External HDD problem.

amoslin

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Recently I had bought a new laptop but my external HDD cannot be detected.

There is absolutely no response from the pc itself, no popups, no sound. However there is light on my HDD but it is always on unlike the usual blinking light. It also seems like the HDD is not functioning as there is no humming noise.

I had tested all the ports on my pc with my mouse which works fine and it seems like only the HDD is acting funny. I had also checked both the device and disk managers and it seems to have no trace of any new devices.

But when I plug back my HDD to my old laptop, it is working fine. Functioning USB port is 2.0, while the not functioning USB is 3.0. HDD is 3.0.


Anyone know the problem?:s11:
 
Last edited:

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,833
Reaction score
1,780
Recently I had bought a new laptop but my external HDD cannot be detected.

There is absolutely no response from the pc itself, no popups, no sound. However there is light on my HDD but it is always on unlike the usual blinking light. It also seems like the HDD is not functioning as there is no humming noise.

I had tested all the ports on my pc with my mouse which works fine and it seems like only the HDD is acting funny. I had also checked both the device and disk managers and it seems to have no trace of any new devices.

But when I plug back my HDD to my old laptop, it is working fine. Functioning USB port is 2.0, while the not functioning USB is 3.0. HDD is 3.0.
Anyone know the problem?:s11:

install usb 3 drivers for your laptop?
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,695
Reaction score
525
Sound like not enough power to external HDD. Is the USB3.0 cable having a single or double USB connectors?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top