Galaxy Note Edge gone nuts

blurtaurus

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Before this problem with my battery occurred, I would take a fully charged phone to work and use it occasionally for Instagram, Facebook, Whatsapp and emails. By the time I reach home at about 7 pm the battery would be about 60 to 65%. I could still do some web surfing, watch some Youtube videos and use Instagram & Facebook occasionally before I go to bed, by which time the battery would be about 40 to 45%.

After my battery somehow corked up overnight, I found my battery hitting 20% as early as 5 pm! I even made a conscious effort NOT to use my phone for anything at all and still, it would be about 20% even before I left the office. Not to mention my phone was never hot before but these few days I can really feel the heat when phone is in my pocket.

I reformatted my phone last night and did a reinstall of my apps. So technically if it was a software issue or an app update which screwed up my battery, that should solve the problem I assume.

This time I refrained from installing all my previous apps, just those that I often make use of and those that might come in useful one day. I also disabled all those pre-installed apps which I can't uninstall. As advised by one website, I even downloaded Greenify to hibernate all those apps hiding in the background.

NFC, locations service, Bluetooth & all the fancy stuff like Air Command & Smart Gestures are off. Not even using LTE but running on 3G when there is no Wi-Fi. I was told to use Wifi smart location switch as it supposedly saves battery but I notice it kept reverting to 3G even when there was wifi so I gave up on that & just left wifi on permanently.

It is 10 am now and so far the battery is at 89%. Let's see how it goes. RAM Status says 1.95GB out of 2.7GB and zero active applications. Application Manager says 1.6GB used and 1.1GB free under "Running. Show cached processes". Good news is the phone is not as hot as last few days.

Just hope the battery life is back to normal. ASSUMING (God forbid!) the battery life still sucks, can I then assume its a problem with my battery seeing that I've already reformatted my phone?

Hi Bro,

Fully understand your frustration. I am using Note 4, not the Edge version. I also had this battery problem. Went to service centre at Marina 5 times but still cannot resolve. They keep telling me no problem after they changed the battery and motherboard during the first 2 visits.

In the end, I noticed that the battery is ok when on 3G network instead of LTE. Gave up on the Samsung service centre and used 3G network instead of LTE. After a few weeks, switched back to LTE and found the battery draining issue gone. Occasionally (about once every 4-5 charges), battery will suddenly start to drain but can be resolved with a reboot.

FYI.
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
Hi Bro,

Fully understand your frustration. I am using Note 4, not the Edge version. I also had this battery problem. Went to service centre at Marina 5 times but still cannot resolve. They keep telling me no problem after they changed the battery and motherboard during the first 2 visits.

In the end, I noticed that the battery is ok when on 3G network instead of LTE. Gave up on the Samsung service centre and used 3G network instead of LTE. After a few weeks, switched back to LTE and found the battery draining issue gone. Occasionally (about once every 4-5 charges), battery will suddenly start to drain but can be resolved with a reboot.

FYI.
Thanks but I've been on 3G all along. I know it saves battery life so I've never used LTE. And I always turn my phone off when I go to bed so technically I reboot my phone daily.

Anyway my phone was okay all along till few days ago suddenly went nuts. Phone very warm and battery drains very fast. Didn't change settings so I can only suspect it was one of the updates to one of my apps that did something. :s27::s16:

Anyway, further to my earlier post, its now 2.20 pm and battery life is 80%. Earlier at 10 am it was 89%. So roughly 9% drop in 4 hours. I guess that's fine considering my phone is at 80% now. If it was yesterday or the day before, the phone would be about 50% by this time. And by the time it was 6 pm the warning sound was going off and I was down to 20%! So yeah, I guess the reformat did the trick.

Since I didn't change any settings at all, I really wonder which f*cking app update was the one that cause all this sh*t in the first place!! :frus::mad: If I knew I'd swear to stay clear of that app forever!
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
Looks like celebrated too early. Phone suddenly went v hot when viewing a PDF & batt started draining v fast from 50% downwards. Charged my phone when i got home. Have used it for about 10 min & already dropped 10%.

Sh*t lah looks like only option is try replacing the battery.
 
Last edited:

Hinata76

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2002
Messages
26,225
Reaction score
0
Thanks but I've been on 3G all along. I know it saves battery life so I've never used LTE. And I always turn my phone off when I go to bed so technically I reboot my phone daily.

Anyway my phone was okay all along till few days ago suddenly went nuts. Phone very warm and battery drains very fast. Didn't change settings so I can only suspect it was one of the updates to one of my apps that did something. :s27::s16:

Anyway, further to my earlier post, its now 2.20 pm and battery life is 80%. Earlier at 10 am it was 89%. So roughly 9% drop in 4 hours. I guess that's fine considering my phone is at 80% now. If it was yesterday or the day before, the phone would be about 50% by this time. And by the time it was 6 pm the warning sound was going off and I was down to 20%! So yeah, I guess the reformat did the trick.

Since I didn't change any settings at all, I really wonder which f*cking app update was the one that cause all this sh*t in the first place!! :frus::mad: If I knew I'd swear to stay clear of that app forever!
seems ur suffering from the phone..
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
Seriously give up. Formatted the phone & installed minimal apps. Batt life was ok after that for 3/4 day but coincidence or not, after i open a PDF file batt became hot again & drained like bad.

Since reformating did not work i can only assume the batt itself is ******. So bought a new batt. Have been using the phone for instagram & web for barely 15 mins & 100% drop to 95 already. So obviously the batt was not the problem either.

Really dont know what the hell is wrong lah!!
 

Kel1ng

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2011
Messages
575
Reaction score
23
Seriously give up. Formatted the phone & installed minimal apps. Batt life was ok after that for 3/4 day but coincidence or not, after i open a PDF file batt became hot again & drained like bad.

Since reformating did not work i can only assume the batt itself is ******. So bought a new batt. Have been using the phone for instagram & web for barely 15 mins & 100% drop to 95 already. So obviously the batt was not the problem either.

Really dont know what the hell is wrong lah!!

Just curious, is your pdf file stored on an external sd card? I have experience that problem b4. After changing a new sd card, everything was back to normal.
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
Just curious, is your pdf file stored on an external sd card? I have experience that problem b4. After changing a new sd card, everything was back to normal.
Yes it is. So u think its SD card problem? But i have used the SD card for many months & watched videos & stuff on it & there have been no issues so far. Would reformatting the SD card help?

Anyway how does one format SD card on the phone?
 

Kel1ng

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2011
Messages
575
Reaction score
23
Yes it is. So u think its SD card problem? But i have used the SD card for many months & watched videos & stuff on it & there have been no issues so far. Would reformatting the SD card help?

Anyway how does one format SD card on the phone?

Why not just take out the sd card or remove that particular pdf file....(maybe file corrupted) for 1/2 a day and see whether the problem persists? Btw what sd card are you using?
 
Last edited:

Kel1ng

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2011
Messages
575
Reaction score
23
Yes it is. So u think its SD card problem? But i have used the SD card for many months & watched videos & stuff on it & there have been no issues so far. Would reformatting the SD card help?

Anyway how does one format SD card on the phone?

Formating of sd card: settings, storage, format sd card
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
Why not just take out the sd card or remove that particular pdf file....(maybe file corrupted) for 1/2 a day and see whether the problem persists? Btw what sd card are you using?
Ok am formatting now. Will not save those few PDFs for a week and see how it goes. Damn weird that all along its okay and suddenly like this. Even those PDFs have been there for like weeks.

Have taken out and put back the SD card too. Mine is this card:
samsung-mb-mgbgb-400x400-imadj79ys3hy9zft.jpeg


At first I thought its the PDF viewer but then again all along I've been using this Hancom viewer which was pre-installed. Didn't even dare use Aldiko PDF even though I downloaded since its so bloody sensitive now.

Sh*t that didnt work either. 6% drop in just over an hour. And i wasnt even using the phone!!
 
Last edited:

Kel1ng

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2011
Messages
575
Reaction score
23
Ok am formatting now. Will not save those few PDFs for a week and see how it goes. Damn weird that all along its okay and suddenly like this. Even those PDFs have been there for like weeks.

Have taken out and put back the SD card too. Mine is this card:
samsung-mb-mgbgb-400x400-imadj79ys3hy9zft.jpeg


At first I thought its the PDF viewer but then again all along I've been using this Hancom viewer which was pre-installed. Didn't even dare use Aldiko PDF even though I downloaded since its so bloody sensitive now.

Sh*t that didnt work either. 6% drop in just over an hour. And i wasnt even using the phone!!

How about removing your sd card and try agian. A screen shot of your battery status would be useful.
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
How about removing your sd card and try agian. A screen shot of your battery status would be useful.
This is a real mystery. No changes to any settings and today the battery seems fine. :eek: Walau eh like machiam got mood swing sia! This makes it even harder to isolate the problem.

Left home this morning with 99% and now its 85% which is kind of normal i.e. before all this sh*t happened that was roughly the mileage I was getting. Let's see if it maintains.

The last time after I did a re-format of my phone I was so happy that battery was back to normal until I opened one PDF file at about 630 pm and after that the phone got overheated and the battery started draining super fast again.

Let's hope that doesn't happen again today.
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
Hope i dont jinx it by saying this but so far its been 2 days & battery life seems to have gone back to normal.

The only change is i have not used yahoo mail app. No other changes to settings or usage. Oh and i've stopped using kingsoft to view doc, xls & PDF. I choose dropbox viewer which seems to activate the preinstalled hancom viewer.

If everything is confirmed back to normal then i can safely say it was an update to either kingsoft or yahoo mail app that fooked things up.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top