[Help needed] WD My passport issue

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
13,373
Reaction score
1,540
ensure usb cable, usb port on pc is not oxidised or corroded
back up the data quickly and send for rma.
do it with a desktop, least its more 'powerful'

The WD is more than 5 yo. Went to check at WD website, warranty expired some time back, so RMA not an option.

Also, no desktop at home.
 
Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Any recommendation for HDD and casing brand and model?

I think I will go this combi for my next back-up HDD option.

hdd wise, i cant reco, since am not bothering about 2.5" type one.

next is that for casing can considerr Orico or maybe those docking system at SLS, (brands wise like dunno who or what de. but i think orico might have)
 

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
6,089
Reaction score
1
Any recommendation for HDD and casing brand and model?

I think I will go this combi for my next back-up HDD option.

External casing for 2.5" HDD/SSD go for screw-less type such as Neo and other brand & type which i have plenty.

You may consider this > Here! for flexible and easy use, if you have more HDD/SSD.

The main point if you want external HDD is those that can easily removable which i preferred and have bought several.
Hence i stop getting sealed & enclosed external HDD unless no choice.
 

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
13,373
Reaction score
1,540
I am not necessarily going for the cheapest option. After experiencing this propriety issue with WD portable HDD, I may just prefer a non-propriety solution, even if it costs a little more.
 

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
13,373
Reaction score
1,540
External casing for 2.5" HDD/SSD go for screw-less type such as Neo and other brand & type which i have plenty.

You may consider this > Here! for flexible and easy use, if you have more HDD/SSD.

The main point if you want external HDD is those that can easily removable which i preferred and have bought several.
Hence i stop getting sealed & enclosed external HDD unless no choice.

This is for cloning?
 

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
6,089
Reaction score
1
This is for cloning?

Not necessary as it still can be used to connect for normal usage.

I used this for normal usage to connect to several SSD and HDD where necessary... too many SSD & HDD... merely convenient.

It is good if you want to change your current drive.. that's upgrade to SSD or higher/better HDD as to clone the OS before swapping.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
regretfully, i have to take back what I said about seperate being cheaper than a portable HDD :s22:


Portable HDDs are cheap ass these days.


BUT


If you want a decent portable SSD, then the seperate option is definitely still viable.



Also you should consider your interface.


I use eSATA, which is legacy to most people. However, in terms of performance and consistency I get a lot more bite with eSATA than USB 3.


I say this because my W510 is on dual boot, and the 2nd OS must come off an external drive.


Having tried Windows 10 over USB 3 and eSATA, the latter clearly destroyed the former in performance. Even though both transfer rates are theoretically the same.

yup ext drive are cheaper buying it separately.
 

jq75

Honorary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2000
Messages
143,057
Reaction score
5,010
SSD still too ex for me.
will still stick with normal 2.5"
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top