Decoupling for passive income advice

mummy1234

Banned
Joined
Jan 30, 2014
Messages
17,103
Reaction score
31
My neighbors are helping us to buy milk at JB almost every week. Helped us to save a lot of milk powder.

I am paying > 30k per year on insurance premium yearly. V siong, but this has helped to build an accumulated cash value of 160k to-date. This can be 1 of my very last-option of emergency funds.

On top of this, I am topping up parent CPF MSS 7k and my SRS.

Just based on mental sum, I am spending
> 50k on these 3 components.

You must be a high earner too then. I only spend S$500plus a month on insurance premiums excluding MediShield and DPS.

I Guess you can consider most of your S$50k expenditure as investments though.
 

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2001
Messages
19,587
Reaction score
1,218
Yap, treating these liabilities as forced saving to prepare for better years in the tail end of life.

As I aged, stock profile is having more blue chips & reits rather than penny stocks in my younger days.
 

orange_sky

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2016
Messages
1,233
Reaction score
0
Not really positive cash flow as HDB is small sized while private is much bigger. Need a big space for my huge family. Has a few kids.

Still paying high cost for their milk powder & enrichment class. Another killer is the premium payment for kids insurance.

Really not easy in Singapore.
Try to reduce the insurance. I bought life for my first but didn't for the rest. Found to be redundant. Just buy H&S

Sent from lala using GAGT
 

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2001
Messages
19,587
Reaction score
1,218
My higher premium policies are all limited payment, range from 5 to 15 years. By end of next year, my total yearly insurance commitment will reduce by 10k.

May start a DIY saving plan for my younger kids without any WL when there is a dip on STI. Plan to do it via STI ETF.
 

Earnasyougrow

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2016
Messages
700
Reaction score
247
Wow, I used to buy JB milk powder and do not have enrichment or insurance other than basic MediShield and 2 endowments for my kids.

Hi Mummy,

As a doctor,do u feel we should get integrated health plan? Any reason why u did not get one instead and just rely on basic medishield? I am asking as I am wondering if I should get Ntuc B1 incomeshield for my mom and bro.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
Most people relocate to jb Coz they can afford to work from home. This is applicable to my neighbors in HH, quite a few already moved in, majority Singaporeans, some Malaysian Chinese and one PRC but holding Singapore PR.

HH has become United Nations. :)
 

mummy1234

Banned
Joined
Jan 30, 2014
Messages
17,103
Reaction score
31
Hi Mummy,

As a doctor,do u feel we should get integrated health plan? Any reason why u did not get one instead and just rely on basic medishield? I am asking as I am wondering if I should get Ntuc B1 incomeshield for my mom and bro.

I think it is good to get it if you can afford it as you can then choose your desired specialist to treat you. I have some medical issues and prob will not qualify now.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
I think it is good to get it if you can afford it as you can then choose your desired specialist to treat you. I have some medical issues and prob will not qualify now.

I think medishield life still qualify you even if you have pre existing conditions.
 

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2001
Messages
19,587
Reaction score
1,218
MediShield Life can be exempted if you had a annuity plan eg other private retirement plan.
 

01asdf

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2015
Messages
9,251
Reaction score
1
Yes. But I haven't heard anyone mentioning anything better

Sent from lala using GAGT

I'm pretty sure you have mixed up medishield life with CPF life. Medishield life is compulsory even if you no longer reside in Singapore as long as you don't give up your citizenship, regardless of whether you have other coverage from your employer or other national insurance schemes.

CPF life is the one that can be replaced by an annuity equivalent.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top