Does it make sense to change washing machine?

Shahmatt

Master Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2006
Messages
2,532
Reaction score
48
My 4 year old Panasonic NA-FD85X1HRQ washing machine has had a lot of problems out of warranty.

First the motor died about 1 year ago. Replaced using official service center.

Next, the internal hose cracked and started to leak. Replaced using official service center..

Last month, the motherboard burnt. Replaced using official service center..

So far, I think I spent nearly $400+ on just replacement of parts.

I am afraid the inverter type motor will give problems again after some time.

Wondering is it better to try to sell this and get a new one as most of the important parts are new or relatively new.

If I buy new: A new machine will have warranty. I can consider getting more capacity, which will be helpful, as it is possible this machine has struggled to keep up with our somewhat heavy use (Normally close to max load with maybe 30-40 runs per month).

If I keep: The service repair time is still quite fast - within two to three day, and I will save money from not spending extra on a new machine.

Is it normal that modern washing machines require repair so frequently? Appreciate any advice.
 

estrangable

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
1,155
Reaction score
90
of cos u change it la... a washing machine is only 700 bucks or so. use for 5 years then u can dump it.
 

elvintay07

Suspended
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Messages
12,367
Reaction score
4,441
My 4 year old Panasonic NA-FD85X1HRQ washing machine has had a lot of problems out of warranty.

First the motor died about 1 year ago. Replaced using official service center.

Next, the internal hose cracked and started to leak. Replaced using official service center..

Last month, the motherboard burnt. Replaced using official service center..

So far, I think I spent nearly $400+ on just replacement of parts.

I am afraid the inverter type motor will give problems again after some time.

Wondering is it better to try to sell this and get a new one as most of the important parts are new or relatively new.

If I buy new: A new machine will have warranty. I can consider getting more capacity, which will be helpful, as it is possible this machine has struggled to keep up with our somewhat heavy use (Normally close to max load with maybe 30-40 runs per month).

If I keep: The service repair time is still quite fast - within two to three day, and I will save money from not spending extra on a new machine.

Is it normal that modern washing machines require repair so frequently? Appreciate any advice.
Change the most economical
 

Euqorab

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Messages
24,914
Reaction score
4,634
Why want to continue throw good money after bad?

Quickly sell it on Carousell for landlords to buy :s13:
 

zerodddd

Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2016
Messages
131
Reaction score
13
pre-owned washing machine can sell?

I mean, will there be any potential buyer for it?
 

LWZ

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2016
Messages
40,261
Reaction score
15,922
Wah almost full load more than once daily

How many pax in ur household ?
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,479
Reaction score
3,162
you wash more than once per day? 😲
not a fan of top load so I'd suggest change to front load
current Samsung front load washer about 10yrs and still chugging along
 

cstanhwz

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2005
Messages
3,417
Reaction score
268
Think washing machine is one of those things that need to get extended warranty one.

My Panasonic front load washing machine display and LEDs always got problem.

Change 3 times already.

Now spoil again, need to call them to do servicing.

Lucky got buy extended warranty.

Hoping for a more expensive part to fail and claim warranty again to maximize the extended warranty...hahah
 

Shahmatt

Master Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2006
Messages
2,532
Reaction score
48
you wash more than once per day? 😲
not a fan of top load so I'd suggest change to front load
current Samsung front load washer about 10yrs and still chugging along
Front load more reliable?
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,479
Reaction score
3,162
Front load more reliable?
I feel so yea. perhaps something to do with the water load. used a top load previously and it conked out after 3yrs, drum broke off from the attachment on 1 side.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top