Help with frequent BSOD

  • Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mental Health Helpline: 6389-2222 (24 hours) More info

Opticilon

Member
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
173
Reaction score
0
Hello all,

I started getting BSODs since a week ago and they have been increasing in frequency. They seem to occur usually when I am gaming.

However, for these past couple of days there have been either BSOD or "screen effects right before a BSOD" even when I am watching a video or simply not doing anything.

The STOP codes are not always the same either. They were either 0x00000050 or 0x0000007E for awhile. Online searches led to me believing it was either a RAM or HDD issue. Thus, i ran memtest and HDtune to test each of them separately. Both tests came out without errors.

Today, I got a new STOP code: 0x00000116, and included nvlddmkm.sys as part of the BSOD (now i have 3 different codes happening at similar usage of pc). I did a sys restore and also reinstalled the nvidia driver but both failed to stop the BSODs from occuring.

However, i tried running Video Memory Stress Test. While it did pass the first time, I tried running it again. I left the PC and walked away and came back to a 0x00000116 BSOD. This led to me believing that it is a hardware issue with my GPU.

Then, another BSOD happened when I was watching an online video. This time the code is 0x00000050 though.

I am really unsure as to which part of my pc is down and if it even is a hardware problem.

My specs are as follow:

Intel i5-2320
Biostar TP67B+
Kingston DDR3 RAM 4GB
MSI GTX 560 Twin Frozr II
Hitachi 500GB HDD
FSP Aurum 500w Gold
Sony 24X DVD-RW

I will really appreciate it if someone can tell what exactly is causing the BSODs on my PC. Sorry for the long read but I am hoping that the details will help. At the moment I am leaning towards to RMA-ing my GPU.

(If anyone requires the dump files that I keep reading about on forums, please let me know how to attach them here!)

Thanks:)
 

xkiller213

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2012
Messages
647
Reaction score
0
you proc has integrated graphics... powerful enough for basic usage + HD video... no gaming only... use that first and see if still BSOD?
 

Opticilon

Member
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
173
Reaction score
0
I came home today and tried turning on my pc. It wont even get to the log in screen without showing a0x116 bsod with the nvidia driver as the culprit. I tried a few times and it all ended with the same result.

I then went into safe mode and removed the driver. I also followed some instructions on nvidia forums to remove all nvidia files from my pc. Following this, i installed the latest nvidia drivers (340.52 i believe).

I restarted my pc and the same bsod occured again.

I am going to uninstall the driver once again and then try to use blue screen view.

Thanks all for ur suggestions. Please continue to assist if possible!
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
I came home today and tried turning on my pc. It wont even get to the log in screen without showing a0x116 bsod with the nvidia driver as the culprit. I tried a few times and it all ended with the same result.

I then went into safe mode and removed the driver. I also followed some instructions on nvidia forums to remove all nvidia files from my pc. Following this, i installed the latest nvidia drivers (340.52 i believe).

I restarted my pc and the same bsod occured again.

I am going to uninstall the driver once again and then try to use blue screen view.

Thanks all for ur suggestions. Please continue to assist if possible!

If reinstalling the drivers do not help, then it could be a failing GPU. Bring your rig to PC Care & Solution at #02-32 and ask Nigel to help test your GPU and to lend you a spare GPU to test your system to ensure that it is your GPU that is causing the problem.
 

caboombamm

Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2014
Messages
196
Reaction score
0
check temperature

I hv a very old AMD Phenom 2 PC with frequent BSOD with different error code. Troubleshooting with various hardwares, finally it was the CPU not sitting properly.. Like dawnknight says: heat issue was the culprit.
 

Opticilon

Member
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
173
Reaction score
0
If reinstalling the drivers do not help, then it could be a failing GPU. Bring your rig to PC Care & Solution at #02-32 and ask Nigel to help test your GPU and to lend you a spare GPU to test your system to ensure that it is your GPU that is causing the problem.

Would that be the same as bringing my gpu only to corbell for them to test?

And the store u mentioned is at sls right?
 

Opticilon

Member
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
173
Reaction score
0
I hv a very old AMD Phenom 2 PC with frequent BSOD with different error code. Troubleshooting with various hardwares, finally it was the CPU not sitting properly.. Like dawnknight says: heat issue was the culprit.

I just cleaned it though-remove quite abit of dust but didnt help. Could it be due to the thermal paste on both the gpu and cpu?

Edit: According to the bios h/w monitor, the temp is 60+c with thr side open
 
Last edited:

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
I just cleaned it though-remove quite abit of dust but didnt help. Could it be due to the thermal paste on both the gpu and cpu?
Edit: According to the bios h/w monitor, the temp is 60+c with thr side open
Would that be the same as bringing my gpu only to corbell for them to test?
And the store u mentioned is at sls right?

1) Yo, 60C is too 'heaty' for idle temps, go reapply thermal paste and see if it helps make the CPU less 'heaty'. You may not want to open up your GPU as it may violate warranty terms if your GPU is still under warranty.

2) Well, if your GPU still has warranty, you can bring it to Corbell for testing. However, as your motherboard does not support integrated graphics, you cannot use the integrated graphics to try isloating the problem to the GPU and I am more afraid that if the GPU is not at fault, it will be a wasted trip. Hence, I suggest that you should go to Nigel's shop at SLS as he can lend you a spare GPU to help troubleshoot your rig.
 

Opticilon

Member
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
173
Reaction score
0
1) Yo, 60C is too 'heaty' for idle temps, go reapply thermal paste and see if it helps make the CPU less 'heaty'. You may not want to open up your GPU as it may violate warranty terms if your GPU is still under warranty.

2) Well, if your GPU still has warranty, you can bring it to Corbell for testing. However, as your motherboard does not support integrated graphics, you cannot use the integrated graphics to try isloating the problem to the GPU and I am more afraid that if the GPU is not at fault, it will be a wasted trip. Hence, I suggest that you should go to Nigel's shop at SLS as he can lend you a spare GPU to help troubleshoot your rig.

Ok i better go buy some then. Challenger got sell or not ar? Wont have time to drop by sls in the next couple of days unfortunately. If can buy thermal paste i will reapplying first before deciding gonna bring my rig down.

Thanks for the advice!
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
Ok i better go buy some then. Challenger got sell or not ar? Wont have time to drop by sls in the next couple of days unfortunately. If can buy thermal paste i will reapplying first before deciding gonna bring my rig down.

Thanks for the advice!

No, try Cyberactive. They may only have CM thermal paste though.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top