress up.

In general, How is Cunard compared to princess or Royal Caribbean?

if you have the opportunity and budget, go for it.
I never been on QM2 before so i cant advice on the dress code.

However, it cannot be compare with RC or PC.
On local context, RC and PC offer mostly short gateway (5N and below excluding relocation) at relatively offerable price.

while QM2's real ocean liners, the price even for interior room can fly to Europe and back twice
 

rodimus_prime

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
5,417
Reaction score
2,573
If you do go for it, just dress up. The experience of fine dining throughout the voyage is not something u get to experience on SC or PC. It's what u pay for anyway. If don't want to dress up, might as well stick with the usual ones.
 

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
22,625
Reaction score
900
Hello

My parents are thinking of booking a cruise on the Queen Mary 2, round trip to Hong Kong and back, and they are asking me if I want to join them.

I am a newbie to cruises. The one and only time I went was back in primary school. Hope some cruise veterans here can tell me what to expect.

The Cunard line seems to be rather strict in their dress code. Do they enforce it strictly? The website mention that some areas are open to people who dress casually. Are these areas extensive? Hope I will not be restricted to a small area if I don't dress up.

In general, How is Cunard compared to princess or Royal Caribbean?

Cunard is a luxury tier cruise line so i'll expect they enforce dress code more strictly than casual/premium cruise lines.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

I strongly recommend you bring along formal wear if you want to cruise on Cunard. After all its the modern day White Star Line successor :s22:

Note that different cruise lines have different target market segment. Cunard is targeting retirees so their activities onboard will be more passive than active. If you like active sports like rock climbing, flowrider etc you will find it a little boring onboard.
 
Last edited:

qhong61

Banned
Joined
Nov 3, 2015
Messages
72,481
Reaction score
12,058
Cunard is a luxury tier cruise line so i'll expect they enforce dress code more strictly than casual/premium cruise lines.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

I strongly recommend you bring along formal wear if you want to cruise on Cunard. After all its the modern day White Star Line successor :s22:

Note that different cruise lines have different target market segment. Cunard is targeting retirees so their activities onboard will be more passive than active. If you like active sports like rock climbing, flowrider etc you will find it a little boring onboard.
how much for inner room/
 

pai000000

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
366
Reaction score
66
Thanks for all the information.
Though I am usually not a fan of dress code, will try it out as one in a lifetime kind of experience. Hopefully no need to dress until like the Titanic passengers!

Price is actually not that bad. I chose the cheapest interior cabin, 5300+ SGD for 2 people for 13 night cruise. Includes 100 USD on board spending money.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top