Desktop cannot power on

JesusLovesUs

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
0
Just now I heard a loud pop and my house's Circuit breaker tripped.

Turns out my server desktop uplorry...

The PSU seems to be broken. Switched 2 spare PSU from other desktop to try, cannot power on. The power light will switch on and fade away after a few seconds. Fan will run.

Tried switching the rams inside to other slots, didnt work. What else should I try? I am thinking the motherboard or CPU uplorry, haven't tried swapping the CPU yet..

Any idea what's going on? What should I do?
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
Most likely your failing PSU bring motherboard along to the grave too.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Well if u can try to take out your server board and inspect is there any components like burn make or like some black spot?
 

JesusLovesUs

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
0
Ok, I will do that tomorrow and report back. Need to rush my assignment today D:
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
rest%20in%20peace_zpsicmvsl4n.gif
 

JesusLovesUs

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
0
I have opened up the PSU and inspected it, found no bad capacitors on it :/ The capacitors were not bloated nor was there reddish brown dried up electrolyte visible on them.
Tried a few power cables (working), but unable to jump stasrt the PSU.

Is there anything I can do to find out what is wrong with it and fix it?
 

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,618
Reaction score
178
Erm you are not supposed to take apart the PSU; you could have injured yourself!

Opening up the computer case and taking a look at the internal of the computer is safe though.

Maybe can at least take pic of the mainboard and post here?
 

JesusLovesUs

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
0
I tried again with another PSU, everything else except the old PSU is broken. Guess I will be getting a new PSU, will see if I can locate and replace the bad capacitor on the PSU.

Thanks everyone!
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
You better give up the idea unless you are willing to risk killing your mobo and more!
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,072
Reaction score
1,766
I tried again with another PSU, everything else except the old PSU is broken. Guess I will be getting a new PSU, will see if I can locate and replace the bad capacitor on the PSU.

Thanks everyone!

I assume you know what you are doing. The capacitors can retain their charge for months and these can give you a very nasty shock.
 

JesusLovesUs

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
0
ah.. I didnt know they could hold the charge that long!

I will listen to your advice and buy a new one, thanks!
 

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2001
Messages
53,997
Reaction score
18
Capacitors in computer PSU won't hold the charge for months, there are inductor and bleed resistor to discharge them. But for safety reason and you're trained in this field, advisable not to poke around in the opened chassis PSU.

DO NOT attempt to repair amplifier or similar device/equipment if you're not trained, the capacitors can indeed hold the charge for months.
 

aismanja

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2015
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
No need check psu anymore.. get a new set... but before u connect yr psu.. please check yr mobo front and back for any marks of burn...
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,072
Reaction score
1,766
Capacitors in computer PSU won't hold the charge for months, there are inductor and bleed resistor to discharge them. But for safety reason and you're trained in this field, advisable not to poke around in the opened chassis PSU.

DO NOT attempt to repair amplifier or similar device/equipment if you're not trained, the capacitors can indeed hold the charge for months.

You are assuming that the resistors are still working fine.

Generally, you are correct but if I am dealing with a possibly defective PSU, I would not take the risk.

For the OP, an article for some background info. http://www.overclock.net/a/capacitor-safety-in-power-supplies
 

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2001
Messages
53,997
Reaction score
18
You are assuming that the resistors are still working fine.

If the bleed resistor isn't working, you can't power on the PSU let alone charging the capacitor.

Generally, you are correct but if I am dealing with a possibly defective PSU, I would not take the risk.

Nobody should take any risk dealing with capacitors. Capacitors in computer PSU is not that scary if you know the circuit and the less known function of the inductor, VR and cooling fan. The capacitors are usually drained within minute.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,072
Reaction score
1,766
Likely the reason why TS's PSU cannot properly power up. The fault 99% lies with the primary circuit (AC) filter capacitor or the bleed resistor, nothing to do with the secondary circuit (DC).

So if I understand you correctly, the capacity or bleed resistor is likely to be faulty. Either way, this means that there is still a risk of electric shock from the capacitor.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top